DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro range? What's your experience been like?

Ok, went to the same spot in my second test today to test it again after the factory reset of the RC and unfortunately it's still behaving the same. It's so inconsistent for a $1000 drone it's kind of ridiculous.

I think I'm going to return it at this point and look into a none DJI mini drone, as this has been a terrible experience (along with their useless customer support)

@shadow3467
I might suspect, that the lower you went, the weaker the signal got due to obstruction of foliage etc. Additionally, I suffered from this too, if you don't align the RC in this case accurately, it will drop bars fast.

I don't want to say, you made a mistake, but we do have to take this into account, that flying low and surrounding higher objects definitely reduce reception a lot with the Mini 3 Pro.

Yes the RC is directional so you need to be pointing in the general direction of the drone, but this is no different than any other DJI drone I've ever had.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Ce or Fcc ? Ce signal is very weak , Fly low + trees = no signal. You need atleast a rc-n1 "patched" for comfort range and signal if u are a Ce user

Reactions: johnmont250
Yes the RC is directional so you need to be pointing in the general direction of the drone, but this is no different than any other DJI drone I've ever had.
It's not but the first without antennae, if I am correct.
So it's a bit trickier to properly align without these as a visual reference ... somehow.

I'm in FCC region

And I noted in the video description and mentioned here too, I was pointing at the drone the ENTIRE time, for some reason the compass mini map shows me pointing away. I've tried re-calibrating the compass several times and it says successful but does not fix this issue.

This drone is just a pit of technical troubles. Just terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: KS-6 and Beet
hmm I wonder if this has anything to do with the bad signal, we're both pointed at the drone but the RC shows us pointed away
Click on the compass map and switch around the map view. Map showing true north, or map showing the direction your pointing. Map with satellite view layer, directional map, or mini compass.
You need to play around more and investigate what you have. You have made blanket statements which do not hold up.

Wireless signals = are ever changing around you. The frequencies are limited, and are used by many things. The Mini 3 and RC makes use of the airwaves. There could be a house 1 km away which is flooding the airwaves on a certain freq which you are also using. That conflict could be there today, and with channel jumping, could be gone tommorrow.

Last edited:
I would concur. Additionally, the compass does have an issue for sure. Nothing a FW update can't address.
Well, and I have no such problems whatsoever luckily. ;)

It is very hard to determine, if we fit the description of a representative random sample and I will not rule out any faulty units, certainly not. But as some people are feeling, this drone hardly can fly past your own shadow, can be called exaggerated.

Most likely, from other tech gadgets, people come here to describe their problems and seldomly speak about things that do actually work. Because there's no point in waffling on when there's no problem.

There has never been a DJI launch without problems but I certainly cannot see a devastating range problem, what some people like to call it, when you are perfectly fine for flying out 400 - 500 m or get lower reception due to the local conditions. I do acknowledge, there's plenty of room to support this drone though.

Happy flying! :)

Last edited:
Yes I also see the wrong direction being displayed despite compass calibrations.
What compass were you calibrating? The one in the drone or the one in the RC? For the indicator to work fully it gets info from 2 compasses, both of which would need to be calibrated correctly for the indicator to work correctly.

well i must be lucky, have had no drop outs whatsoever, have flown down into valleys ,and with trees close by and never once have i had any issue with the signal from the RC to the drone and back
for me the whole drone is fantastic, from turning on the RC to take off,takes around a minute or less ,it acquires 15 plus satellites in around 30 seconds ,gives the take off message ,and then by the time i have taken off gone up to 20ft i am looking at 25 to 30 sats locked and on several occasions i have seen 33 sats ,in one local park i regularly fly at i get 16 to 18 with the MM and 30 plus with the Mini 3
i can only speak from my experience with the Mini 3,and it is unfortunate that there are many people on the forum that are having issues of one sort or another

I didn't even know the RC had a compass? I'd be curious to see what's showing in the transmission menu, if it's still locking itself to 2.4ghz and if it's giving you the dual band option after the RC reset..
I found with my Mavic 2 on the odd occasion it would pick and stick to 2.4ghz and get relatively terrible signal quality, went it and manually overrode to 5.8 before flicking it back to Auto where it then stayed on 5.8ghz and signal was fine after that. In the Mafic 2 case this would occur with the original controller and Smart Controller so antenna wasn't a factor either.

I didn't even know the RC had a compass? I'd be curious to see what's showing in the transmission menu, if it's still locking itself to 2.4ghz and if it's giving you the dual band option after the RC reset..
I found with my Mavic 2 on the odd occasion it would pick and stick to 2.4ghz and get relatively terrible signal quality, went it and manually overrode to 5.8 before flicking it back to Auto where it then stayed on 5.8ghz and signal was fine after that. In the Mafic 2 case this would occur with the original controller and Smart Controller so antenna wasn't a factor either.
Pg 46 of the manual tells you how to calibrate the RC compass, so it also definitely has one.

Other controllers without their own built in screen (eg RC-N1) don't have a compass and, instead, use your device's compass, assuming it has one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy