DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MINI 3 Pro impressive low Light photos. -- lets see your photos

I recommend Affinity Photo. Virtually all the capability of Photoshop for a fraction of the price. Currently $75 Cdn.

I used Affinity for a few months and agree that it is fantastic for the price. In the long run I went back to Photoshop because there is no equivalent that I like for Lightroom and PS and LR are a pair. Relearning Photoshop vis a vis Affinity was a chore but for those just starting out, Affinity is great. For those with tens of thousands of photos on a Mac, LR is really the only program of it's kind so it's integration with PS was for me a deciding factor.

For those with tens of thousands of photos on a Mac, LR is really the only program of it's kind
I still use Aperture. Got hundreds of thousands of images in it (nearly 12 terabytes) so changing to anything else is not a decision to take lightly.

At one time Serif were planning a Lightroom replacement (in the same way that Affinity Photo is a Photoshop replacement). Still no word on that project. :(

I also have Affinity Designer (Illustrator replacement) and Affinity Publisher (InDesign replacement) and am very happy with both.

I still use Aperture. Got hundreds of thousands of images in it (nearly 12 terabytes) so changing to anything else is not a decision to take lightly.

At one time Serif were planning a Lightroom replacement (in the same way that Affinity Photo is a Photoshop replacement). Still no word on that project. :(

I also have Affinity Designer (Illustrator replacement) and Affinity Publisher (InDesign replacement) and am very happy with both.
aperture?? when was that last updated? I thought that was long dead. Works with M1 macs??? Just curious.

Is there an easy way to remove the blue tint from the shadows in low light without affecting the rest of the image?

Is there an easy way to remove the blue tint from the shadows in low light without affecting the rest of the image?
Try adjusting just the blue channel in levels, and lower just the darker tones.

The difference in white balance from the relatively orange artificial light and blue natural light at dusk can be hard to balance out.

Last edited:
Yeah I used to run a bought copy of lightroom (6), but my new camera wasn't supported, and newer macos can't run the old versions.. Tried some alternatives, but liked Lightroom even though its subscription software...

So I had a few minutes spare last night after finishing work for the day (was about 21:45ish or later) and there was a spectacularly huge moon with a purple haze on the horizon.
Having recently purchased the mini 3 I thought that id will give it a go of taking a good photo... I'm not a photography-minded person more of a point and shoot so suffice to say everything is on auto mode. Anyway didn't manage to get the moonshot, I've never understood how it looks so close but when taking a photo never appears the same lol.
but what has surprised me is that I took a few pier shots and these are looking really good for auto mode but the most impressive thing is it was 10pm!

So let's see those late evening shots from your Mini 3 Pro's
From a photographer with a drone...
One factor is the human eye is curved so the flat sensor of a drone has to be zoomed a little bit 2x-3x to get closer to what we see. The other factor is when you see images with large moons behind landscape objects (none of the attached shots are drones) you are seeing the effects of telescopic lenses. The blue one below (shot during the blue hour) was 360ft away (Nubble lighthouse Maine) I used a short tele lens (24-105L) which doesn't allow for much "compression". (the perceived distance between the lighthouse and the moon) IF I was 2,000-5,000ft away and used a longer lens, the compression of the distance between the lighthouse and the moon is greater.
In the next 3 images, you can see a general shot giving you an idea of distance. The other 2 shots are of Whaleback lighthouse in Maine. I shot it with a 70-200mm lens with a 2x tele-extender giving me 400mm.

We are never going to get the same level of compression as a DSLR camera with a long lens but I thought it would help you understand how photographers get these "big moon" shots... So while this will not help you with your drone shots it may help with the photography aspect of your drone photography... Maybe a Mavic 3 using the big telephoto has tried these shots and would be willing to weigh in.

Attachments

• 20161113_162247.jpg
    20161113_162247.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Cape neddick lighthouse in Maine.jpg
    Cape neddick lighthouse in Maine.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Whaleback Full Moon Maine Lighthouse.jpg
    Whaleback Full Moon Maine Lighthouse.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 11
  • WhaleBack Lighthouse moonrise-26-Edit.jpg
    WhaleBack Lighthouse moonrise-26-Edit.jpg