DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro: With or Without DJI RC controller (with built-in Screen)

I went for the standard controller as I need a bigger screen than that, and have a decent 10" tablet that works great coupled with a decent sun shade.

Reactions: Jack in Dixie
I previously had a Mavic Air with standard RC mated with iPhone or iPad Mini 5, but now having the RC with screen for my M3P, I just could not see myself going back.

It really is a pleasure to use!

Highly recommend

Reactions: bonzo
I got the Mini 3 with DJI RC with screen and I like it. I think it's worth the extra cost. It's faster to set up, you can fly without seeing annoying popups of every email or other notification you get, and it can also be a backup, in case you have a DJI- RCn1 and your phone battery goes low so that you have to stop flying (as has happened to me more than once). If you have the DJI RC along as well you can keep going while your phone recharges.

I recently stopped using the controller with screen and went to the RC-N1 with an Apple iPad Mini 6. I initially tried a Samsung S22 Ultra which was great but still a bit too small and I never liked Android so I sold it. YES, the controller with screen is MUCH more convenient (not looking to argue that fact AGAIN) but lack of convenience doesn't bother me. It's just way too small FOR ME. And **NO** the Mini 6 has NOT shut down on me once from heat and I am in Central FL where "feels like" temps has been well over 100 every day. I **DO** use a cheap sun hood over it which likely helps a bit. The brightness of both are similar. I simply gave up convenience for size and the future and current and convenient use of many other apps that can't be installed on the remote with screen. Just my opinion YMMV!

For your device, only the actual temperature is important. Humidity won't make a difference. Keeping it out of direct sunlight will make a big difference.

OK, forget humidity but GENERALLY when "feels like" is well over 100 the ACTUAL temp is also a bit on the warm side. :D. ACTUAL temps have been 90-95+ just about every day for the last 2 months (and this upcoming week). ;) Right at this moment it's "only" 79 because we're in the middle of T-Storms.

Untitled picture.png

Last edited:
I have the DJI RC (with the screen) and I wouldn't go back. Flying my Air 2S feels like a massive faff now with having to get phone out, set airplane mode, connect USB, fight with the phone mount, and launch DJI Fly.
Compared to: turn on controller, turn on drone, fly.

Yes, the screen isn't the brightest - about the same as my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my eyes - but it can maintain that brightness for the entire battery. My iPhone frequently overheats and dims the screen.
Thanks for taking the time to let me have your thoughts @Rilot

The same can be said about nearly all mobile devices. Even those that tout they are the brightest aren't very easy to see in sunny conditions. I think the trick is to try to stand in a location where the sun is not beating down onto the mobile device screen (when possible).

Same. It's a really nice device. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.
Is buying a sunshade for the controller worth it, do you think @msinger?

I just bought a 3 with the normal controller - (mostly because it was cheaper.!).. People keep saying it's great not to have to use a phone but as far as I know - you still need a phone near the RC controller (as a hotspot for mapping). I have subsequently listened to many reviews and also seen reports here of freezing and other issues with the RC one... so all in all I'm totally happy with the normal controller. I have my phone with me anyway - and have created a way that turns of any interruptions when I am using the DJI app. I am sure the RC one will improve with updates but the normal one seems rock solid to me. All that is nothing to do with screen brightness, but it might be worth looking at videos about other RC controller issues.
I would tend to agree with you, I think @PeteGSW. What is your “way that turns of any interruptions“ on your phone? I just switch to airplane mode: is there something more sophisticated?

I normally use the iPad mini but now I have the new RC I would not go back to using the iPad mini, cheers Len
Thanks for this @lensimages. When I said I was flying my Mini 2 last week, it was on the Brecon Beacons “horseshoe route, not for from your neck of the woods.

Beautiful.

The Beacons are the only “real” mountains within a days reach (just…) of Basingstoke.

I like the RC with screen. A bit less fiddling on the start. Virtually the same size as the RC-N1 (based on pictures, anyway) so no more space in my bag. Brighter than my phone, and saves the phone battery for other tasks (important on a hike).
Good advice @Robert Prior

I would tend to agree with you, I think @PeteGSW. What is your “way that turns of any interruptions“ on your phone? I just switch to airplane mode: is there something more sophisticated?
I use "focus mode" on iPhone, so i set it up so I don't get any notifications etc - which is triggered when the dji app is running. I could use airplane, but I want to keep data on for maps etc.

I use "focus mode" on iPhone, so i set it up so I don't get any notifications etc - which is triggered when the dji app is running. I could use airplane, but I want to keep data on for maps etc.
Thanks for this @PeteGSW, I’ve never used focus mode, so I’ll investigate

Reactions: PeteGSW
Morning folks,

I am on the cusp of buying a Mini 3 Pro, but I can't decide whether to get the version with the "normal" controller (that works with phone) or the version with the RC controller (that has a built-in screen).

I know having the built-in screen would be more convenient; but I have read this screen isn't all that bright and is difficult to view in bright conditions.

Having said that, after flying my Mini 2 last week with my dedicated iPhone 7, that phone pretty hard to view as well!

Any thoughts?
I had the same dilemmaas.. Ended up buying with and am so glad I did.. some things are different but you have more function control.. and much quicker to get the bird in the air..

DJI made the Smart Controller and the RC-Pro with 1000 nit screens. It just seems the opposite of customer friendly to make the RC with a 700 nit screen. I mean, how much more in production costs would it have been?

from what people have been saying here for months now, they would have been very happy to pay for a $500 RC with 1000 nits compared to $300 for the RC. But I just have a hard time believing that going from 700 to 1000 nits would have cost $200 more per unit

HI don't forget what DJI did to the Crystalsky Monitors .at £500 /£700 a time.. only one update in its life. no support for the latest Go4 software.. Locked to DJI so hard to side load other software.. I wonder if the RC Controller will end up the same, not supported when they move to the next Drone version.. I fly my MP2 zoom with Epson BT300 Glasses. to me this is the best way. but DJI @ Epson have stopped supporting this Technology. So in my view DJI have adopted the typical Apple business plan to update your firmware you will need a newer model .. just like the iphone's

Is buying a sunshade for the controller worth it, do you think @msinger?
I'm getting a sunshade for the DJI RC (this one). Had it out at the beach last week, and even in the shade from my Shibumi, it was hard to make out details on the screen. Definitely not as bright as the RC Pro.

Hi Pal, as a guy coming from both the original Mavic Air and years back Mavic Mini, the RC Controller (With screen) come with my M3P is improved alot of flying experience compare to last controller.

I still remember how I need to prepare to fly last time, I am using Samsung Note 8 and 9 (at that moment), I will need to take off the protection cover to “slide” in-to the DJI controler, and the USB cable sometimes very hard to plug in (due to covered by handle), then, then need to wait for launching the app, and those endless notification coming during mid flight, oh ya, those phone call ? I even answer phone call during flying ! It is very disturbing experience.

The new RC controller now make me fly the drone more peacefully, no more notification or phone call, and it is pretty fast ! Turn both RC and Drone on, and you will ready to fly within 3 mins, thats all.

Also, the screen brightness is much more consistent than my Note 8/9 , the brightness is surficient to me, yeah, it is still hard to see especially flying in bright area such as beach or seaside, but you can still see the over all line and detail for basic maneuver, brigther than most smartphone.

All in all, it is very good choice. Just go for RC if you can.

Thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost