DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 April potential

Only had my mini 2 since Christmas but it’s an awesome machine…but as far as this conversation goes, I think I would rather wait for Dji to debug the mini3 and enjoy the 10 million review videos over the summer… just because the specs are better than the mini 2 does not mean it’s going to be better…. Probably will be but the mini 2 is revered by everone, amateurs and professionals alike

Only had my mini 2 since Christmas but it’s an awesome machine…but as far as this conversation goes, I think I would rather wait for Dji to debug the mini3 and enjoy the 10 million review videos over the summer… just because the specs are better than the mini 2 does not mean it’s going to be better…. Probably will be but the mini 2 is revered by everone, amateurs and professionals alike
If the Mini 3 is going to have the same debut as the M3, the waiting will be long until it gets polished for being enjoyable to fly.

Last edited:
If the reviews on the Mavic 3 are anything to go by I won't be rushing to buy the mini 3. It seems due to the problems regarding chipsets DJI are using Automotive grade on the Mavic 3 hence all the GPS problems. It would seem this has some legs and I see no reason they would do anything differently on the mini 3.

Last edited:
4K video 30 fps.

For 'me', the above alone was worth the change. I've owned both a mini 1 and 2.

I'm not too sure what everyone wants. The Mini 2 is a great change from the 1.
That precisely my point, 4K or not, the video resolution is exactly the same with mini 1 and 2. You cannot show any review or comparison proving otherwise.

The lens cannot show the 4K resolution or the processing hinders it? Whatever it is, the supposed 4K video does not show added detail over the mini 1 video.

So your most important reason to upgrade is based on a lie basically

Reactions: AndreasT
You must be new to drones if you think occusynch and improved flight means nothing.
In Europe and thus my country only VLOS flying is allowed. For my a1/a3 exam I learned that you should be able to see the actual orientation of the drone. So “just have a flashing light and you can fly 2KM!” Is illegal based on the regulations. Because of that in my country there is little difference between occusync or not.

Improved flight; the actual mini1 to 2 improvement is so irrelevant compared to the upgrade provided by mini 3 that you will laugh about it looking back.

Mini 2 >> mini 1 : sure. But in a few weeks you will see

Mini 3 >>>>>>>>>>>> mini 2 >> mini 1

Which is why the mini 1 and 2 will be viewed as the same drone outside of occusync.

The video quality with 1 and 2 is literally the same with nobody able to tell a difference.
With 3 it will be improved low light, improved dynamic range, double the frame rate and even 120fps recording for 1080p

The video quality with 1 and 2 is literally the same with nobody able to tell a difference.
With 3 it will be improved low light, improved dynamic range, double the frame rate and even 120fps recording for 1080p
Unless you work for DJI you don't know this.
I do expect the Mini 3 to be a significant upgrade over the Mini 2 but I don't think your hyperbole about it making all other DJI drones look out of date is even close to accurate. They're not going to put a u4/3 sensor on it for example. It's not even going to have a 1" sensor. It's likely to be a similar sensor to the Air 2.

Reactions: Okie and Pondhopper
I do expect the Mini 3 to be a significant upgrade over the Mini 2 but I don't think your hyperbole about it making all other DJI drones look out of date is even close to accurate. They're not going to put a u4/3 sensor on it for example. It's not even going to have a 1" sensor. It's likely to be a similar sensor to the Air 2.
In which case it will be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over the mini 1 and 2 which have exactly the same video quality

Yes, it will be, and I said as much. But it's not going to make all other DJI drones obsolete which is what you are saying.
It is still going to be an entry-level drone with decent image quality for everyone to fly, but I don't for a minute think it's going to be better than things such as the Air2S or Mavic 3. It may very well give similar image quality to Air 2 which will be great if it does.
You have to look at it from DJI's business perspective. There has to be a differentiator between different models in the range in order for them to sell the higher end models. If they release something for $600 that is better than every other model in the lineup then that would be a very poor business decision.
With the current technology available it's unlikely they could put together a cooling solution that can effectively deal with heat from the SoC if it was doing what the M3 is doing. The heatsink alone for the M3 weighs more than an entire Mini 2.

If Mini 3 gives as good image quality as the Autel Nano+ but with the Mini 2's flight characteristics then I'll be a very happy man.

In Europe and thus my country only VLOS flying is allowed. For my a1/a3 exam I learned that you should be able to see the actual orientation of the drone. So “just have a flashing light and you can fly 2KM!” Is illegal based on the regulations. Because of that in my country there is little difference between occusync or not.

Improved flight; the actual mini1 to 2 improvement is so irrelevant compared to the upgrade provided by mini 3 that you will laugh about it looking back.

Mini 2 >> mini 1 : sure. But in a few weeks you will see

Mini 3 >>>>>>>>>>>> mini 2 >> mini 1

Which is why the mini 1 and 2 will be viewed as the same drone outside of occusync.

I’m also in Europe. Occusynch isn’t just about distance. It’s about the quality of the connection (the wifi on the 1 is woeful), and the video downlink. It’s also about the wind resistance. Hugely improved on the 2.
The improvement isn’t just about the camera.
Obviously, the 3 should be better than the 2, otherwise it’s pointless. I will likely buy one asap. But, it’s genuinely mind boggling that you think there wasn’t a marked improvement from the 1 to the 2.

As far as video, larger chips really do help low light capability, I am perfectly happy shooting at 2.7/60fps but it’s not the resolution, it’s just ability to catch detail in shadow that the biggest difference for casual users. That’s why the mini 3 camera will be better. In very good lighting conditions most would not be able to see the difference

Reactions: AndreasT
I sure hope it has a little larger size at least than my air 2

Sensor size on the mini 3.
I sure hope they at the very least match the sensor size of the Nano+.
Otherwise it's probably game over before it started.

I think buying a drone now is not a good idea until we see Mini 3. From my observation, Mini 3 will be (nearly) in the class of Air 2S but giving that great benefit of being sub 250g. I have Mini 2 and I really love it but it cannot compete with something like Air 2S. Heck, it cannot even compete with Autel Nano Evo+ for photography needs. Yes, Evo Nano+ is more expensive but it gives all those great things (albeit with some issues) in sub-250g. Mini 3 can and should change this completely. So my position is to wait and see what Mini 3 delivers and after that make the decision. The logic that there's always something better on the horizon, while being true (IMHO) is not a rational decision making.

Reactions: test2000Anafi

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB