DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Missouri Lightning Storm

Good Work! These are great! And I'm super impressed with the sharpness at 4 sec exposures! I haven't managed to get many without some motion blur on much over a second.

Would love to see some of these blended together to show an epic multi-strike shot! :)

Reactions: Yoda007
Thanks! I did have some motion blur at the beginning honestly. I put it in Tripod mode and was golden after that. I didn’t think it would make much difference since I was hovering in one spot but there must be some stabilizing effect with it.

I may have to do some blending now that you mention it...great idea!

Reactions: Yoda007
Nice. I only have 1 lightning pic. It was actually a video I was taking, and while playing it, I saw a lightning strike and extracted that 1 frame as a picture. I have the impression, once you see a lightning and hit the photo button, the lightning would be gone.

Lightning is awesome. Too bad we can't tap into it.
Thank you for posting your stills. Beautiful shots.

Chuck

i love lightning too. these are great. i may be a bit nervous of flying my MA when its happening mind. even if it were 10 miles away. :)

i love lightning too. these are great. i may be a bit nervous of flying my MA when its happening mind. even if it were 10 miles away. :)

I will say that even though it was almost completely still where I was, I had countless “connection lost” notifications. The MP was only up 400’ and out 700’ with a clear view. I think the atmospheric instability was playing a big factor even though my area seemed to be clear. I guess I tend to be a little more ballsy with my MP than I probably should!

Reactions: Excalibre
That's awesome. Did you just constantly shoot those long exposure shots and find the lucky ones after you were done?

More or less that’s how it worked. I started with 8”
exposure but was finding that the lightning was frequent enough that it was washing everything out. So I dropped it to 4” and watched the sky. If nothing happened in that 4 seconds then I immediately shot another one. If something happened then I stopped to check it out before moving on. I ended up with approximately 280 shots. Of those 280, about 60 had some kind of action in them. These were just a few that really stood out to me.

Reactions: DTC709
More or less that’s how it worked. I started with 8”
exposure but was finding that the lightning was frequent enough that it was washing everything out. So I dropped it to 4” and watched the sky. If nothing happened in that 4 seconds then I immediately shot another one. If something happened then I stopped to check it out before moving on. I ended up with approximately 280 shots. Of those 280, about 60 had some kind of action in them. These were just a few that really stood out to me.

Timelapse! :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98