DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military aircraft flying no airports or military bases close by

Are there any rules about fly below the 400’ limit when random military aircraft are training? I live in NE South Carolina there no military bases close to me but on random occasions the military has a lot of training in the airspace above me today several fighter jets passed directly over me about 5 times some days this a lot of Helo traffic Apache and Boeing CH-47s the jets probably are never going to be a it’s it the CH-47s could fly below the 400’ I just don’t want to be responsible for a collision! I can usually here them but there have been a few time the jets loud engines block out the helicopters sounds are they supposed to fly over residential areas at certain altitudes? I swear the CH-47s have been well below 400’ quite a few times! Before I had the drone! How do you deal with this unexpected and random air traffic .
Those are big machines, they may appear closer than actually are.

Is the offset constant and always present?

Yes I have never seen it correctly both my windshield mounted Garmin and not my android phones tell me to turn into the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant at the fork in the road when I tell them to take me home actually it’s a little before that at a Garage service center.

Yes I have never seen it correctly both my windshield mounted Garmin and not my android phones tell me to turn into the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant at the fork in the road when I tell them to take me home actually it’s a little before that at a Garage service center.

Routing is a different beast - that's not an accurate way to gauge what's happening. What you might want to do is find a fixed, identifiable location (such as a road junction) and then record the exact coordinates that your various devices settle on for that location. That will allow you to determine if it is incorrect GPS coordinates (unlikely) or a mapping/geo-registration problem.

If you download the hover app it will tell you were there is military restrictions at (MOA). I would hate to be in a uh60 doing nap of the earth and get hit by a drone. I’m already scared has it is.

The hover app doesn’t show me anything not even the farm airfield the B4UFly app does
55e100d86944e165cebad582edc403de.jpg
0a00f49521aade32754b2cabead35c3f.jpg

Routing is a different beast - that's not an accurate way to gauge what's happening. What you might want to do is find a fixed, identifiable location (such as a road junction) and then record the exact coordinates that your various devices settle on for that location. That will allow you to determine if it is incorrect GPS coordinates (unlikely) or a mapping/geo-registration problem.

I have done that I have a very accurate Handheld Garmin and it’s off also
3569d1f08688e375926b398b1b16f9e9.jpg

That sux. It show it for me. We’re I’m at.

Not long ago someone had there drone hit a military helicopter in NYC because the app didn’t warn him of a temporary restriction something about the UN

I have done that I have a very accurate Handheld Garmin and it’s off also
3569d1f08688e375926b398b1b16f9e9.jpg

Right, but you don't know based just on that whether the device coordinates are incorrect of the geo-registration of the mapping that you are looking at is wrong. If multiple GPS units all indicate the same, consistent, coordinates, then I would suspect mapping errors. Have you compared multiple map sources?

This must be one of those where ignorance of the law is no excuse for the law! Like New Jersey if you were never there and own a B.B. gun most states see it as a toy but NJ you can pickup a (Felony Gun Charge) for possession of a Crossman airgun if you don’t have a handgun permit ! One of the biggest issues with USA (The United States Of America) when it should actually be called the DSA ( Divided States Of America )

Not long ago someone had there drone hit a military helicopter in NYC because the app didn’t warn him of a temporary restriction something about the UN

More accurately he hit a helicopter because he was flying over 3 miles away, far beyond VLOS so he could not see or hear the helicopters, in a busy flight lane, and had not checked for TFRs, which you cannot and should not rely on the Go app to do for you.

Right, but you don't know based just on that whether the device coordinates are incorrect of the geo-registration of the mapping that you are looking at is wrong. If multiple GPS units all indicate the same, consistent, coordinates, then I would suspect mapping errors. Have you compared multiple map sources?

Google, Bing, Mapquest, any I can find all day the same thing! Your right the gps is probably right but the map is out of alignment for some reason I don’t know if all of this places use the same map data? I thought Garmin used there own? I have all the maps for the Garmin even the topo

Yea I know. I use hover because they use airmap for data and it’s accurate in my neck of the woods. But I also have airmap and the FAA. I try to avoid areas where the military flies at.

More accurately he hit a helicopter because he was flying over 3 miles away, far beyond VLOS so he could not see or hear the helicopters, in a busy flight lane, and had not checked for TFRs, which you cannot and should not rely on the Go app to do for you.

The impact happened way below 400’ yes he didn’t have VLOS but in certain circumstances manned aircraft goes below the 400’ and makes the use of the apps meaningless because you can check B4UFly (no pun intended) and have something change while your flying it’s real hard to fly and constantly check a app for changes actually could be more dangerous kind of like being distracted while driving instead of paying attention to the road! The FAA will probably have to make the apps link in real time with the Drone pilots flying app to warn them while flying

He also didn’t have cell or WiFi connection so he wouldn’t have real-time info. He would have to check prior to leaving his home to get the info.

The impact happened way below 400’ yes he didn’t have VLOS but in certain circumstances manned aircraft goes below the 400’ and makes the use of the apps meaningless because you can check B4UFly (no pun intended) and have something change while your flying it’s real hard to fly and constantly check a app for changes actually could be more dangerous kind of like being distracted while driving instead of paying attention to the road! The FAA will probably have to make the apps link in real time with the Drone pilots flying app to warn them while flying

No - firstly the primary responsibility is on the UAV pilot to check for TFRs and, secondly to be close enough (the VLOS bit) to the UAV to have a reasonable chance of seeing/hearing and avoiding manned aircraft. If that's "real hard" to do then he should not be flying at all. This TFR did not pop up while he was flying. There are serious responsibilities associated with flying anything in airspace where manned aviation occurs. The helicopter was perfectly legitimately below 500 ft AGL per 91.119, never mind that it also had the protection of a TFR which should have meant there was no other traffic in the area.

The apps are an aid at most and it's not the FAA's responsibility to pander to lazy, ignorant UAV pilots. What is more likely to happen is that Congress will lose patience with the situation and legislate to remove the protection of Part 101, allowing the FAA to apply much tighter restrictions on recreational flight.

Sounds like they are using a navigation beacon located a few miles SW of Walhalla for intercepting IFR headings. There is a MOA (military operation area) to the north of you. Snowbird MOA. It is designated by the crimson hash marks in a box on the VFR sectional chart. Check out, vfrmap.com the MOA does not list a minimum altitude. Some MOA's have a minimum altitude for operations.

Sounds like they are using a navigation beacon located a few miles SW of Walhalla for intercepting IFR headings. There is a MOA (military operation area) to the north of you. Snowbird MOA. It is designated by the crimson hash marks in a box on the VFR sectional chart. Check out, vfrmap.com the MOA does not list a minimum altitude. Some MOA's have a minimum altitude for operations.

No chance they are using any "beacon."
Not even sure what that means.

If they are very low and fast, they are probably on the VR route indicated on the sectional.
That is a low level training route.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder