DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro: With or Without DJI RC controller (with built-in Screen)

For anyone concerned about interruptions (calls, texts, etc) when using a phone. As was previously mentioned, if you are using an iPhone defining a "Focus" to disable all that when the DJI Fly app opens works perfectly to solve that issue. Not sure if other phones have a similar feature.

Reactions: Jack in Dixie
I went with conventional (non screen) version. I regularly use 3rd party apps, and I feel as though once DJI releases the SDK, there will be the regular apps I can use for mapping. I also always have my phone on my when hiking, biking, skiing, vacation, so felt the larger controller didn't really offer me any benefit. This is also my 10th DJI drone, for whatever that's worth.

Now after reading this I want a DJI RC for my mavic air 2s . I'm using the tripltek tablet and don't like the weight of using the controller. I hope DJI has a update soon.

Now after reading this I want a DJI RC for my mavic air 2s . I'm using the tripltek tablet and don't like the weight of using the controller. I hope DJI has a update soon.
so you use a lanyard?

I have a Tripltek setup with a nice lanyard and it makes a huge difference

of course, I fly a lot on sunny days and the Tripltek is absolutely more viewable than the RC

I recently stopped using the controller with screen and went to the RC-N1 with an Apple iPad Mini 6. I initially tried a Samsung S22 Ultra which was great but still a bit too small and I never liked Android so I sold it. YES, the controller with screen is MUCH more convenient (not looking to argue that fact AGAIN) but lack of convenience doesn't bother me. It's just way too small FOR ME. And **NO** the Mini 6 has NOT shut down on me once from heat and I am in Central FL where "feels like" temps has been well over 100 every day. I **DO** use a cheap sun hood over it which likely helps a bit. The brightness of both are similar. I simply gave up convenience for size and the future and current and convenient use of many other apps that can't be installed on the remote with screen. Just my opinion YMMV!
I have to agree with the above.

I had been using my iPhone with the old, standard RC-N1 (no screen). Today, I tried flying using my iPad Mini 6 for the first time. Wow, what a pleasant surprise that was -- such an improved experience! Yes, I still had to futz with attaching the iPad Mini to the controller (and there was the additional piece of an "adapter/extender" to hold the Mini). But having the much, much bigger screen on the iPad MIni was awesome. Screen was bright enough to view in direct sunlight. It was a hot day here (temps in the low 90s), no sign that the iPad was overheating (I've never seen it overheat -- my older iPhone, yes, but not this iPad Mini 6).

This will be my new go-to setup, at least for the time being.

Disclaimer: I'm still flying my Mini 2, I have not pulled the trigger on the Mini 3 Pro - though I'm thinking about it. Trying to decide about the controller and screen has had me on the fence...now I'm thinking maybe I just get the Mini 3 Pro without any new controller, see how I like it using the iPad Mini, knowing I can always buy the DJI RC later (or even go whole hog and buy an RC Pro later assuming they make it compatible with the M3P).

Choice is a good thing. I'm glad to see that there are multiple options.

Well i'm about to purchase my first drone this weekend (the Mini 3 Pro) and i was pondering this very same question re which package to go for. As i have never used a drone before i was going to go for the standard controller as i wouldn't know what i'm missing ref the RC controller but reading this thread i think i will go for the RC controller package for ease of use and quick start up times.

Thanks for all the contributors to this thread that have helped me make my mind up.

The best thing we can do is dont ad anything to the RC it works fine (brightness is fine for me I use that little silicone hood). I always keep my Mini 3 Pro charged in case something interesting comes up. Up and flying 2 mins max. Great design.Use cell phone if you want interuptions and all the notifications going off. Spend the extra and get the package cell phones are not the best idea for controlling a device that could crash or loose control if you get a interuption at the wrong time. My vote is always embeded screen. Use on my H480, Mavice 2E DUO.

The best thing we can do is dont ad anything to the RC it works fine (brightness is fine for me I use that little silicone hood). I always keep my Mini 3 Pro charged in case something interesting comes up. Up and flying 2 mins max. Great design.Use cell phone if you want interuptions and all the notifications going off. Spend the extra and get the package cell phones are not the best idea for controlling a device that could crash or loose control if you get a interuption at the wrong time. My vote is always embeded screen. Use on my H480, Mavice 2E DUO.
If you are using an iPhone you don’t have to put up with any interruptions at all. Just define a “focus” that turns on when the DJI Fly app starts that prevents any and all interruptions. That is what I do and it works perfectly.

I use an iPad Mini 6. It works perfectly, has a large bright screen, takes all of about 30 seconds to get set up, and there are no "interruptions." My phone is in my pocket, as it usually is (and my phone rarely bothers me because I have all the annoying so-called "notifications" turned off...if your phone is pestering you, is that the phone's fault, or its owner's?).

Last edited:
Or you could just click do not disturb. That way you have all the features of your cell, perhaps a brighter screen, and apps at your disposal if the need calls. I do agree the RC is a good thing, but don't scramble for reasons not to use the screen most people already have on them.

Reactions: boybrown and wags1
I use an iPad Mini 6. It works perfectly, has a large bright screen, takes all of about 30 seconds to get set up, and there are no "interruptions." My phone is in my pocket, as it usually is (and my phone rarely bothers me because I have all the annoying so-called "notifications" turned off...if your phone is pestering you, is that the phone's fault, or its owner's?).
BTW, you can define a “focus” to disable all interruptions when you are using DJI Fly app on the iPad the same as on an iPhone - Settings, Focus.

I read whole thread and was surprised that there was no mention for greatest advantage of RC smart over the RC-N1. And what I mean is that accuracy(feel) of control sticks. Difference is so huge that I'm happy to pay 300e extra for just that one.

Couple of not so obvious downsides to the RC.
1) the satellite view maps on in DJI FLY on the RC have recently changed a low quality mapview product. These satellite maps are practically unusable in many parts of the world. Maps | MapTiler In the past they were high quality Google satellite maps same as in the phone app. DJI FLY phone apps still retain the high definition google sat maps.
2) If you take a lot of still images and use Google photos the workflow is more tedious with the RC. you have to transfer images and video using quick transfer after you land. Whereas flying with the android phone app your photos automatically end up in phones gallery and into Google photos.

2) If you take a lot of still images and use Google photos the workflow is more tedious with the RC. you have to transfer images and video using quick transfer after you land. Whereas flying with the android phone app your photos automatically end up in phones gallery and into Google photos.
Yes, but much lower quality than those on the SD card.

I had about half an hour of flight time on my Mini 3 before the RC stopped talking to the aircraft. (lateral, X-axis moves disabled) but the difference in flight characteristics from my Mini 2 was immediately apparent. The RC is FAR smoother and more predictable than the Mini 2 controller.

Infant mortality. Now, I gotta wait for my replacement. :(

Question : I have the RC with screen. But with the phone, wouldn't maps update on the fly? RC with screen needs you to download offline maps. I am thinking of returning back my RC with screen and getting a RC that works with iPhone for this reason. I read somebody say that the phone needs to be in airplane mode. is that so?

1 other thing.. I've been traveling across the U.S.A. on motorcycle and have 3 drones with me. Air 2, Mavic 3, and the Mini3 pro. With the 2 bigger drones I use a Tablet.( Samsung S8+) and getting them out and setup takes more time., so my goto Drone is the Mini 3 Pro and if I see something interesting I'll set the mini into a time-lapse or pano while I get one of the others up.. Two in the Air sometimes gives seamless Sunsets and longer video's with a drone in the picture.. and with my phone as a hotspot the RC is connected with map updates.. thanks

Question : I have the RC with screen. But with the phone, wouldn't maps update on the fly? RC with screen needs you to download offline maps. I am thinking of returning back my RC with screen and getting a RC that works with iPhone for this reason. I read somebody say that the phone needs to be in airplane mode. is that so?

I just fly with the RC connected to my phone hotspot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf