DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military aircraft flying no airports or military bases close by

Only a small dirt airfield I’m just on the edge of it!
28c55ec9d6a00758fe841b4eebacad87.jpg
it’s not really used anymore.
You need a sectional map like this, you can download them free from the FAA website. These maps are continuously being updated and are your best bet for determining what type air space you are in. Study for your part 107 license which will also help you to understand the law [emoji106]

6c46980bba785810013a82b76d52131b.jpg

I was going to fly at work today but about 6 UH60 flew overhead. They were about 150-200 feet AGL.

You need a sectional map like this, you can download them free from the FAA website. These maps are continuously being updated and are your best bet for determining what type air space you are in.
"Sectional Charts" are actually printed every 6 months. Every 56 days an Aeronautical Chart Bulletin (ACB) is put out within a publication called the Airport/Facility Directory. Within the ACB changes to current sectionals will be indicated. Online publications for aeronautical navigation are not official documents but for the sUAV world will provide basic airspace data, enough to keep folks out of trouble.

For those living in larger cities that are close to a class B airport, I would recommend using a Terminal Chart as it is 250,000 to 1 scale in lieu of 500,000 to 1 scale found on a Sectional

I started looking at the charts on the FAA website just have to learn how to read them, something to do while the cold keeps my MPP In the hanger

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
1. Look at Skyvector...yea it may not be the official document but as a military pilot with over 3000 hours, Ive never had an issue with it.

2. It looks like VR058-097 and VR092 go right over you. These are VFR military training routes that are controlled by Shaw AFB. I highly recommend calling the scheduler at 803-895-1118/1119 every time you're going to fly to find out if anyone's on the route that day. Be respectful and they should help you. If they don't, ask for their wing flight safety office, who may be able to mediate.

3. More Military Training Route information may be found here for the entire US:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...HCyQQFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw0G-uEQaosZNAdbKK8JHIrs

I'll add: the scheduler should be able to find out what altitude most pilots will be at when crossing over your house. My guess is around 200-500 AGL since the only requirement is to avoid buildings and people by 500 feet (vertically or laterally).

I live in Atlanta. Not close to the airport, but there is a military base not too far away. I see low flying aircraft frequently. News helicopters, traffic reporting helicopters, ambulance helicopters, ... and its not unusual to see low flying military planes and helos. If I hear or see any of them, I just keep my bird very low, <200 ft. Not worth taking a chance.

Not exactly helpful to your situation but have a similar situation here in the UK.

Found out the RAF issue a low flying timetable for fast jets and helicopters. Fast jets are cleared down to 250ft and helicopters ground level in set zones.

Problem is I've encountered low flying typhoons and tornados outwith these zones.

Might be worth looking into whether you are in a training zone or if there is some sort of schedule.

You could fit strobes but I'm not sure how much help that would be to a low flying jet at 500+mph.
Hi Callum,
I'm thinking of coming up to the west coast of Scotland (Islay, Jura, Skye & Raasay) in the spring. Can you give me more info on these low flying timetables you mention?

2. It looks like VR058-097 and VR092 go right over you. These are VFR military training routes that are controlled by Shaw AFB. I highly recommend calling the scheduler at 803-895-1118/1119 every time you're going to fly to find out if anyone's on the route that day. Be respectful and they should help you. If they don't, ask for their wing flight safety office, who may be able to mediate.
Note, however, that there is no requirement to make any contact with the scheduler regarding flying where there is a military training route.

The "see and avoid" requirements, of course, still apply.

Hi Callum,
I'm thinking of coming up to the west coast of Scotland (Islay, Jura, Skye & Raasay) in the spring. Can you give me more info on these low flying timetables you mention?
Hi Callum,
Make sure to sample some of the local whisky while your there. Did a western isles whisky tour few years ago. Was excellent. Arran is also nice, go there regularly but yet to take the mavic, spring hopefully.

MOD only publish timetable for 3 out of the 20 low flying zones, these 3 are tactical training areas (TTA).
On a closer look the timetable is pretty pointless unless you want to go see the aircraft as it states other operations may be carried out on days with no schedule.

The schedule for these are here,
Military low flying: RAF operational low flying training timetable - GOV.UK

Where you are wanting to go is not covered by one of these TTAs, but a standard low flying area LFA14 which covers pretty much the whole of Scotland.

I'm planning to do some of the western isles in the summer, flying there won't be a problem.

Here's some more info from MOD, at end of leaflet is a telephone number you call and get a daily forecast of low flying for all areas. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...0A3cQFghTMAQ&usg=AOvVaw0C6WANdviccbHHi6HQ7Cmk

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketramo
There are several Military Training Routes (MTRs) in your vicinity that cross Lake Keowee. Referred to as Visual Routes (VR), they are VR58, VR92 and VR97 (running mostly east/west). On a VR route military aircraft can fly from surface to 1500 ft above the ground at speeds above the normal limit (250 knots). As someone else mentioned there is also the Snowbird Military Operating Area to the north of you - looks to be used primarily by Air National Guard out of McGhee Tyson. Hope this helps.

There are several Military Training Routes (MTRs) in your vicinity that cross Lake Keowee. Referred to as Visual Routes (VR), they are VR58, VR92 and VR97 (running mostly east/west). On a VR route military aircraft can fly from surface to 1500 ft above the ground at speeds above the normal limit (250 knots). As someone else mentioned there is also the Snowbird Military Operating Area to the north of you - looks to be used primarily by Air National Guard out of McGhee Tyson. Hope this helps.

I have a uniden BCD996P2 I try to monitor all the military activity that’s not encrypted I don’t know if I don’t have the right frequencies to listen to the air traffic? All I ever hear is some person repeating a series of codes like Alpha Foxtrot Delta 9 Alpha 6 Delta and so on it doesn’t make any sense I tried to assemble it but is code of some sort maybe just training? The scanner can receive everything except the Propitary Kenwood transmissions uniden hasn’t figured that one out and of course I can’t monitor encrypted broadcasts I was hoping the scanner could help me hear what’s going on around me?

1. Look at Skyvector...yea it may not be the official document but as a military pilot with over 3000 hours, Ive never had an issue with it.

3. More Military Training Route information may be found here for the entire US:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...HCyQQFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw0G-uEQaosZNAdbKK8JHIrs

Hi CombatLearjetter. Are you flying C-21s?

Make sure to sample some of the local whisky while your there. Did a western isles whisky tour few years ago. Was excellent. Arran is also nice, go there regularly but yet to take the mavic, spring hopefully.

MOD only publish timetable for 3 out of the 20 low flying zones, these 3 are tactical training areas (TTA).
On a closer look the timetable is pretty pointless unless you want to go see the aircraft as it states other operations may be carried out on days with no schedule.

The schedule for these are here,
Military low flying: RAF operational low flying training timetable - GOV.UK

Where you are wanting to go is not covered by one of these TTAs, but a standard low flying area LFA14 which covers pretty much the whole of Scotland.

I'm planning to do some of the western isles in the summer, flying there won't be a problem.

Here's some more info from MOD, at end of leaflet is a telephone number you call and get a daily forecast of low flying for all areas. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...0A3cQFghTMAQ&usg=AOvVaw0C6WANdviccbHHi6HQ7Cmk
Thanks for all that. You've read my mind. Love a glass or two of the Islay malts. And Arran is also on my itinerary. Probably wont be flying much above 100 feet above ground level anyway, so I'll not be a problem for them.

I have a uniden BCD996P2 I try to monitor all the military activity that’s not encrypted I don’t know if I don’t have the right frequencies to listen to the air traffic? All I ever hear is some person repeating a series of codes like Alpha Foxtrot Delta 9 Alpha 6 Delta and so on it doesn’t make any sense I tried to assemble it but is code of some sort maybe just training? The scanner can receive everything except the Propitary Kenwood transmissions uniden hasn’t figured that one out and of course I can’t monitor encrypted broadcasts I was hoping the scanner could help me hear what’s going on around me?

There is no value in trying to listen to any of this.
While flying low level routes, you generally don't transmit anything at all, other than extremely short situational awareness stuff.

Generally, aircraft on MTRs are not announcing their presence or intent. If more than one aircraft is in the flight or vicinity they may be talking to each other but it would likely be on UHF (uniden scanner won't pick it up). As for the alphanumeric codes transmission, it sounds like a training exercise where transmissions are deciphered by the receiving unit.

I have been looking at skyvector since I live in a pretty dense military area but I have a 2 mile radius between the five mile radius of 2 airports and I cannot find any VR routes but I see blackhawks fly pretty low in my area on occasion. Can someone look at skyvector and tell if I'm missing something? Neither airport is military. I'm about 20 miles from a military or major airport.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada