DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Daybreak98

Operator
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I found something interesting today. All wattages are approximate. Shown on my USB-C cable with meter in 1 end.
Powered from Anker 736 100 watt charger. Top USB-C port.
Mini 3 Pro with Int Battery standard charges at approx 30 watts in the drone.
Mini 3 Pro with Int Battery PLUS charges at approx 30 watts in the drone.
2 way charging hub, 1 standard battery charges at 24 watts
2 way charging hub, 1 PLUS battery charges at 24 watts
2 way charging hub, 1 standard battery, and 2 PLUS charges at 24 watts
DJI RC showed chargin at 12 watts

The only time I saw 30 watts charging was having the battery in the Mini 3 Pro. I guess the 2 way hub has some smarts in it which maybe only call PD 24 watts.

Some look at a bunch of chargers used on a Mini 3 Pro

ChargerLAB Mini 3 Pro Charging

Last edited:
I found something interesting today. All wattages are approximate. Shown on my USB-C cable with meter in 1 end.
Powered from Anker 736 100 watt charger. Top USB-C port.
Mini 3 Pro with Int Battery standard charges at approx 30 watts in the drone.
Mini 3 Pro with Int Battery PLUS charges at approx 30 watts in the drone.
2 way charging hub, 1 standard battery charges at 24 watts
2 way charging hub, 1 PLUS battery charges at 24 watts
2 way charging hub, 1 standard battery, and 2 PLUS charges at 24 watts
DJI RC showed chargin at 12 watts

The only time I saw 30 watts charging was having the battery in the Mini 3 Pro. I guess the 2 way hub has some smarts in it which maybe only call PD 24 watts.
That's strange, the wording implies the charging hub is slightly faster than charging in the aircraft.

Attachments

• B50986B5-E3C4-4323-A5E3-379976874A27.jpeg
    B50986B5-E3C4-4323-A5E3-379976874A27.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 52
Just got a flymore kit and the hub is slightly slower than the drone.
The drone charges @ 28.7W, the hub at 25.5w for me so yup the hub is slower (on the same power adaptor and cables).
In reality this is a negligible difference in time but it is slower.

Reactions: KLRSKIR and Torque
Cannot remember exactly, but while abroad I charge with a 100 W powerbank via the hub.
At home I have a 100 W charger. Let's see next time, what the wattage will be.

You need a usb-c power delivery charger that outputs 12 volts, then you can charge at 36 watts. Its hard to find a small power delivery charger that outputs 12 volts. most do 9v and jump to 15v. For whatever reason Dji decided to use 12 volts. I found this out by charging using my power bank and I got 36 watts at 12 volts. (In the hub.) I am having a hell of a time sourcing a compact usb type c power delivery charger that can put out the 12 volts Dji wants to achieve max charge rate. The reason you get 27/28 watts is probably because its charging at 9 volts. I know its only like 8 watts more but when you re in a hurry it helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-09 165514.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-09 165514.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
You need a usb-c power delivery charger that outputs 12 volts, then you can charge at 36 watts. Its hard to find a small power delivery charger that outputs 12 volts. most do 9v and jump to 15v. For whatever reason Dji decided to use 12 volts. I found this out by charging using my power bank and I got 36 watts at 12 volts. (In the hub.) I am having a hell of a time sourcing a compact usb type c power delivery charger that can put out the 12 volts Dji wants to achieve max charge rate. The reason you get 27/28 watts is probably because its charging at 9 volts. I know its only like 8 watts more but when you re in a hurry it helps.
I’ve been using my Skydio 2 charger and omg… so fast.

Reactions: Ridefreak
I’ve been using this one but I haven’t checked or timed it to see exactly how quickly it’s charging but it seems fast enough for me with the FMK+ battery charger. I just use one of the PD ports on the thing to charge the batteries and the USB-A port to charge the RC.

65 W should suffice for fast charging as the batteries charge with max. 36 W (12 * 3 A) and the RC with less, more like 15 - 20 W.

It mostly depends on how good the charger has implemented currents, loads and protocols. Some only feature higher output on one outlet and single connection. So bear in mind to check the combined possibilities if you want to charge more than one device at once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Now measured:

Batteries in hub charge with: 12 V at 3,1 A = 37,2 W
RC (50 % to 100 %) "only" charged with 5,3 V at 2,5 A = 13,25 W (although the same charger as above certified for 100 W)

Very fast for my taste.
Both charging rates are exactly (or even above) what DJI specifies.

Mini 3 Pro: DJI Mini 3 Pro - Specs - DJI
RC: DJI RC - Specs - DJI

Last edited:
Reactions: 420
I have made the experience that even different cables with 12V provide different currents.
So the original DJI cable does not always deliver 3A but eg only 2.4A and some accessory cables deliver 3A.

I just took these snapshots at my powerbank that can output 12/15 or 20V 3A
Voltage always at 11,8-11,9V(!)

On 230VAC charger 65W I got different measurements, but even not better for the two original DJI cables ;)

Sounds like it has also something to do with the combination of source voltage high (11,9, 12, 13.5V...) and most wirh the cable. Never trust datasheet, test it by yourself. I had few very usefull charger meters, e.g. this simple USB-C Meter

Attachments

• DJI-RC24.jpg
    DJI-RC24.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • DJI-RC29.jpg
    DJI-RC29.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 46
  • NONAME100W-M324.jpg
    NONAME100W-M324.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • NONAME100W-RC.jpg
    NONAME100W-RC.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 38
  • PB3A.jpg
    PB3A.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 34
  • UGREEN-RC249.jpg
    UGREEN-RC249.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
@TimDJI
I use the exact same angulated cables from UGreen with my measurements and reaching the expected loading times.
These are specified 100 W.

And you are right, you definitely need to obey all of these in the chain. USB might sound easy but it has become quite a mess with these different standards of loading, cables, data speeds, etc.

Reactions: TimDJI
65 W should suffice for fast charging as the batteries charge with max. 36 W (12 * 3 A) and the RC with less, more like 15 - 20 W.

It mostly depends on how good the charger has implemented currents, loads and protocols. Some only feature higher output on one outlet and single connection. So bear in mind to check the combined possibilities if you want to charge more than one device at once.
Well, that Teknet branded charger (which I’m sure is a name slapped on a typical Chinese OEM charger) claims to only do 63W max when combining any of the available three ports, so like 45W from one of the PD ports and then another 18W from the USB-A port. It only truly supports 65W from a single PD port only.

In any case, like the drone, one of my main criteria for a charger is lowest possible size/weight, and in those terms…this charger fits the bill. I managed to snag a FMK+ with the two batteries and between those and the standard pack that comes with the drone, that’s all the flying I’d ever have the time to do anyway (that’s not even mentioning the heat stroke you’d surely get here just trying to fly through a single standard battery in this Texas heat).

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
For whatever reason Dji decided to use 12 volts.
I think it is because USB-C has current limitations hardware wise. it can provide only a certain amount of amps, wich are like 3 amps of current, 12x3=36 Watt. with 5 volts you would need to have a current flow of 7 amps, which the USB-C port couldn't take without damage or corrosion over time. but that is all guesswork..

all smartphones that charge faster use 15, or even 20 volts to keep the current down for fastcharging.
it is a bummer that the charger cant charge all 3 batteries at once with like a 20 volt charger or something.
also, if the charging station charges slower at first, it could be because the charger does not use the full amps from the beginning of the charge. this would explain why the drone charges faster than the station, even if it is in reality not.
my real RC charger for example doesn't charge with the full amp setting right from the start, it increases the ammount slowly. I think depending on the charge status of the battery. at the end it slows down. but also probably because of balancing.

would be interesting if the charger could supply more watt charging when you have a charger that is capable of 20 volts.. but I think DJI limited the charging to 36W, which would be about 4.7 amps for 7.6 volts, which is about 2C charging rate for the 2.45Ah of the standart battery. those are probably not the highest discharge rate lipos, with the pro FPV lipos you should not charge above 5c or even 3c on some. so that makes sense from a safety perspective. only thing that would make sense, is to have the station capable of parallel charging, which it can't do..

by the way, personally Iam looking for one of those 45W xt60 to usb fastcharge adapters... you can plug your other rc lipos into this thing. I don't care that much about fast charging from home. but charging from my 6s lipo packs on the road, is just superb. those things are just hard to find here in germany. if youre in the US, rotor riot has these for 8 dollars in the shop. they take like 3 to 6s packs which is superb.

Last edited:
Since DJI, in their infinite wisdom, didn't see fit to have their "recommended charger" available when I purchased my M3P, I did a bit of searching to find this: UGREEN Nexode 100W USB C Wall Charger - 4-Port GaN PD Fast Charger USB-C Power Adapter

& 3 of these: UGREEN 100W 5A USB C to USB C Cable 6ft

This way, with a total of 100W output, all 4 ports include a 12V output, & I'm able to charge 1 battery in the drone, 2 batteries in the charging hub, the RC controller & something else if needed, all at the same time. I also like that the wall (120VAC) prongs fold into the charger.

May seem a bit overkill, but the capacity is there if needed.

AFAIK, the units (drone, charging hub & RC controller) each have their own built-in charge limiter/regulator, since some batteries, like Li-Ion, tend to burst, leak, or even explode if charged incorrectly, & their charging temperature must also be within specified limits, so feeding them with excess wattage isn't going to make any improvement in charging rates/times.

So, DJI actually did me a favor, making me do a search for a better charger & cables. Yes, I paid a bit more than I would have for something cheaper, but I don't mind spending on quality equipment, & I also prefer the flexibility for other uses.

Thus far, I've used it as described, & when used in my car, I connect the USB charger to my plug-inverter, & the total wattage doesn't exceed the 10A 12V accessory fuse.

Reactions: Torque
I think it is because USB-C has current limitations hardware wise. it can provide only a certain amount of amps, wich are like 3 amps of current, 12x3=36 Watt. with 5 volts you would need to have a current flow of 7 amps, which the USB-C port couldn't take without damage or corrosion over time. but that is all guesswork..

all smartphones that charge faster use 15, or even 20 volts to keep the current down for fastcharging.
it is a bummer that the charger cant charge all 3 batteries at once with like a 20 volt charger or something.
also, if the charging station charges slower at first, it could be because the charger does not use the full amps from the beginning of the charge. this would explain why the drone charges faster than the station, even if it is in reality not.
my real RC charger for example doesn't charge with the full amp setting right from the start, it increases the ammount slowly. I think depending on the charge status of the battery. at the end it slows down. but also probably because of balancing.

would be interesting if the charger could supply more watt charging when you have a charger that is capable of 20 volts.. but I think DJI limited the charging to 36W, which would be about 4.7 amps for 7.6 volts, which is about 2C charging rate for the 2.45Ah of the standart battery. those are probably not the highest discharge rate lipos, with the pro FPV lipos you should not charge above 5c or even 3c on some. so that makes sense from a safety perspective. only thing that would make sense, is to have the station capable of parallel charging, which it can't do..

by the way, personally Iam looking for one of those 45W xt60 to usb fastcharge adapters... you can plug your other rc lipos into this thing. I don't care that much about fast charging from home. but charging from my 6s lipo packs on the road, is just superb. those things are just hard to find here in germany. if youre in the US, rotor riot has these for 8 dollars in the shop. they take like 3 to 6s packs which is superb.
Differences between LiPo & Li-Ion batteries, & the different uses in different types of drones. A high-performance (FPV) drone will likely use LiPo for higher performance, whereas, a camera drone will likely use Li-Ion for greater endurance/time flying.

LiPo = higher maximum current & greater performance vs Li-Ion = longer flight time & greater endurance, but lower maximum current.

AFAIK, the M3P drone uses Li-Ion type batteries.

LiPo vs Li-Ion batteries & the different uses for different types of drones

Reactions: Rchawks
Differences between LiPo & Li-Ion batteries, & the different uses in different types of drones. A high-performance (FPV) drone will likely use LiPo for higher performance, whereas, a camera drone will likely use Li-Ion for greater endurance/time flying.

LiPo = higher maximum current & greater performance vs Li-Ion = longer flight time & greater endurance, but lower maximum current.

AFAIK, the M3P drone uses Li-Ion type batteries.

LiPo vs Li-Ion batteries & the different uses for different types of drones

Nearly every drone uses LiPo, including the M3P.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998