DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 flying without GPS & overriding altitude limit

bassrich

Reactions
Hello,
I have been thinking about getting a DJI Mini 2 and had a question.

Where I expect to fly, I may not have GPS signal. I read elsewhere that the Mini 2 has its max altitude restricted significantly if you do not have GPS signal. I also read there are hacks that bypass some of the restrictions. Do any of them help with this particular issue?

Thank you for your help.

Hello,

Where I expect to fly, I may not have GPS signal. I read elsewhere that the Mini 2 has its max altitude restricted significantly if you do not have GPS signal. I also read there are hacks that bypass some of the restrictions. Do any of them help with this particular issue?

Thank you for your help.

I'm curious about where you might fly that doesn't have GPS service.

Hello,

Thank you for your help.
The GPS signal covers the entire surface of the Earth (and outer space in low earth orbit), as long as there's a reasonably clear view of a fair amount of sky. The only place where it's not available would be under heavy tree canopy, under a thick roof, or at the bottom of a well, or perhaps a very narrow gorge.

If you fly without GPS, the only stability you get is from the downward vision sensors, and they have limited range. I believe the Mini 2 won't let you fly above their range. You might be able to tape over the sensors to disable them entirely, and defeat that limit, or maybe not, I'm not sure.

What I DO know is that if you fly without GPS and above the range of the downward vision sensors, you will be in ATTI mode, meaning you won't have any ability to do a stable hover. The drone will drift around with the slightest breeze, and you'll have to make it stable by constantly making corrections with the sticks. Don't try this in anything except a wide-open space, staying well clear of obstacles. It won't handle the way it normally does when it's got GPS and/or the vision sensors.

But if you fly in a wide open space clear of obstacles, you'll probably get GPS soon enough.

I'd suggest practicing with a toy drone that doesn't have any GPS or vision sensors at all. It'll give the right feeling of ATTI mode, and it'll be a lot cheaper to replace when it crashes.

No .. you can't bypass this issue.
Your height would be restricted to 16 ft (5 m) when GPS is not available.
Where are you thinking there will be no GPS available?

Reactions: Torque
Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Little Drone Gone?

cave.png

Unless you're indoors, or there's some kind of severe weather (or solar flare...) that you wouldn't want to be flying in anyways, you should be having GPS signal. Unless the issue is more about how to disable the GPS so you can remove flight restriction in certain areas...

This thread may be of interest, as it's on a very similar topic (altitude limits in an environment with no GPS). It's for the Mini1 but I suspect the mini2 would behave in a very similar way in the circumstances...

Reactions: LoudThunder
I am also looking for a solution to up the 5 meter limit ...
The solution is to use a different drone.
All the models that use the Fly app have the limitation of not being able to disable the downward facing sensors and a 5 metre ceiling when flown without GPS.

But if you look at the Mavic 2, here's what it can do:
Height is restricted to 16 ft (5 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated.
Height is restricted to 98 ft (30 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated.

Or to go higher, look for a Phantom 4 pro
Height is restricted to 26 feet (8 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Vision Positioning is activated.
Height is restricted to 164 feet (50 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Vision Positioning is inactivated.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair