DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Toilet bowling... Caused by anti collision lights?

I fly with two. One on top to meet the FAA requirement, and another on the belly to meet my VLOS requirements!
Meanwhile mine is lit up like the fourth of July

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
I have to tell you... ... I have the EXACT strobe lights you have and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED. You can't see them from 200 yards away, practically. I'm not quite sure how this may effect your flying with several of these attached BUT I ordered the Firehouse Arc v light and that thing can be spotted a mile out easy here in Savannah on the coast over the marsh... And it's just ONE light device. I would think with several attached forward of center like you have done might cause your issues... Of course I really don't know...
I highly DISCOURAGE anyone from purchasing these inferior strobes that you (and I) have. Lesson learned. If you read the negative reviews on Amazon, you'll see others feel this way, as well. I'm sorry for your issues.... Good luck. :)

Reactions: Torque
I have to tell you... ... I have the EXACT strobe lights you have and I am VERY DISAPPOINTED. You can't see them from 200 yards away, practically. I'm not quite sure how this may effect your flying with several of these attached BUT I ordered the Firehouse Arc v light and that thing can be spotted a mile out easy here in Savannah on the coast over the marsh... And it's just ONE light device.
I highly DISCOURAGE anyone from purchasing these inferior strobes that you (and I) have. Lesson learned. If you read the negative reviews on Amazon, you'll see others feel this way, as well. I'm sorry for your issues.... Good luck. :)
They costs two bucks eatch

You really only need one on top legally. Anything else is overkill.
That's what I understood, so just bought one colorful strobe that is very bright. It can be set to flash either red or green, alternate red AND green, or just white. It's also rechargeable using the same USB C cable as the drone uses.

That's what I understood, so just bought one colorful strobe that is very bright. It can be set to flash either red or green, alternate red AND green, or just white. It's also rechargeable using the same USB C cable as the drone uses.
And it is affixed on the top of the nose of the Mini 2 where it is very visible from everywhere but directly below. Perhaps another one is needed just behind the camera well on the bottom.

... Pretty much immediately on take off
It toilet bowled alot

So I took them off

All fine now?...

My mavic mini 2 allergic to anti collision lights?
I see that a lot of the answers you've got so far claiming that the issue you had is due to overloading your drone ... but that is most probably not at all the reason for the "Toilet bowling".

Toilet bowling is a term describing the uncommanded circular flight path a drone have when the IMU have been initialized wrongly during power on due to magnetic interference.

In your case all those lights most probably generated a magnetic field strong enough to disturb the compass ... this made the IMU yaw to lock into the same wrong direction that the compass had.

This means that the flight controller now doesn't know in which direction your drone points ... and when the drone needs to hold position due to outside forces (like wind) affecting it, the FC will command the wrong motors which leads to the uncommanded horizontal movement.

Usually a IMU yaw wrong with close to 90 degrees will cause a circular flight path ... wrong with 180 degrees the drone instead will speed away in a straight path.

You can spot a wrongly initialized IMU yaw before take off ... just bring up the map view in the DJI Fly app & confirm that the drone icon there points equal in relation to other map objects that the drone does in reality (for example ... if the drone points at a house or a street in reality, the drone icon should do the same on the app map). If the map view & reality deviate you have a wrongly initialized IMU yaw (often called a "yaw error") & that will cause a uncommanded horizontal flight once airborne that in most cases will be catastrophic.

The most common cause for a yaw error is powering on the drone close to magnetic disturbance coming from the environment close to the drone like rebars under the concrete sidewalk, or from the metal table top you have placed your drone on or even nails/screws in the wooden deck your drone is standing on ... in your case you instead strapped on the magnetic disturbance directly on the drone.

Reactions: Torque and MA2 317
I see that a lot of the answers you've got so far claiming that the issue you had is due to overloading your drone ... but that is most probably not at all the reason for the "Toilet bowling".

Toilet bowling is a term describing the uncommanded circular flight path a drone have when the IMU have been initialized wrongly during power on due to magnetic interference.

In your case all those lights most probably generated a magnetic field strong enough to disturb the compass ... this made the IMU yaw to lock into the same wrong direction that the compass had.

This means that the flight controller now doesn't know in which direction your drone points ... and when the drone needs to hold position due to outside forces (like wind) affecting it, the FC will command the wrong motors which leads to the uncommanded horizontal movement.

Usually a IMU yaw wrong with close to 90 degrees will cause a circular flight path ... wrong with 180 degrees the drone instead will speed away in a straight path.

You can spot a wrongly initialized IMU yaw before take off ... just bring up the map view in the DJI Fly app & confirm that the drone icon there points equal in relation to other map objects that the drone does in reality (for example ... if the drone points at a house or a street in reality, the drone icon should do the same on the app map). If the map view & reality deviate you have a wrongly initialized IMU yaw (often called a "yaw error") & that will cause a uncommanded horizontal flight once airborne that in most cases will be catastrophic.

The most common cause for a yaw error is powering on the drone close to magnetic disturbance coming from the environment close to the drone like rebars under the concrete sidewalk, or from the metal table top you have placed your drone on or even nails/screws in the wooden deck your drone is standing on ... in your case you instead strapped on the magnetic disturbance directly on the drone.

I suffered gimbal errors that apparently resulted from initializing my Mini 2 on top of a concrete wall. I moved the drone, re-initialized and all was well.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu