DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Camera Crash Guard

IronSky1

Reactions
DJI Mini 4 Camera Crash Guard - I hit a tree with my mni and totalled the camera and gimbal. I came up with a 3D printed crash guard that is out of obstical avoidance (and camera) FOV
They weigh 4g per pair. Have been testing for over a week with no issues. It is important to remember that the trim pieces that these snap over are not structural. The camera and gimbal are screwed to airframe. In the event of a hard crash these will most likely break away (or slow the impact from from more damage-which is intent ) leaving the camera and gimbal in place.

Attachments​

• 20240605_102208.jpg
    20240605_102208.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240605_102126.jpg
    20240605_102126.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240605_102001.jpg
    20240605_102001.jpg
  • 20240605_101849.jpg
    20240605_101849.jpg

Reactions: AeroJ and waynorth
Quite a challenge I imagine trying to get those big enough to help mitigate the crashes, and yet small enough to avoid both camera and OBS. Looks very helpful.

Of course, even something as trivial as 4g spanners our Class 0 legality, further demonstrating how stupid a rigidly set 250g rule forces us to compromise anything we might be trying to add for additional extra safety. Nav lights being another one.

Talking of which may I digress very briefly to ask if your navigation lights also go out whenever you are recording ?! I can't find anyway to override or control that behaviour, and it's the stupidest idea / compromise to VLOS / safety I am simply dismayed is the case. Front lights maybe - they could affect camera at night. But rear lights ? Why in gods name would DJI make those quit during record ?!!

It is important to remember that the trim pieces that these snap over are not structural. The camera and gimbal are screwed to airframe. In the event of a hard crash these will most likely break away (or slow the impact from from more damage-which is intent ) leaving the camera and gimbal in place.

Attachments​

• 20240605_102208.jpg
    20240605_102208.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
One point, with regards to the first photo, do the guards project beyond the front of the lens ?
The gimbal is rubber mounted and can probably move forward a bit. From what I have seen in dismantling videos the movement may not be much and at a guess is appreciably less than with the mini 1& 3 but it may be enough.

Are you certain the gimbal is screwed to the airframe ?
Without rechecking a dismantling video I doubt that that is true, see the previous paragraph. If it were screwed to the airframe the a lot of vibration would be transmitted to the gimbal and camera.

Last edited:
Quite a challenge I imagine trying to get those big enough to help mitigate the crashes, and yet small enough to avoid both camera and OBS. Looks very helpful.

Of course, even something as trivial as 4g spanners our Class 0 legality, further demonstrating how stupid a rigidly set 250g rule forces us to compromise anything we might be trying to add for additional extra safety. Nav lights being another one.

Talking of which may I digress very briefly to ask if your navigation lights also go out whenever you are recording ?! I can't find anyway to override or control that behaviour, and it's the stupidest idea / compromise to VLOS / safety I am simply dismayed is the case. Front lights maybe - they could affect camera at night. But rear lights ? Why in gods name would DJI make those quit during record ?!!
It was a bit sticky to get design right however, this one only took 10 hours and 6 iterations, a lot simpler then some of my other mounts.
I really do not pay much attention to 249g (very dumb rule) I almost always run way over. (and register mini as normal drone). What impresses me the most is the engineering that DJI has squeezed into this small package. My normal take of weight is 320g with my dual mount and one front facing light (for orentation I prefer VLOS) and a small secondary camera rear or tilted down facing for another view. Battery life is normally 30 to 40% less with 320-390g payload well within my needs.

Yep, the whole thing is suspended from 4 rubber grommets / plugs.
Yes suspend by gromets however, screwed into airframe not side front trim ( those are not structual.
Aero sorry for that:
CLARIFICATION: The camera / gimbal assembly is attached to the shock mount grommets which are attached to the mounts that are screwed to airfarme A bit difficult to describe and take apart. Sorry for confusion.

Last edited:
One point, with regards to the first photo, do the guards project beyond the front of the lens ?
The gimbal is rubber mounted and can probably move forward a bit. From what I have seen in dismantling videos the movement may not be much and at a guess is appreciably less than with the mini 1& 3 but it may be enough.

Are you certain the gimbal is screwed to the airframe ?
Without rechecking a dismantling video I doubt that that is true, see the previous paragraph. If it were screwed to the airframe the a lot of vibration would be transmitted to the gimbal and camera.
Yes they extend far enough to protect Mini 4 Pro. (first photo shows that)

CLARIFICATION: The camera / gimbal assembly is attached to the shock mount grommets which are attached to the mounts that are screwed to airfarme A bit difficult to describe and take apart. Sorry for confusion.

Last edited:
Wow - quite a hit ! But if you're good with it, then it's all the win. Thanks for suggestion.
Thats with a increase in weight of 143g (over 50%) Flys great is very stable. Photo show my max payload. 22-25mins is fine for me (I remember when that was alot on my Inspire 1)

Attachments

• 20240609_093029.jpg
    20240609_093029.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240609_093135.jpg
    20240609_093135.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: AeroJ
Yes it is actually quite an elaborate suspension system hey ?! I watched a complete disassembly vid the other day, and there is a single rubber sheet (per side)with 4 grommets one side (into the craft) and 3 the other (into the gimbal).
Pretty genius in the engineering department - No wonder it does such an awesome job for eliminating the jellos !

Yes agreed, the Mini series are really engineering and manufacturering marvels.

Yes agreed, the Mini series are really engineering and manufacturering marvels.
Totally. And the miniaturisation aspect as well - the intricacy (and sheer amount of impossibly thin connectors) in the cable harnesses, and careful routing of them to avoid stress and pinch points are equally mind-boggling to me. All that XP in 15 years of development is unmatched anywhere else really, which is such a shame when the forces that prevail are trying to deny the US market this obviously brilliant and helpful tech.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erintse