DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Vs Jet (RC), phew!

Reactions
I learned a valuable lesson today and thankfully it was a no harm no foul. Our forest preserve has a designated flight area for RC planes and drones. The two sections are together in one part of the preserve, with drones limited to one area when planes are up. An RC jet was up and staying in its area. I waved over to the other area and “assumed” they saw that I had entered the flight area. I was due west of them as the sun was setting. After flying my mini low with a few controlled passes, I began to take her up for a sunset shot. Out of nowhere, the RC jet entered my airspace and missed my mini by about 50’. I immediately descended to a low hover. I waved my arms like a goofball until they acknowledged. I am new to flying, and new to flying in that airspace. After I packed up and drove over to the RC area, I immediately apologized as I should not have assumed they saw me. The RC pilot acknowledged he was in my airspace, and saw me enter the flight area, but was too busy flying to realize I had a bird in the air. Lesson learned for us both. Next time, drive my behind down there and let them know my intentions. Phew.

Why is it that you seem to feel you were wrong? Does RC planes have right of way? The RC pilot admitted that he was in YOUR airspace. SHouldn't he be the one apologizing to you?

Why is it that you seem to feel you were wrong? Does RC planes have right of way? The RC pilot admitted that he was in YOUR airspace. SHouldn't he be the one apologizing to you?
He did apologize profusely. My mistake was assuming he saw me. It would have taken 2 minutes for me to drive/walk down and let them know I’d be flying.

Reactions: apeel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum