DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini not stable when hovering

DannyDoi

Reactions
After 8 flights my Mini is not stable anymore when hovering. I was flying it in a big interference zone and i noticed that is not stable in hover, it have a little side to side balance so i land it. Then i take off again and i keep it in front of me at 2m high to observe it. And it went slowly up and down and on sides, not much, some centimeters.The outside temperature was more than 10C. I did the IMU and compass calibrations, i tried after, the same. I changed the place, i have recalibrate, nothing, i went indoor, recalibrate, nothing, Can you please help me?

Last edited:
After 8 flights my Mini is not stable anymore when hovering. I was flying it in a big interference zone and i noticed that is not stable in hover, it have a little side to side balance so i land it. Then i take off again and i keep it in front of me at 2m high to observe it. And it went slowly up and down and on sides, not much, some centimeters.The outside temperature was more than 10C. I did the IMU and compass calibrations, i tried after, the same. I changed the place, i have recalibrate, nothing, i went indoor, recalibrate, nothing, Can you please help me?
Have you updated to the latest firmware and was it in gps hold

Are you sure you mean centimeters ..? I mean this is directly from DJI home page & Mavic Mini's specs.

2019-12-17_20-04-42.jpg

If it's centimeters it's perfectly normal.

Reactions: dbyantis
Yes, its updated from first day and it registered the home point also.
Its not normal, until now it was staying perfectly still, outside or inside.

Reactions: chittumelo
have you made sure that the downwards sensors are clean and uncovered

...Its not normal, until now it was staying perfectly still, outside or inside.

It's well within spec ... so why not normal?
What was the wind conditions when you observed this?

there were no wind and the downwands sensors are fine, it lands nice without any error message
if i let it stay more than few secs in hovering it moves more than 10 cm

Really? That is only about 4 inches. You can't ask for much better.

there were no wind and the downwands sensors are fine, it lands nice without any error message

Below are a screen shoot from the manual ... I interpret that info as when you have GPS lock the VPS sensors aren't activated. This means that your hoovering accuracy fall into vertical +/- 0.5m & horizontal +/-1.5m.

2019-12-17_20-47-46.jpg

So again way do you think that a couple of centimeters aren't normal?

Above is good info.
Likely the motion is related to maintaining point of focus. When I hover for hyperlapse I notice the drone moving a bit in the wind, but the resultant video is rock steady.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
Below are a screen shoot from the manual ... I interpret that info as when you have GPS lock the VPS sensors aren't activated. This means that your hoovering accuracy fall into vertical +/- 0.5m & horizontal +/-1.5m.

View attachment 88341

So again way do you think that a couple of centimeters aren't normal?
As i said in day one of use it stays in the air like it was on the floor, outdoor or indoor
On the hand if you shoot a video and the craft is moving...
I will test it tommorrow some more and i will know if i have to return it

What is the ground like directly under the drone? If there are no features for the VPS downward sensor to see (eg smooth snow, sand, concrete) then the drone has to rely on just GPS for positioning and this means its position holding will be a lot looser. Stuff blowing around on the ground like leaves could also confuse the VPS a bit. I've "walked" a drone round my living room by just holding a patterned piece of paper under it and the VPS locked onto that.

What is the ground like directly under the drone? If there are no features for the VPS downward sensor to see (eg smooth snow, sand, concrete) then the drone has to rely on just GPS for positioning and this means its position holding will be a lot looser. Stuff blowing around on the ground like leaves could also confuse the VPS a bit. I've "walked" a drone round my living room by just holding a patterned piece of paper under it and the VPS locked onto that.

According to the manual the VPS sensors aren't activated when the Mini have GPS lock ...

Reactions: hiflyer201
According to the manual the VPS sensors aren't activated when the Mini have GPS lock ...
I may be missing it, but can you quote that from the manual?

You have a screen shot from the manual in post #10.
I saw that but your interpretation is incorrect. If you read that it say "When GPS is Unavailable" This means that the aircraft only uses the vision system for positioning. VPS is always active, unless you disable it.

MINI 2 copy.jpg

when you fly outside and you get the home point message and take off the GPS and vision sensors are both working but as you fly higher then it is only GPS that keeps the drone on station, if you fly close to the ground then the vision sensors and GPS work together to keep the drone on station the only time the drone relies solely on the vision sensors is if GPS is not available,and then only to a height of 18ft

Reactions: scro and Thomas B
if you fly close to the ground then the vision sensors and GPS work together
Correct. There is an altitude limit for the VPS. The OP was flying under that limit apparently, therefore VPS is active. A data file would confirm that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis