DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini 2 battery crash question and conversation.....

creedyfbaby

Reactions
ok so I flew off on a battery from my house with 99% battery flew up to less than 400 feet (1200 reality feet) and flew 12000 feet away and usually I get home with 30% battery left but today I flew and at 12000 feet away started my trek back home with 50 percent left and at 43% my battery started draining at a rate I've never seen 1 % every 10 seconds my poor drone didn't make it home and landed 5400 feet away luckily it landed away from trees and in a patch of grass but is that normal for batteries to just start draining like that out of no where the other 3 batteries or this exact battery has never done that before?

ok so I flew off on a battery from my house with 99% battery flew up to less than 400 feet (1200 reality feet) and flew 12000 feet away and usually I get home with 30% battery left but today I flew and at 12000 feet away started my trek back home with 50 percent left and at 43% my battery started draining at a rate I've never seen 1 % every 10 seconds my poor drone didn't make it home and landed 5400 feet away luckily it landed away from trees and in a patch of grass but is that normal for batteries to just start draining like that out of no where the other 3 batteries or this exact battery has never done that before?
Were high winds a factor? Also, props lose efficiency at higher altitudes due to thinner(lower density) air. Batteries lose efficiency at lower temps, lower temps are associated with higher altitudes.

I assume you got your baby back, so that is good to know.

Really sounds like today had conditions as far as wind or whatever
you hadn’t been flying in. I’ve done back to back range test in the same
spot and had similar. Where I range test there are little hills and the wind changes constantly if there is one. Or where there wasn’t one
it suddenly be one. Watch your speed back . If you see it drop way off start looking for a landing spot you can get to.

ok I did find it strange it wasn't getting above 22 mph but honestly I looked at the stability screen to see if the wings were moving to one side or the other and they were perfectly stable but the speed really wasn't where it should have been I think the wind was blowing directly into the drone.

Were high winds a factor? Also, props lose efficiency at higher altitudes due to thinner(lower density) air. Batteries lose efficiency at lower temps, lower temps are associated with higher altitudes.

I assume you got your baby back, so that is good to know.
I got her back and I was happy to see she landed without issue. its just scary losing signal and not seeing it land but it did as it should landed when needed and yes I didn't think about the thin air at that height I guess that all contributed but yea my battery just ran out so quick I should have checked the voltage.

you learn so many lessons from flying....well it looks like another one learned. you literally always learn something from dumb mistakes we make. but I do love learning and I can't wait to learn my next lesson lol

Reactions: dirkclod and DJayI
you learn so many lessons from flying....well it looks like another one learned. you literally always learn something from dumb mistakes we make. but I do love learning and I can't wait to learn my next lesson lol
Yes, at this scale, the opportunity to learn is always present. However, with the big boys, too often the opportunity to learn is cancelled by the fatality of the event.
Something as simple as forgetting to turn on the carb heat can cost a full scale pilot their life.

Reactions: creedyfbaby
It’s a learning process from the start. And never stops. Beleave me ?

Yes, at this scale, the opportunity to learn is always present. However, with the big boys, too often the opportunity to learn is cancelled by the fatality of the event.
Something as simple as forgetting to turn on the carb heat can cost a full scale pilot their life.
what is the carb heat? carburetor heater? and yea that's sad to think of lessons in vain from the fatalities of the air. but I guess from a vast history of flight we have learned a lot of lessons and post 9/11 im sure many more were learned.

what is the carb heat? carburetor heater? and yea that's sad to think of lessons in vain from the fatalities of the air. but I guess from a vast history of flight we have learned a lot of lessons and post 9/11 im sure many more were learned.
With a piston driven engine using a carburetor to supply air/fuel mixture, transitioning from one altitude to another can cause carb icing resulting in the engine starving and dying. It has been years since my last full scale flying lesson(1/2 way to solo) and unfortunately I never went back to finish, but my instructor went on and on about several critical points, carb heat application was among them. Reminds me, need to look him up. :)

People can offer guesses (with a high probability of being wrong), or if you post the flight data someone could probably work out what was actually happening.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you - even if it looks empty.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: DJayI
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eng.Sabri