DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Misconception about 400 Feet

This has been a great read. Thanks everyone for all the great info and sources. I do have one question though.

Although my Mavic is registered as a commercial drone (because I use it occasionally with my business) I love to fly it recreationally as well. Am I restricted to 107 rules because of the commercial registration regardless of most flights being recreational?

A little late, but as others have said you're only restricted to 107 rules if you decide before the flight that that's how you will be flying. If you have a N-numbered UAS you can still fly it under part 101 rules without issue, as long as you again decide before the flight that you'll be doing so. (You can't switch rules mid-flight.)

One thing to note however is that if you're busted for doing something stupid with your drone under the hobby rules, the FAA can also punish you by suspending or revoking your part 107 license, so there's more incentive for 107 pilots to fly safely even as hobbyists. Which of course we should be doing anyway, since by definition we know more about how to operate safely in the national airspace than hobbyists do.

Actually drones are F-numbered.

Limiting what 107 holders can do always struck me as a sort of Bizzaro logic - since we put in the effort to learn the rules, and paid the money to take the test, we essentially have fewer options open to us. But hey, that's how she rolls.

Actually, I haven't taken my 107 test yet. Maybe I should take her up to 500 meters while I am still allowed to, and my 107 can't be revoked because I don't have it yet. Sort of like doing your felony just before your 18th birthday, haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: genesimmons
AMA members have an exemption from the FAA for hobby use of drones. FAA recognizes AMA as a CBO.

The main rules are to fly at under 400' within three miles of an airport, and follow their other common-sense guidelines.

FAA Acknowledges AMA as a CBO and our Safety Program | AMA Government Relations Blog

--
Will the FAA stop regulating hobby drones? - - Art from the Air - -
AMA members are NOT exempt from any FAA regulations. Pretty much any thing is a CBO. It simply gives local organizations the ability to make rules on the property that they control.

Reactions: Strafe1
been stressing about the 400ft "Guidelines" i need another 100ft to see over the tree's
Thanks guy's/OP...... Charlies going flying

AMA members have an exemption from the FAA for hobby use of drones. FAA recognizes AMA as a CBO.

The main rules are to fly at under 400' within three miles of an airport, and follow their other common-sense guidelines.

FAA Acknowledges AMA as a CBO and our Safety Program | AMA Government Relations Blog

--
Will the FAA stop regulating hobby drones? - - Art from the Air - -
AMA members have no unique exemptions from FAA regs. As far as FAA is concerned, there are only two groups of flyers: recreational and commercial.

If I launch from an over look of 100-feet will the drone home into 400 and stasy there or can I get it to come back by 'crawling
it up the valley??

If I launch from an over look of 100-feet will the drone home into 400 and stasy there or can I get it to come back by 'crawling
it up the valley??

Your post is confusing. 400' is not a thing in any regard (other then a recommendation).

The Mavic will fly up to 1640' above it's take off point. The altitude of the Mavic is determine from the take off point to its current altitude. The FAA _recommends_ that you stay under 400'.

You should be able to use that information to answer any of your questions in this thread.

I think the FAA implemented commercial rules first because of the immediate concern that commercial operators will go to further extremes then recreational pilots. This is just a guess on my part but I have a feeling they will implement a stricter rule set for recreational flyers of sUAS's.l in the near future.

There is a ton of contradictory information out there regarding the rules for part 107 pilots and hobby flyers. Most of it coming from the FAA itself. I'm sure, given the popularity of drones, they will tighten up the ship. In the end, whether or not it's legal to fly over 400 feet shouldn't really be the question. It's can you do it safely. Interfering with a manned aircraft is not a lottery you want to win.

Hi Guys,

As an amateur when it comes to rules and regs with a basic understanding I'd like to make sure I get this right.

I purchased the Mavic and registered it for $5 (Part 107?) I was always under the impression that I could not exceed 400ft but read that it is possible (not that I am planning to do so but I want to educate myself).

So ,
  • could I basically fly over a construction site? (Crane is 250ft + 400ft = 650ft max altitude?)
  • Could I fly over a high rise (350ft + 400ft = 750ft max.?)
Thank you so much

Dronecrasher

Hi Guys,

As an amateur when it comes to rules and regs with a basic understanding I'd like to make sure I get this right.

I purchased the Mavic and registered it for $5 (Part 107?) I was always under the impression that I could not exceed 400ft but read that it is possible (not that I am planning to do so but I want to educate myself).

So ,
  • could I basically fly over a construction site? (Crane is 250ft + 400ft = 650ft max altitude?)
  • Could I fly over a high rise (350ft + 400ft = 750ft max.?)
Thank you so much

Dronecrasher

This thread contained a lot of confusion about the rules for hobby (Part 101) and non-hobby (Part 107).

Firstly, if you are flying for recreation and have not taken the exam to get your Part 107 RPIC license, then you are under Part 101, not Part 107.

Secondly, the firm 400 ft AGL rule, modified to 400 ft over structures if present, only applies to Part 107 operations. There is no fixed altitude limit for Part 101 - just a rule in the AMA Safety Handbook about notifying airports if flying over 400 ft AGL within 3 miles.

Thanks for your response

recreational use also requires a registration and costs a $5 fee?

Since I have not taken an exam so I am under part 101.

Thanks for your response

recreational use also requires a registration and costs a $5 fee?

Since I have not taken an exam so I am under part 101.

Yes - the registration requirement for recreational flying was reinstated by Congress.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki