DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 - took off from glass -> first crash

I had so little space and reaction time that it probably looked like it did not reacted.
It did react but super slowly because it was in tripod mode.

The playback is sort of rough but there is no indication that the craft has moved without stick input.

Glad to hear you got it working again!
What is "T" mode?
I have Cine, Normal and Sport - none of which begin with "T" !

This exactly happend to me right now which brought me to this thread with a similar issue. I have been flying my mini 2 for about a good 6 months (outdoor only). This is first time i was just checking how it hovers indoors and then i wanted to test if bringing my hand under the drone would raise the altitude. I brought my hand almost 5 - 8 cm away from the bottom of the drone and it did not gain altitude and instead started drifting towards left and picked up speed. I immediatly tried to bring it back with the joysticks but it felt like the drone was not taking any command from the joystick. And it sadly crashed into the wall. Though it was very low speed and very low altitude. I don't see any visual damages. And no errors on screen either. Please advice what to check during my next flight (outdoor obviously) to check if there are any damages to the drone. I have not tested out the drone yet. Also what could have caused the drone to drift towards left when i bought my hand under it?

Also what could have caused the drone to drift towards left when i bought my hand under it?
If you fly indoors, you may have lost GPS if the roof etc was blocking satellite signals.
If you lose GPS the drone will try to use the VPS sensors for horizontal position holding.
But the VPS sensors have limitations and if they aren't able to hold the drone, it won't have any 'brakes" and is able to drift in atti mode.
In atti it's still controllable but if you haven't experienced it, it might seem like it isn't.

Your recorded flight data would confirm if this was what happened in your incident.

Reactions: tahazafar705
If you fly indoors, you may have lost GPS if the roof etc was blocking satellite signals.
If you lose GPS the drone will try to use the VPS sensors for horizontal position holding.
But the VPS sensors have limitations and if they aren't able to hold the drone, it won't have any 'brakes" and is able to drift in atti mode.
In atti it's still controllable but if you haven't experienced it, it might seem like it isn't.

Your recorded flight data would confirm if this was what happened in your incident.
Yes that was probably it. The flight data shows nothing significant becauss flight time was under a minute. The joystick movement can be seen in the flight record hence I was trying to save it, but might be a delayed reaction time.

Yes that was probably it. The flight data shows nothing significant becauss flight time was under a minute. The joystick movement can be seen in the flight record hence I was trying to save it, but might be a delayed reaction time.
The flight data would show if you did/didn't have GPS.
If you don't have horizontal position holding, a moving drone will continue sliding through the air when you go hands off.
And it won't move immediately in the direction you would like when you try to send it in another direction.

The flight data would show if you did/didn't have GPS.
If you don't have horizontal position holding, a moving drone will continue sliding through the air when you go hands off.
And it won't move immediately in the direction you would like when you try to send it in another direction.
Yes it did not have any GPS. That was known before take off. It was an indoor flight and was in VPS mode while flying. It was intially able to hover in it's place. Then as I mentioned in my first post that I wanted to test out the bottom sensors so i brought my hands close under the drone. Then instead of raising altitude to maintain distance from my hand beneath, it might have went into atti mode and I wasn't experienced enough to control it.
Only 1 prop had a slight crack so I replaced it. Did all the calibration and took a test flight outdoor and it seems fine so far. Anything else I should be worried or should check which might have been internally damaged?

Yes it did not have any GPS. .... it might have went into atti mode and I wasn't experienced enough to control it.
If you have no GPS, the drone doesn't "go into" Atti Mode.
Atti Mode is what you have without any satellites.

Flying in atti mode isn't something to experiment with in close quarters.
Flying indoors has been the cause of many crashes.

If you have no GPS, the drone doesn't "go into" Atti Mode.
Atti Mode is what you have without any satellites.

Flying in atti mode isn't something to experiment with in close quarters.
Flying indoors has been the cause of many crashes.
Okay understood. Yes I should not have experimented that. Got the taste of the first crash. Glad it was from a very low altitude hence no visual damages. You think the drone should be internally fine as well, right? It is flying fine so far.

Okay understood. Yes I should not have experimented that. Got the taste of the first crash. Glad it was from a very low altitude hence no visual damages. You think the drone should be internally fine as well, right? It is flying fine so far.
One more comment..... When it was in atti mode and you put your hand under it AND it drifted, you may have moved a right stick slightly causing a drift, the direction depending on which way the drone was facing, thus hitting the wall. Atti mode is just the drone "floating" in the air, moved even by a slight breeze, nothing to "anchor" it to one spot. If you haven't even flown in atti mode, one slight "push" with a stick makes it move, not necessarily stopping since there is nothing to "hold" it in place, like GPS. Those who fly well in atti mode are truly great pilots. You're VERY busy and alert when in atti mode with fingers on the right stick constantly to keep position control. It's an art!

One more comment..... When it was in atti mode and you put your hand under it AND it drifted, you may have moved a right stick slightly causing a drift, the direction depending on which way the drone was facing, thus hitting the wall. Atti mode is just the drone "floating" in the air, moved even by a slight breeze, nothing to "anchor" it to one spot. If you haven't even flown in atti mode, one slight "push" with a stick makes it move, not necessarily stopping since there is nothing to "hold" it in place, like GPS. Those who fly well in atti mode are truly great pilots. You're VERY busy and alert when in atti mode with fingers on the right stick constantly to keep position control. It's an art!
Very true. I am still a fresh pilot hence learning from mistakes. Never trying anything silly again and that too indoors.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
Hope fully you did not lossen anything in side the drone, from the crash.
If you did, you should be getting error messages.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00