DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Crash

Nothing. It is what it is.
Actually, I sympathize with you as I did almost exactly that. But it was light stuff and low so I had no damage, just a fall into soft grass. I felt so stupid. I was doing what you were doing, moving sideways taking a photos, though, of a home, but drifted right into a bushy tree. Talk about feeling like a dunce!!!! I knew better. In fact, I thought with no Obstacle Avoidance I'll be better off as I'll really be careful all the time and learn to be a better pilot. You can be sure I keep my height up now and rarely go sideways unable to see what is in front of me. So here is the comment you wanted, to see if anyone else has done that. Still absolutely love my Mini 2. I'll call it the best drone I've ever had, so nimble, quick, and easy to launch and carry. So, Sir, get that drone in shape and get back up there again, wiser and experienced.

Actually, I sympathize with you as I did almost exactly that. But it was light stuff and low so I had no damage, just a fall into soft grass. I felt so stupid. I was doing what you were doing, moving sideways taking a photos, though, of a home, but drifted right into a bushy tree. Talk about feeling like a dunce!!!! I knew better. In fact, I thought with no Obstacle Avoidance I'll be better off as I'll really be careful all the time and learn to be a better pilot. You can be sure I keep my height up now and rarely go sideways unable to see what is in front of me. So here is the comment you wanted, to see if anyone else has done that. Still absolutely love my Mini 2. I'll call it the best drone I've ever had, so nimble, quick, and easy to launch and carry. So, Sir, get that drone in shape and get back up there again, wiser and experienced.
Yeah, when it happened I felt like an idiot for not checking how high I was with the trees nearby. Even with obstacle avoidance, I've still crashed my MA2 twice, but with no significant damage, thankfully. I like the Mini 2, but I like the MA2 much better, especially the video quality and the ability to edit in D-Cinelike for better results.

Reactions: JTZ and Howard70
Yeah, when it happened I felt like an idiot for not checking how high I was with the trees nearby. Even with obstacle avoidance, I've still crashed my MA2 twice, but with no significant damage, thankfully. I like the Mini 2, but I like the MA2 much better, especially the video quality and the ability to edit in D-Cinelike for better results.
Indeed Obstacle Avoidance is not foolproof, except maybe in the case of the Skydio 2, which seems to have the best impressive OA for now. It'll only get better with time. But it comes at a cost in selling price and weight.

Reactions: Severian
Don't feel bad. I have crashed mine several times doing similar things and then finally missed and totaled it. At least the repair bill would have been $300 so I opted for a replacement. Thankfully I bought the care package and have one more left. My lesson learned is KIS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reactions: JTZ
Dude it was a beautiful shot until . . . .. No problem on each project lay out your shots where you can avoid obstacles, if that 360 was a bit tigher you would have been fine. Keep smiling!

Mike

Reactions: JTZ and Howard70
I learned something cool that is related to this from a guy on Youtube. His suggestion was to use the map, basically before I start recording, I fly forward tracing the path I intend to take when recording. This way I am able to see and avoid any obstacles along the path. After that I end up with the blue line on the map along my flight path. Then I start recording facing any direction I want to without any risk of hitting any obstacles as long as I stay along the blue line on the map.

Always fly a high altitude recon flight. That's what I tell myself after every near miss I see while reviewing video. I guess it's called "Situational awareness"
I really like your name icon and I'm sorry you crashed your drone.

Reactions: bcfd29 and Severian
Unfortunate but turned out okay! Could have been much worse as I’ve lost one to the lake after props hit a branch. I always find shots look better from a higher, father perspective too when I get into editing them, and wish the shot was a little farther out. The 4K video makes it easy to zoom in in post production but can’t zoom out.

Reactions: Severian and DJayI
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661