DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini-2 vs Mini SE

Chaosrider

Reactions
I've had a surprisingly hard time finding clear answers to this on the web.

Does the Mini SE use the same batteries as the Mini-2? Does it use the same props?

Other than the inferior optics and a lack of Occusync, what, if anything, do you give up by going with the SE instead of the -2?

Is Occusync mostly for control, or video transmission, or...?

I'm considering suggesting the SE to beginners, and I'm trying to get a handle on what exactly you give up relative to the -2 by doing that.

Thx!

TCS

Reactions: old man mavic
@Chaosrider batteries the same
the SE as you have noted only has the same WI FI as the original MM
it is fine in low WIFI interference areas but the signal stability is greatly enhanced with the Occusync of the Mini2
it uses the ESC from the Mini 2 and the same motors to improve its abilities in the wind ,also the props are the same as the Mini 2
for someone just starting up in the hobby with a restricted amount to spend on a drone then the Mini SE is a very good introduction
i have the original MM and have a good number of flights under my belt ,and for what i use it for i have never had any connection issues with the WIFI, on both control and video transmissions between the RC and aircraft

Google is your friend "DJI Mini SE ships with a version of the new, improved intelligent flight battery that come with the Mini 2. These are 7.7 v LiPo batteries. On the other hand, the battery on the original Mini is a 7.2 v Li-ion."

"Is Occusync mostly for control, or video transmission, or...?"
Both and better range than the SE

The mini 2 is a better choice IMO, better range and camera for not a lot more $.

Cheers!

@Chaosrider batteries the same
the SE as you have noted only has the same WI FI as the original MM
it is fine in low WIFI interference areas but the signal stability is greatly enhanced with the Occusync of the Mini2
it uses the ESC from the Mini 2 and the same motors to improve its abilities in the wind ,also the props are the same as the Mini 2
for someone just starting up in the hobby with a restricted amount to spend on a drone then the Mini SE is a very good introduction
i have the original MM and have a good number of flights under my belt ,and for what i use it for i have never had any connection issues with the WIFI, on both control and video transmissions between the RC and aircraft
Thanks, that's just what I was looking for!

:)

TCS

Google is your friend "DJI Mini SE ships with a version of the new, improved intelligent flight battery that come with the Mini 2. These are 7.7 v LiPo batteries. On the other hand, the battery on the original Mini is a 7.2 v Li-ion."

"Is Occusync mostly for control, or video transmission, or...?"
Both and better range than the SE

The mini 2 is a better choice IMO, better range and camera for not a lot more $.

Cheers!
Well, I'm looking to identify a range of of lower end drones for people. There are a lot of people who would struggle to pull together $300 for a drone, and $450 would be out of the question.

I've retracted my condemnation of the H823H. For 30 bucks, it's the best micro-drone that you can get. One of the most important features that you don't see often in low-end drones is trim. If you don't have GPS, trim let's you null out the drifting, and you can focus on actually flying rather than just keeping it in the air. It's still a low/no wind drone (I've only flown it inside), but it's just delightful.

The quality issues I've seen have been the H823H not working out of the box sometimes. However, the H823H is no longer marketed by Snaptain. The one I just recently bought worked flawlessly.

Now I'm struggling to find a good $100. I know it will be just a $100 drone -- no GPS --but I want one with a camera. I bought the HolyStone HS260, but it's had issues. I'm probably going to send it back. I just ordered an HS110D, which has trim, *AND* a memory card slot, so hopefully it will be better.

Any recommendation for a good $100 drone, fully recognizing it's a $100 drone and not a DJI?

Not everyone can start with the Cadillac!

Thx,

TCS

What about a Tello? Great little drone for beginners on a budget. Check out the TelloPilots forum.

Chris

I've got a Tello and can thoroughly recommend it for a $100 drone. It is definitely not in the same league as Mavic minis and similar, but then it is also significantly cheaper. Even after more than 2 years on the market, I've not seen anything else better than it in the same price bracket

Here's why I like the Tello:
  • Surprisingly good stills and video from the camera
  • Fast - it'll hit 20mph / 32km/h
  • Stable - it has optical flow and altitude sensors, so can hover with nearly no drift and no stick input
  • It is quite capable of flying outside, and even with a bit of wind
  • 10min flights are quite possible.
  • Tiny and very quiet
  • Some 3rd party controller apps can really squeeze the most out of the drone (follow me, RTH, POI tracking etc)
Here's what I don't like
  • Range isn't great when just using a phone (expect around 50-70m). Using a wifi booster really improves this (I've manged 300m) but adds to the cost
  • Using your phone's touchscreen as the control input doesn't give quite as fine a control as using physical sticks. You can get a USB/bluetooth gamepad which improves this a lot, but again, adds to the cost.
  • Flying over water, snow or terrain with no texture can confuse the optical flow sensor which puts you suddenly into "atti" mode and you have to fully manually fly it, compensating for any wind drift.
Here's an example video I shot entirely with a Tello:

I have an SE (for sale) and Mini2 sat right here and can certainly confirm the batteries are the same!
The main difference, what you pay extra for, it the more powerful RC in the 2 and of course the better optics.
You get a nice little suitcase with the SAE whereas you get a handy shoulder bag for the 2.

I understand the camera module hardware (lens, sensor, gimbal) is identical in the Mavic mini (1), Mini SE and Mini2 (same part numbers on the internal components). The difference with the Mini 2 is it has improved software and image processing (RAW stills, 100mbit/sec 4K video etc)

Reactions: Crash and Burn
It also has a zoom facility but I haven't even found it yet🤔
It's a digital zoom on the mini2 so no improvement in the optics. Digital zoom can be done in post production by cropping. The main advantage the mini 2 has in this respect is the cropping (ie digital zoom) is quick and easy to do.

I'm late to the party, but hope to provide some additional insight into the purchase.
The Mini SE and the Mini 2 do share the same battery. But for $150 more to step up to the Mini 2 there are some key features missing on the SE.

1) Only 2.7k video resolution like the Mini 1 vs 4k on the Mini2.
2) Max speed and power. The Mini 2 has more power to withstand wind, which was one of the biggest reasons that people (like me) updgraded from the Mini 1 to the Mini 2.
3) Different controller
4) Stated transmission distance, 4k vs 10k (under optimal circumstances)

In my mind the key difference is the power difference in the Mini 2. With the Mini 1 I found myself purchasing a Mavic 2 Pro within 4 weeks of getting my Mini 1 as I couldn't fly 50% of the days I wanted because of the higher winds. I did upgrade to the Mini 2 a few months later. This hobby becomes addictive very quickly. JME

I'm late to the party, but hope to provide some additional insight into the purchase.
The Mini SE and the Mini 2 do share the same battery. But for $150 more to step up to the Mini 2 there are some key features missing on the SE.

1) Only 2.7k video resolution like the Mini 1 vs 4k on the Mini2.
2) Max speed and power. The Mini 2 has more power to withstand wind, which was one of the biggest reasons that people (like me) updgraded from the Mini 1 to the Mini 2.
3) Different controller
4) Stated transmission distance, 4k vs 10k (under optimal circumstances)

In my mind the key difference is the power difference in the Mini 2. With the Mini 1 I found myself purchasing a Mavic 2 Pro within 4 weeks of getting my Mini 1 as I couldn't fly 50% of the days I wanted because of the higher winds. I did upgrade to the Mini 2 a few months later. This hobby becomes addictive very quickly. JME
You are confusing the Mini SE with the Mini 1. Although the Mini SE is basically a repackaged Mini 1 but in a Mini 2 shell, the Mini SE has the same wind resistance rating as the Mini 2 and as far as I know shares the same motors and the same props so should have the same power. The Mini SE is a newer improved version of the Mini 1. It still does have the limitations of enhanced WiFi, and the other things you point out in your post.

Chris

Reactions: Crash and Burn
You are confusing the Mini SE with the Mini 1. Although the Mini SE is basically a repackaged Mini 1 but in a Mini 2 shell, the Mini SE has the same wind resistance rating as the Mini 2 and as far as I know shares the same motors and the same props so should have the same power. The Mini SE is a newer improved version of the Mini 1. It still does have the limitations of enhanced WiFi, and the other things you point out in your post.

Chris
While I saw that the "rating" was the same as the Mini 2, the max speed indicates otherwise. As I understand it max speed vs wind is what determines true wind resistance. SE speeds displayed on the right, Mini 2 on the Left
36mph max speed/Mini 2/sport mode. 29mph max speed/SE/Sport mode. Bottom image is Mavic Mini (1). Same speed rating as SE. I think someone got a little over-eager or made a typo when they rated the wind resistance of the SE as a 5. I don't see how that can be unless somehow they adjusted the attack angle, but I don't think that's the case.

1643423833854.png
1643424017929.png

While I saw that the "rating" was the same as the Mini 2, the max speed indicates otherwise. As I understand it max speed vs wind is what determines true wind resistance.
The only thing that affects wind resistance is the max speed of the drone.
A higher max speed tells you that it has a greater ability to deal with winds.
I think someone got a little over-eager or made a typo when they rated the wind resistance of the SE as a 5. I don't see how that can be.
DJI's stated "wind resistance" is a vague undefined concept.
The best understanding of it is that it's the strongest wind speed in which the drone can hover and still hold position.
But you'll note DJI don't give it as a single number.
For both the Mini 2 and Mini SE, they show it as 8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5).

At first glance that looks odd.
Is the max wind speed the drone can hold position in 8.5 m/s or is it 10.5 m/s?
What they are clumsily doing, is expressing the wind strength using the old Beaufort Scale of wind strength.
This has been used to express wind strength since 1805, long before wind speed could be accurately measured.

Under the Beaufort Scale, a Force 5 (Fresh Breeze) is a wind of between 17-21 knots (8.7-10.8 m/s).
The Beaufort Scale is commonly used in China to express wind strengths (that's what the stated wind resistance means when they say Scale 5).
See Beaufort scale - Wikipedia

And the wind resistance for both the Mini SE and Mini 2 can be imprecisely (but correctly) classified as Force 5.
This is just poor documentation and/or translation by DJI.
But unless you want to hover in a strong wind without flying around, DJI's stated wind resistance isn't really a useful metric for anyone.
The speed of the drone is all you need to know.

I've got a Tello and can thoroughly recommend it for a $100 drone. It is definitely not in the same league as Mavic minis and similar, but then it is also significantly cheaper. Even after more than 2 years on the market, I've not seen anything else better than it in the same price bracket

Here's why I like the Tello:
  • Surprisingly good stills and video from the camera
  • Fast - it'll hit 20mph / 32km/h
  • Stable - it has optical flow and altitude sensors, so can hover with nearly no drift and no stick input
  • It is quite capable of flying outside, and even with a bit of wind
  • 10min flights are quite possible.
  • Tiny and very quiet
  • Some 3rd party controller apps can really squeeze the most out of the drone (follow me, RTH, POI tracking etc)
Here's what I don't like
  • Range isn't great when just using a phone (expect around 50-70m). Using a wifi booster really improves this (I've manged 300m) but adds to the cost
  • Using your phone's touchscreen as the control input doesn't give quite as fine a control as using physical sticks. You can get a USB/bluetooth gamepad which improves this a lot, but again, adds to the cost.
  • Flying over water, snow or terrain with no texture can confuse the optical flow sensor which puts you suddenly into "atti" mode and you have to fully manually fly it, compensating for any wind drift.
Here's an example video I shot entirely with a Tello:
Tello on Amazon:

If I read this correctly, the "base model", for $100, doesn't come with a controller? You have to fly it with a phone?

Is that right?

For now, I've settled on the HS110D as my $100 drone recommendation. I tested the HS260 as well, but it was a total dog. As time and money permit, I'll probably test and review a few more in the $100 range.

Thx,

TCS

Tello on Amazon:

If I read this correctly, the "base model", for $100, doesn't come with a controller? You have to fly it with a phone?

Is that right?

For now, I've settled on the HS110D as my $100 drone recommendation. I tested the HS260 as well, but it was a total dog. As time and money permit, I'll probably test and review a few more in the $100 range.

Thx,

TCS
You are indeed correct. The Tello uses your phones touchscreen as the control input, as alluded to in my second bullet point on things I don't like about it. It works quite well, but physical sticks is better for fine control.

It looks like the HS110D doesn't have horizontal position holding. The tello does, and this makes a massive improvement to how the drone flies. I'd happily forfeit a physical controller to gain this feature.

I can second @scro info on the Tello. It is the closest you will get to a 'real' drone for the cost/value. As has been mentioned, it has a very good camera for the price. @Chaosrider you should really check out the TelloPilots forum and ask your questions over there as you will get lots of great feedback on your questions over there.

Chris

Reactions: scro
You are indeed correct. The Tello uses your phones touchscreen as the control input, as alluded to in my second bullet point on things I don't like about it. It works quite well, but physical sticks is better for fine control.

It looks like the HS110D doesn't have horizontal position holding. The tello does, and this makes a massive improvement to how the drone flies. I'd happily forfeit a physical controller to gain this feature.
That's interesting. I didn't pick up on the horizontal position holding feature. How does that work? The HS 110D most definitely doesn't have that., and I can easily see why that would be desirable.

Personally, I don't think I could ever get past the phone controller architecture. I have stubby, chubby, klutzy little fingers. I hate doing *anything* on touch screens. That's why when I had to get a new phone to run DJI Fly, I got the "Note" version of the Samsung Galaxy S20, because it comes with a built in stylus!

Control sticks, or a keyboard, work just fine for me.

Thx!

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview