DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini iPad Question

Big Dazz

Reactions
Hello,

I noticed a lot of you guys and gals use iPad mini’s and I wanted to know using it strictly for the Mavic Pro is there a difference between the iPad Mini 2 and iPad Mini 4?

Thanks in advance!

I use a mini 4. Love it. I agree with Kilrah the mini 2 is to slow.

Reactions: Big Dazz
A 3 "might" barely work with caching disabled. I'd use nothing older than a 4 at this point personally...

mini4 works best...of course; crazy that it was manufactured in 2015.

I no longer have mine, but bought it NEW at Target with 128gb for only $299 a year ago. DJI slowly removes 'Approved' devices from its list. With that being said, I would go mini4 or ABOVE....

There are people using a mini 2 without problems, but the 4 is better. BUT as mentioned it is a few year old tech. If you havent purchased one, wait for the release of the new mini, or consider a full size ipad with a mount.

There are people using a mini 2 without problems, but the 4 is better. BUT as mentioned it is a few year old tech. If you havent purchased one, wait for the release of the new mini, or consider a full size ipad with a mount.
That’s thing... I will only use it with the drone so I really don’t want to spend a lot of money on something that will be a one trick pony so to say... Price wise and functionality the mini 5 might be overkill... Thoughts?!

With most tech I like to stay one step behind the leading/bleeding edge - it's why I bought a Mavic Pro (my first drone) a couple of weeks prior to the release of the Mavic 2. I didn't want to have to put up with all of the alleged bugs (and missing features) in the Mavic 2 that will take multiple firmware upgrades before they're all ironed out.

When the iPad Mini 5 is released the price of good second-hand Mini 4s will drop significantly. At that stage, I will probably buy a Mini 4.

That’s thing... I will only be using it with the drone so I really don’t want to spend for something that will only be a one trick pony so to say... Price wise and functionality the mini might be overkill... Thoughts?!

I think it's really about how much you need to see (real estate and quality wise) on screen during the flight. For me, the video or still shot captured on the SD card is what it's all about. I'm totally happy with the screen size/quality and performance of my old Samsung S7 phone.

However, as per my previous post, I might look at upgrading to an iPad Mini 4 early next year if the price is right.

That’s thing... I will only use it with the drone so I really don’t want to spend a lot of money on something that will be a one trick pony so to say... Price wise and functionality the mini 5 might be overkill... Thoughts?!
i have an ipad 4 and an ipad 5 full size that both worked. (i havent tried the 4 for awhile however)
i use an Iphone 6 for Mavic only and it works great. If you look for a 6 plus, it will still fit in the RC and give a decent size screen. Probably could buy a used one for $125 or so if you look hard.
But for ME, I find that the larger 10"ish screen is a better experience., PLUS the ipad can still be used for everything else. They have a new Ipad full size that is NOT a pro that is affordable brand new.

I think it's really about how much you need to see (real estate and quality wise) on screen during the flight. For me, the video or still shot captured on the SD card is what it's all about. I'm totally happy with the screen size/quality and performance of my old Samsung S7 phone.

However, as per my previous post, I might look at upgrading to an iPad Mini 4 early next year if the price is right.

I shoot music videos so yes size especially quality is a must! I think I will follow your plan and pick up a mini 4 once the price drops a little more

So I have been looking at this iPad mini solution as well... can someone who has one tell me - if I purchase an iPad mini Wi-Fi only.... can I tether it to my iPhone to use Google Maps... or do I hav to go through the bs of downloading offline maps for my locations.??

with ANY wifi device, if you provide a hot spot with your phone, it will be connected to the internet

So I have been looking at this iPad mini solution as well... can someone who has one tell me - if I purchase an iPad mini Wi-Fi only.... can I tether it to my iPhone to use Google Maps... or do I hav to go through the bs of downloading offline maps for my locations.??

No problems. You can tether to the iPhone if you need to have internet access whilst flying your drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_