DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini question for commercial use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gt350h

Reactions
I currently have a Mavic pro platinum. I’ve only used it for recreational purposes until recently. I was asked to film some stuff for a friend that has a YouTube channel. He entered his film in a film festival and had enough people interested in his channel that now he’s apparently getting money from the channel. He’s concerned that I am unlicensed and in a roundabout way he is getting paid for my footage. I told him no problem because I’m looking into getting licensed right now. But now I see the Mini has arrived. My question is if I am going to potentially get paid by someone for filming using a mini, do I need to be licensed in any way? I didn’t see a clear explanation online. I saw anything under 250g does not need to be licensed but don’t see anything for commercial use. Can anyone give me a heads up on what I need to do?
Thanks!

Reactions: ZX14-R
Interesting Question.

For the USA: Commercial use requires a license regardless of the size/weight of the drone.

You need to be licensed (Part 107).

The Mini does not need to be registered due to its weight.

Reactions: Thomas B and Gindra
I currently have a Mavic pro platinum. I’ve only used it for recreational purposes until recently. I was asked to film some stuff for a friend that has a YouTube channel. He entered his film in a film festival and had enough people interested in his channel that now he’s apparently getting money from the channel. He’s concerned that I am unlicensed and in a roundabout way he is getting paid for my footage. I told him no problem because I’m looking into getting licensed right now. But now I see the Mini has arrived. My question is if I am going to potentially get paid by someone for filming using a mini, do I need to be licensed in any way? I didn’t see a clear explanation online. I saw anything under 250g does not need to be licensed but don’t see anything for commercial use. Can anyone give me a heads up on what I need to do?
Thanks!

Monetized YouTube revenue is not normally considered commercial. Certainly in the UK, the CAA specifically mention social media revenue including YouTube revenue stating it does not count as in many cases the original flight was made for pleasure and its earnings were subsequent.
In the USA, the FAA have confirmed to me that sub 0.55lb (250gm) drones do not need registering for hobbyists but do still need registering if flying commercially under part 107 rules.
And in Canada, it's exempt from almost every requirement and rule going.

CHeers
Ian

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks!

So within a few weeks 5000 younglings will be posting there videos on line on every youtube channel with out a pilots license using the mini as they please without a care in the world about regs.

Despite that what you need to concern yourself with for your business is taking away any concerns that potential money making opps might say to you.

This is why you want to get your license, so you can make your money stress free , because as of now your stressing and so is your client.

Since they make money on there channel, your putting them at risk no matter how minimum it is .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerry from ok