DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro did it again arggg

Hum, I like facts.

I still haven't figured out the first two threads.

Basically, if I remember correctly that nobody every looked the first one?

Rod ..

Hum, I like facts.

I still haven't figured out the first two threads.

Basically, if I remember correctly that nobody every looked the first one?

Rod ..
lots of people looked for the first one. But I'm still wondering what happened with this one was it my fault or the drone's fault. when it disconnected batteries were at good power. I have to find it soon as were expecting rain

Your drone was set to return home on loss of signal.
When signal was lost, the drone was 200 feet away to the west.
It was 70 feet higher than the launch point, over land that was slightly lower than where you launched.
There were no obstacles to block signal or crash into.

The data ends at 1:09 with the drone flying at full speed in Sport Mode..

On loss of signal, the drone should have initiated RTH and come home.
The pitch and roll data suggest that winds were light and wouldn't prevent RTH.
The drone was only 200 feet away so should have been easily visible and audible if it was returning.

If it didn't return, the most likely explanation is that it lost power and fell.
If that was the case, the loss of power explains the loss of signal and no RTH.

When the data ended, the drone was directly above 34.07650 -112.13225.
If the drone fell, it is likely to be near that point, but probably a short distance to the west of there.
Wow. Nice detective work !
I’ll have to keep you in mind if I ever lose one of MY drones. 😊

Reactions: Hermey
When you say it tumbled and fell, how quickly did it fall and did it go up side down etc.?
At a guess a motor-stop/power-loss would result in a descent that, depending on how low the ground was, lasted less than two seconds. Terminal velocity for the Mini 3 Pro is probably in the range 14m/s to 16m/s and would be quickly reached, the drone was only 70ft above the take off point so it, at a guess didn't have much further than that to fall.
Even if it retained its horizontal speed during the fall a two second fall would allow it to travel 85ft in the original direction of flight, 29mph = 42.5ft/s.
If you get people to look have them look from the loss of connection point to around 90ft beyond that, all in the direction of travel at loss of connection.

I can think of four things that could cause the drone to 'fall',
1) the drone stops its motor, this has been known to happen.
2) The battery disconnects, Mini 3 battery tabs have been known to crack and break. *
3) A propeller blade breaks or its screw comes out and the blade was lost but the last thread I remember where that happened the drone 'staggered', possibly in random horizontal directions, through the air whilst rapidly descending but it didn't "fall".
4) A motor seize or jam, do you launch/land in a dusty surface where dust/grit/sand could get into the motors. This might well result in a fall.

The above said 3) & 4) do not necessarily result in a disconnection whilst the drone is in the air. Indeed, in the lost blade thread the drone, from memory, retained connection the whole way down.

*The DAT flight log number was 211 and the battery charge count was 46. At a guess you have multiple batteries, have you every checked the battery clips for cracks at the 'hinge'?

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think the neighbors kids found it. I've been all over the area for 3 days now. Pretty sure if it was there I would have found it. Gonna rain tonight so if its still out there it will most likely be ruined

The data ends at 1:09 with the drone flying at full speed in Sport Mode..
Were you in sport mode, and if so why? In that case you would have no obstacle avoidance and could crash into anything.

Were you in sport mode, and if so why? In that case you would have no obstacle avoidance and could crash into anything.
The drone was far above anything it could have run into, but if it wasn't, a collision would show up in the flight data.
The drone did not crash into anything.

when it disconnected you should of started moving toward it's last known position asap with the controller. Then maybe when you got close enough to it, the controller might of beeped, and you maybe could of used find my drone to locate it.
I'm beginning to think the neighbors kids found it. I've been all over the area for 3 days now. Pretty sure if it was there I would have found it. Gonna rain tonight so if its still out there it will most likely be ruined

when it disconnected you should of started moving toward it's last known position asap with the controller. Then maybe when you got close enough to it, the controller might of beeped, and you maybe could of used find my drone to locate it.
That would only work if the drone still had power.
But it lost signal and fell because there was no power.

and it was almost dark. I'm disabled and have a hard time walking on uneven ground. I tried that with the last one that got lost and I almost didn't make it home.

Reactions: shb
I just put all my air 1 batteries on the charger and the Ipad so I can fly that till I get something better. Thinking of the mini pro 4 since my mini 3 batteries will work with that. Gonn check out the 4 for flyaway and crashes and stuff.

I just put all my air 1 batteries on the charger and the Ipad so I can fly that till I get something better. Thinking of the mini pro 4 since my mini 3 batteries will work with that. Gonn check out the 4 for flyaway and crashes and stuff.
Is DJI going to replace your second drone?

one of my problems is I have no drone listed in my device so I get stopped right there.

one of my problems is I have no drone listed in my device so I get stopped right there.
You have really been having a tough go of it.
Sorry to hear.
This can be a frustrating hobby. I learned a while back to just go with the flow. I typically have at least one case open with DJI at any given time. It just falls into the category of "stuff happens. A couple weeks back I had props fail on my DJI FPV and that one got sent off. A day later, I was sending in my Avata's remote because while I was flying that one in the meantime, I dropped it on the floor as I was coming back in the house. Two cases going at the same time. : ) It's always something.

Reactions: RodPad
Okay, the following may be relevant. Or not.

1) There was a small battery imbalance immediately before loss of connection.
2) The drone was in SPORT mode, which disables all the object sensing and avoidance.
3) It was passing a large tree at the time connection was lost, and the altitude was low enough that impact with a top branch seems possible. A bird strike is also possible.
4) It was in sport mode with the sticks to the firewall so max current to the motors.

Losing connection so close to the RC is a little baffling, and would indicate a failure with the drone. Here's a scenario: impact with some small bit of tree, or bird, could have jammed a motor, which would account for the start of a cell imbalance. Still, DJI firmware is supposed to protect from such incidents.

But if that did happen, at full thrust with max current going to the motors, I could see it causing a condition that exceeded the power supply, and caused a forced/emergency shutdown, or MPU error.

Flying my Mini 3 pro, I tried out sport mode with the extended battery, and at full speed I soon got the over-current warning. If you are at max current load you may or may not get the warning, but if something jammed a motor with full juice going to it, it could suck up enough juice to cause an instantaneous spike, that could conceivably cause an MCU fault, resulting in an un-commanded reboot or some similar "loss of its mind" condition.

This is PURE CONJECTURE. Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, etc etc.

Reactions: shb
Okay, the following may be relevant. Or not.
No ... none of those are relevant
1) There was a small battery imbalance immediately before loss of connection.
5/100ths of a volt ... not enough to cause any concern.
2) The drone was in SPORT mode, which disables all the object sensing and avoidance.
Drone was well above any potential obstacles and any collision would show in the flight data.
3) It was passing a large tree at the time connection was lost, and the altitude was low enough that impact with a top branch seems possible. A bird strike is also possible.
Data shows no hint of a collision. It just stops.
4) It was in sport mode with the sticks to the firewall so max current to the motors.
People fly in Sport Mode all the time without issues.
Here's a scenario: impact with some small bit of tree, or bird, could have jammed a motor, which would account for the start of a cell imbalance. Still, DJI firmware is supposed to protect from such incidents.
Any of that would show very clearly in the flight data.

Reactions: AntF1551
No ... none of those are relevant
As indicated, I am already aware of the things you mention, yes it would show in the logs IF connection was not lost prior to that packet being transmitted.

Obviously we know it crashed and the logs say nothing. Therefore something happened.

Just because the logs “normally” catch such events does not in and of itself mean that such events will always be transmitted properly.

5/100ths of a volt ... not enough to cause any concern.

Yes I agree that such a small value in and of itself is not a direct cause for concern.

However, the battery voltage is polled once per second. In the intervening time there is usually telemetry data sent every fifth of a second.

The small but sudden voltage change is shown only on one single telemetry line, then it goes dark.

This means that something happened from the batt poll time and 200ms later, which in any event would not read differently until the batt was polled on the next second.

200ms is enough time for a voltage spike, of which only the start was caught by the battery poll just prior to losing connection.

Drone was well above any potential obstacles
Were you there? I might have missed something in this thread.

I've seen trees that are easily mid judged as to how tall they really are, especially at evening/night.

I learned THAT lesson my first week of flying the drone.

and any collision would show in the flight data.
If the drone was operating properly and nothing caused a power off event before such telemetry was able to be sent.

But I am operating on the premise that the drone was not operating properly, because 200 feet with no buildings and sparse trees is rather short for a loss of connection event.

Data shows no hint of a collision. It just stops.
Sport mode shuts off obstacle avoidance, so there may not be a “hint” until the motors jam.

That said there is a little hint in the excel file, I’ll upload the screenshot in another message.

People fly in Sport Mode all the time without issues.

That’s a logical fallacy. People drive all the time without seatbelts without dying. That doesn’t make seatbelts superfluous.

Sure, DJIs are impressively good, yet still here we have a missing drone, and others have had flyaway or dive into water or any number of other events—I am not saying that sport is bad, but I do know I overloaded my Mini 3pro in sport mode on a calm evening, so I know the current draw is close to limits.

Operating a machine close to limits AND experiencing an anomaly can equal a sad outcome.

Any of that would show very clearly in the flight data.

Only if there was data available to put into the telemetry, and that was done prior to disconnection. Though on that front I’m going to post another message with a screenshot of the excel file in a moment…

But again, sport mode disables obstacle avoidance.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne