DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini photo quality

As a photographer for 50+ years I picked up an MP2 in October. I researched drones and knew I wanted the raw files and the bigger sensor. Flying almost every day since I’m constantly learning about command of the drone and the camera settings. I know my drone is not what you’re asking about but as a photographer you need to know your gear inside out...and frankly do a bit of research.

Reactions: Accel
Contrast isn't the greatest out of camera, but you can get quite good images when the lighting is better. I got this with the Mavic Mini 2 days ago and I am satisfied for what it is. Also coming from a full frame camera it just takes some time getting used to it.

Keep in mind that the contrast is already bumped up in Lightroom for this one.
View attachment 86171
Fairy tale Good! Please take that as a compliment

Contrast isn't the greatest out of camera, but you can get quite good images when the lighting is better. I got this with the Mavic Mini 2 days ago and I am satisfied for what it is. Also coming from a full frame camera it just takes some time getting used to it.

Keep in mind that the contrast is already bumped up in Lightroom for this one.
View attachment 86171
Nice shots. Shame they don't offer .DNG as an option like is the Osmo cameras with same sensor.

I would agree the camera isn’t anything amazing but for the price I have no complaints. Just like any new piece of gear it takes a little while to get use to its quirks and how to manipulate the inputs to good a good result.

This is my first drone so there’s been a bit of a learning curve and requires a different approach from traditional photography. So far I feel like it struggles a little to capture a clear image when there are lots of organic shapes(trees, bushes, tall grass, etc) and does it’s best when there are more geometric shapes. It probably has something to do with the censor not being able to clearly capture all the leaves and small detail.

It’s also worth noting that this isn’t the most flattering time of year for forest/nature photos. All the grays and browns tend to make photos look dingy and washed out.

I’ve managed to get a few images I’m pleased with though. These have been edited in Lightroom.
Those pics look pretty nice actually.

Its kind of thinking your point and shoot camera is going to do the quality of your full frame DSLR. While your thumbnails are a little blurry, I thought the photos when expanded look fine. I agree with some of the other posts the lightning could have been better. But this time of year, I happy if I get a day warm enough for me to want to be outside.

So as a quite new drone user but a long time photographer im actually disappointed in the quality of photos. Of course it's not a full frame camera or a pro drone but still the quality resembles phone photo quality back in the days. Maybe its me and im doing something wrong but here are some examples as well. No editing straight from camera.
With all due respect, what did you expect from a Mavic Mini at that price point?

So as a quite new drone user but a long time photographer im actually disappointed in the quality of photos. Of course it's not a full frame camera or a pro drone but still the quality resembles phone photo quality back in the days. Maybe its me and im doing something wrong but here are some examples as well. No editing straight from camera.
Your colour composition is wrong. You must play around with the ISO and white balance.
The best is to shoot in RAW and post-process it.

Your colour composition is wrong. You must play around with the ISO and white balance.
The best is to shoot in RAW and post-process it.
To me only the white balance needs adjusting. I can't remember if that's available on the Mini. But then for the subject, the yellowing actually fits. Pretty good for a night shot on a Mini otherwise.

Without DNG capabilities, this will just be a consumer camera. I'll keep mine, but I don't really see much use for it until I can fly it over people.

I've owned many "cameras" in my looooooooong life. Other than toy and Polaroid cameras, I've had to adjust/correct/manipulate images from ALL my "professional" film and digital cameras. That's kinda the fun/artistic part!

I would agree the camera isn’t anything amazing but for the price I have no complaints. Just like any new piece of gear it takes a little while to get use to its quirks and how to manipulate the inputs to good a good result.

This is my first drone so there’s been a bit of a learning curve and requires a different approach from traditional photography. So far I feel like it struggles a little to capture a clear image when there are lots of organic shapes(trees, bushes, tall grass, etc) and does it’s best when there are more geometric shapes. It probably has something to do with the censor not being able to clearly capture all the leaves and small detail.

It’s also worth noting that this isn’t the most flattering time of year for forest/nature photos. All the grays and browns tend to make photos look dingy and washed out.

I’ve managed to get a few images I’m pleased with though. These have been edited in Lightroom.

Great shoots!

A little late to the thread with this but the original post reflects a bit in my current research in the Mavic Mini. Looking at the shots posted they do appear a bit 'bland" but 2 minor tweaks in Photoshop and you have some really cool shots (subjectively cool). Cool enough to spur me on to getting one.
Im a photographer too but under no illusion that its will replace my DSLR but be a new tool to develop my creativity. I would be certainly happy to post them on my Instagram

Attachments

• DJI_0045 copy-web1688x3000U100.jpg
    DJI_0045 copy-web1688x3000U100.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 113
  • DJI_0067 copy-web1688x3000U100.jpg
    DJI_0067 copy-web1688x3000U100.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 111
A little late to the thread with this but the original post reflects a bit in my current research in the Mavic Mini. Looking at the shots posted they do appear a bit 'bland" but 2 minor tweaks in Photoshop and you have some really cool shots (subjectively cool). Cool enough to spur me on to getting one.
Im a photographer too but under no illusion that its will replace my DSLR but be a new tool to develop my creativity. I would be certainly happy to post them on my Instagram
welcome to the forum also from wales

Reactions: Thomas B and WooZie
It’s seems that every shot does have noise/grain. So as a little test I’ve even experimenting with shooting in very low light. Higher iso gets pretty bad. The first one here is an iso 1600 1/3” shutter. That 2nd one is iso 100 with a 4” shutter.

Attachments

• 5EE84B1A-385B-4A39-BA56-83A58CD97DE3.jpeg
    5EE84B1A-385B-4A39-BA56-83A58CD97DE3.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 104
  • F12375DD-4415-4826-A0A1-F08343C6ECCE.jpeg
    F12375DD-4415-4826-A0A1-F08343C6ECCE.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 101
Reactions: hiflyer201
It’s seems that every shot does have noise/grain. So as a little test I’ve even experimenting with shooting in very low light. Higher iso gets pretty bad. The first one here is an iso 1600 1/3” shutter. That 2nd one is iso 100 with a 4” shutter.
Good examples. In near complete darkness, how much can you expect? It's actually quite amazing you can get a decent photo with a 4 sec. shutter on a flying object. Can't do that handheld.

My feeling is that there are far far more opportunities than limitations with these drones/cameras. Even if they didn't do video, it would still be awesome. I shoot almost entirely video and learning/practicing cinematic moves on these drones provides endless enjoyment.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661