DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 April potential

The 250g issue is much less of a Big Deal here in the USA.

As far as I've been able to tell, the only thing that's different is that if it's over 250g, you have to register it, which is quick, painless, and almost free at just 5 bucks. My Mini-2s are all registered.

I'll be interested to see if the higher level versions of the Mini-3 stick to the 250g limit. If a higher level version had additional features that I wanted, it wouldn't bother me at all if it weighed 300+ grams.

I wonder what fraction of DJI sales are in the USA, and how that fraction has evolved over time?

TCS
Here in Spain/EU it's even free and likewise quick and easy. The difference comes not in registration but what you can do. Not sure about the USA but in EU you cannot fly over people anything above 250g. Below 250g you can fly over people and that's cool. Additionally, sub-250g drones do not require online exams. I would not say it's difficult or something, I got passed all exams in open category A1/A3 and A2 but you know some people do not like doing exams. So 250g is exempt from exams.

I think DJI will keep Mini 3 to sub 250g for the above mentioned reasons. I am just waiting for the announcement. After that I plan to get Air 2S and either keep Mini 2 or sell Mini 2 and get Mini 3 along with Air 2S. IMHO having a sub-250g drone is a must. Mini 2 is so versatile but a better camera would make it perfect.

Bingo. Same "experts" who say the Mini 2 doesn't have improved flight capabilities in the wind lol. Anyone who thinks that should join me down in Oak Island, NC where I am right now. Been flying down at the beach most nights after work in very significant winds. My Mini 2 eats up the wind, basically laughs at it. My Mavic Mini would be grounded, or at best very limited.

For those that are interested I have some videos of ships and equipment dredging sand and pumping it back to the beach to shore up the dunes. Videos are unedited so my apologies ahead of time, but I think the operation is pretty cool, never seen this before. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlTHid2iXOsteGCqHmn-HgjR8L_p8RJ_8

View attachment 145787

is there any improvement or difference in the above comparison?

i won’t argue that the 4K image from the mini 2 isn’t a huge upgrade but your image example shows obvious improvements in resolution when you zoom in, showing the branches hanging off the right side of the tower clearly and the stains in the white patch of the tower sharply… on the other image they are muddy and not distinct. There are also improvements to color and shadow detail in the mini 2.

The motors also got an upgrade that greatly improved handling in wind.

THE REAL upgrade for the mini 2 was occusync which turned the drone from IMHO a toy device that could lose signal even 1000 ft away using wifi into a true modern DJI drone that could operate at extreme distances just like its big brother (or have vastly superior signal strength when close but partially obstructed by objects.)

i won’t argue that the 4K image from the mini 2 isn’t a huge upgrade but your image example shows obvious improvements in resolution when you zoom in, showing the branches hanging off the right side of the tower clearly and the stains in the white patch of the tower sharply… on the other image they are muddy and not distinct. There are also improvements to color and shadow detail in the mini 2.

The motors also got an upgrade that greatly improved handling in wind.

THE REAL upgrade for the mini 2 was occusync which turned the drone from IMHO a toy device that could lose signal even 1000 ft away using wifi into a true modern DJI drone that could operate at extreme distances just like its big brother (or have vastly superior signal strength when close but partially obstructed by objects.)

So which one is which? Do you believe the left to be the superior one, or the one to the right?

Probably more than I paid for my air 2 with the fly more package.
As it should; better and bigger sensor, better low light performance, better wind resistance. No props in sight ever. Allowed to fly nearly everywhere on the planet with regards to flight regulations. Less noise.

All in all a vastly superior drone in about every single category.
Mini 3 pro could cost about 1399 dollar in the fly more combo and it would still be cheap

So which one is which? Do you believe the left to be the superior one, or the one to the right?

A single pair of photos without any background information or details is far from a realistic comparison of two cameras. The difference could be in post processing or focus or different lighting conditions.

As it should; better and bigger sensor, better low light performance, better wind resistance. No props in sight ever. Allowed to fly nearly everywhere on the planet with regards to flight regulations. Less noise.

All in all a vastly superior drone in about every single category.
Mini 3 pro could cost about 1399 dollar in the fly more combo and it would still be cheap
If it ends up having all of that,then probably count me in.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
It would have been nice to add navigation lights like the 2s , although firehouse units work well on my mini 2, it’s not exactly pretty or particularly fun to charge them separately

It would have been nice to add navigation lights like the 2s , although firehouse units work well on my mini 2, it’s not exactly pretty or particularly fun to charge them separately
Putting 3rd-party strobes on a Mini increases its weight above 250g. This would then officially attract greater restrictions in many countries (the main selling point of a sub-250g drone for many people).

Putting 3rd-party strobes on a Mini increases its weight above 250g. This would then officially attract greater restrictions in many countries (the main selling point of a sub-250g drone for many people).
Gotta have it for night flight though…. Anyway just saying I wish they could add them without going over weight, they look nice on the 2s

Gotta have it for night flight though…. Anyway just saying I wish they could add them without going over weight, they look nice on the 2s

Why would it matter how much weight those lights add? If the alternative is using a 2S, then any restrictions that could apply to a mini would already apply to the more than double the weight Air 2S.
So lights or no lights it changes nothing for less actual daytime restrictions in the majority of countries. Whereas night flying is forbidden in all over Europe, lights or no lights

Why would it matter how much weight those lights add? If the alternative is using a 2S, then any restrictions that could apply to a mini would already apply to the more than double the weight Air 2S.
So lights or no lights it changes nothing for less actual daytime restrictions in the majority of countries. Whereas night flying is forbidden in all over Europe, lights or no lights
Night flying is allowed in Europe (all EASA states) as long as it is in VLOS and has green flashing light.

Another real upgrade, no offence to people who think mini 1 to 2 is a enormous update!
I don’t think people take offense, it’s just that it’s such an odd claim to make, your like the only one that thinks they are anywhere close to equivalent…. As far as mini 3 goes, looks to me like it’s more of a miniture 2S in stead ag a mini successor, which is a good thing but with a much higher price tag, if the mini 2 stays around they may still end up selling a lot of them to people on a budget

Reactions: Okie
Personally I would not buy a 2 because it is exactly the same device as the 1, with only very minor improvements. Same low light capabilities, same sensor, same lens, basically same resolution.
Better transmission and also slight improvement to the wind resistance.

Whereas the mini 3 will not only make the 2 obsolete, but pretty much all current DJIs;
The mini 3 looks to be a major departure in the design, with props never getting into the shot ever again, combined with no more horizon down tilt when flying upwind either. Obstacle avoidance is also a big feature for the sub250gram class.

This design will be used for future Mavic products like Mavic 4, Air 3, and so on.

So use your mini 1 and either buy the 3 in a few weeks, or buy heavily discounted 2s in a few weeks
I think the new design looks great

Reactions: test2000Anafi
Technology marches on, just saying the mini 2 is an awesome machine making many very happy as ,stated before ,it’s not all about the camera, although the mini 2 camera in no slouch and takes beautiful shots. it remains king of the sub 500$ drones you can buy, more expensive models coming on to the market may be better but entirely Different price point

My questions now is what controller does the standard come with and what’s the wind resistance like?

The welsh droney

Well, my biggest question after seeing the leaked spec on AliExpress is, will it work with goggles v2?

This has an enormous impact on home budgetary considerations, saving, and whether I get one ASAA, or wait and save towards it.

If FPV yes == goggles v2, my wife doesn't eat for the next month.

If no, I will avoid the cost of marriage counseling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic