DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minis - Incredible Technology but Fragile

Dr.Sparky

Reactions
I am so impressed with the technology that these drones have. No need to elaborate. I am sure it is a challenge to pack it all in with a 249 g limit. Unfortunately the trade off is thinner materials for the shell and arms. A recent tumbled landing broke the arm of my Mini 3 Pro right at the motor.
It does reinforce the need for the DJI Refresh package as damage is unfortunately not unlikely.

I am so impressed with the technology that these drones have. No need to elaborate. I am sure it is a challenge to pack it all in with a 249 g limit. Unfortunately the trade off is thinner materials for the shell and arms. A recent tumbled landing broke the arm of my Mini 3 Pro right at the motor.
It does reinforce the need for the DJI Refresh package as damage is unfortunately not unlikely.
The Mini 3 Pro is so light and lands so slowly, maybe I ask how you were able to damage it upon landing? I wouldn't consider the drone to be fragile, obviously it's not going to stand up to doing things it isn't supposed to do. Curious as to what happened? Windy? Hand-landing? Landing on your car's roof?

Reactions: MS Coast and @Rip
I was flying it above the house (intentionally) by at least 10 ft and practicing using the sticks to fly rectangular patterns. Battery was around 21% when the controller said "Landing, Landing" and it dropped down clipping the eave of the roof on the way down. It was as if the props just stopped. I've seen some crashes on YouTube with little damage but this snapped the arm where the motor mounts. Clearly a weak spot.

I was flying it above the house (intentionally) by at least 10 ft and practicing using the sticks to fly rectangular patterns. Battery was around 21% when the controller said "Landing, Landing" and it dropped down clipping the eave of the roof on the way down. It was as if the props just stopped. I've seen some crashes on YouTube with little damage but this snapped the arm where the motor mounts. Clearly a weak spot.
I think you should presume/assume less and post the logs, as requested of you in your other post relating to this crash.
Drone's have shut down in mid air because batteries have run out but generally that has happened at or below 0%.
Falling from what is probably in excess of 20ft in quite likely to damage most drones if they fall on the wrong thing and that includes those above 250g.

Looks like I will never know for certain. If I we're not such a novice I would blame it on some malfunction (which it could be) but for now it's a learning experience. Not just flying, but photography, file storage and even dealing with my iMac. Soon it will become fun.
Question:
If I had moved the sticks accidentally to stop the props, would the drone announce an immediate landing or just go down? Mine did say something like Landing, Landing.

Looks like I will never know for certain. If I we're not such a novice I would blame it on some malfunction (which it could be) but for now it's a learning experience. Not just flying, but photography, file storage and even dealing with my iMac. Soon it will become fun.
Question:
If I had moved the sticks accidentally to stop the props, would the drone announce an immediate landing or just go down? Mine did say something like Landing, Landing.
I think, can't be sure on your particular drone model, that you have to go into the settings and enable the ability to stop the props by using the sticks (unless it's a real emergency). If you didn't recall doing this then it probably didn't happen that way.

The only instances I have heard about the mini 3 suddenly shutting down with plenty of battery left (21% is plenty) is if it overheats, which from what I've read, is common under certain flight conditions. This seems more likely than a CSC emergency stop which takes a few seconds to activate.

Less time than you might think... ~1.5s on the Avata. Likely similar on other models.

Then again, in the pace of control stick movement and flying a drone, 1.5s is an eternity 🫣

Reactions: 3rdof5
Correct, sir. You are at the forefront of technology.
Welcome to the fringe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer