DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Range Question

Rhett Mullen

Reactions
Hi there,

I have a question regarding the DJI Mini 2's range capabilities. I recently did a range test on my DJI mini 2 that came out to around 4,500 ft. (less than a mile). DJI says that the drone should have a range of around 6 miles. Now I know that in urban conditions this is impossible but what do you guys think about the range that my drone gets??

Reactions: thispilothere
You rang?

4,500 seems reasonable in real-world conditions. I can't get that far with my MA2 unless I'm in the country with perfect line of sight. Just a tree or two is enough to knock me down to ~3-3,500.

How far can you fly it and keep it within sight?
I haven't done any range tests and just fly as far as needed. I'm finding the Mini 2 and Mini 3 in my suburban environment has a stable connection out to about 3000 feet or a bit beyond, depending on trees, structures or general signal interference. My Mini 1 also, with heavy trees could go about 3000 feet as well. While DJI has installed Ocusync 2 and 3 in the latter models, I honestly don't see a real range advantage with the newer drones. Perhaps the O2 and 3 systems help cut through signal interference, but on a practical level I'm not seeing a lot of difference, if any.

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the DJI Mini 2's range capabilities. I recently did a range test on my DJI mini 2 that came out to around 4,500 ft. (less than a mile). DJI says that the drone should have a range of around 6 miles. Now I know that in urban conditions this is impossible but what do you guys think about the range that my drone gets??
Please keep in mind that your not pushing your Mini 2 thru the Wall of Pain but rather stopping just shy of it. So 4500 ft out showing first signs of failure is about normal. You need a higher vantage point if your going to push those limits and you will need to push thru the wall to get anything past that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I seen some videos of people getting around 7,500 in urban areas
Me too. I've never gotten anything close to that in an even slightly urban environment and I've been all over. I've only gotten 1 mile + in the desert around Vegas and from a hill in rural Kentucky with no obstructions.

Reactions: YVRGUY
Good afternoon to all-

My Mini 2 drones will run comfortably out to about a mile in usual conditions.. But it doesn't take much- a tree in the wrong spot, your controller not pointed just right- any number of things which will limit the long distance flight of your drone.
And even though I will most likely be slapped down here for admitting this, I have gotten out in the two mile range in optimal conditions before, but that's about as far as I care to send it in my home conditions.
Although I'm sure it will get me some condemnation here for me to publicly admit it, I really do like flying long distance with my little drones- get to see a lot of different things from way out there.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Wireless RF can vary and is very unpredictable. You can go out the next day and get different results.

That’s just the way it is when flying these birds.

Last edited:
Reactions: RC_Adik
Flew down by Lake Ontario in Port Credit yesterday. It was a small peninsula jutting into the lake and I was able to do 3200m eastbound towards Toronto. I was quite impressed until I decided to see if I could reach a ship moored west of me but even after landing to install a fresh battery I chickened out at 4200m when i got the return to home message due to low battery. It landed with 27 percent.

Good morning to all-
With the Mini 2 and with all drones, I have found that the better the line of sight, the better control for long distance flying you get. I have found the higher I can fly, the better range. If anything- and I mean AN"YTHING- gets between the controller and the drone, connection and range will be affected.
I would love to get my drones back out west in Arizona and see how far I could safely fly and return out there. Get up high on a mesa away from buildings over flat land, I bet it would go a lllooooonnnnggg way and come back safely.

I do like sending my Mini 2s way out there and bringing them back.

I have been out on more than 2100m or 6900 ft over fields and woodland with both my Mini 2 and MA2. It is just necessary to keep the Max 120 m/ 394 ft altitude for best signal without interference. Keep an eye on the battery level though….

Reactions: rgarjr
Good afternoon to all-

My Mini 2 drones will run comfortably out to about a mile in usual conditions.. But it doesn't take much- a tree in the wrong spot, your controller not pointed just right- any number of things which will limit the long distance flight of your drone.
And even though I will most likely be slapped down here for admitting this, I have gotten out in the two mile range in optimal conditions before, but that's about as far as I care to send it in my home conditions.
Although I'm sure it will get me some condemnation here for me to publicly admit it, I really do like flying long distance with my little drones- get to see a lot of different things from way out there.

Yep. I’ll give ya a like for it. YES, I like to fly over the woods and spot ponds I didn’t know were even there and see wildlife in natural settings that I normally couldn’t. Why do drone companies continue to make range claims that they do, or even make the drones capable of those ranges, if our hands are tied by rules and our eyes can’t see that far anyway ??
🤔🤔🤔

Yep. I’ll give ya a like for it. YES, I like to fly over the woods and spot ponds I didn’t know were even there and see wildlife in natural settings that I normally couldn’t. Why do drone companies continue to make range claims that they do, or even make the drones capable of those ranges, if our hands are tied by rules and our eyes can’t see that far anyway ??
🤔🤔🤔
There following the rules of Cars and Motorcycles able to do 180 mph off the show room floor, be we all know you loose your license after 80 Mph . DJI they have the Mind set of the US down pat. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Opi
Out here in the plains I reached 12000 ft before having to turn around because of battery strength. Need bigger battery 😂
Mini3 with extended battery. Of course you go over 250g but the extra flight time seems incredible if you’re used to standard batteries in the mini series.

Reactions: afreakofnature
I know guys here in Türkiye tried this device to 7 km in a country area without signal lost (If battery were enough, that may go longer) Of course device couldnt come to home safely but yes, Mini 2 can go such long. In Youtube, there is guy sent Mini 2 to 11 km.. It is okey we want to reach such long distances for fun but most of the time they are useless and dangerous.

I have a Mini 2 and I have a Mini 3.

From my house in about a 90 degree arc I can fly out over rural land. In the best signal direction I've gone out about 9,000 feet with the M2 and 10,000 feet with the M3. But there were no houses in that direction so I had little signal interference

I took both drones to the high desert mountains of Eastern Oregon in August. Was camped at about 6.700 feet elevation. Nobody around for miles. I did a line of sight range test there where I went out around 11,300 feet with the M2. The limitation on that flight wasn't signal, it was battery. I was able to go out over 18,000 feet with the M3 and the plus battery. Turned around at 2 bars

I have a Mini 2 and I have a Mini 3.

From my house in about a 90 degree arc I can fly out over rural land. In the best signal direction I've gone out about 9,000 feet with the M2 and 10,000 feet with the M3. But there were no houses in that direction so I had little signal interference

I took both drones to the high desert mountains of Eastern Oregon in August. Was camped at about 6.700 feet elevation. Nobody around for miles. I did a line of sight range test there where I went out around 11,300 feet with the M2. The limitation on that flight wasn't signal, it was battery. I was able to go out over 18,000 feet with the M3 and the plus battery. Turned around at 2 bars
“Nobody around for miles” I hope you got authorization to fly there. Wouldn’t wanna break any laws or regs. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Cotyoran52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21