Get more from your Mavic
Friendly, Helpful, Knowledgeable Mavic Community
Join Us Now

Missouri Lightning Storm

Joely-Bird

Reactions
Good Work! These are great! And I'm super impressed with the sharpness at 4 sec exposures! I haven't managed to get many without some motion blur on much over a second.

Would love to see some of these blended together to show an epic multi-strike shot! :)

Reactions: Yoda007

chardister

Reactions
Thanks! I did have some motion blur at the beginning honestly. I put it in Tripod mode and was golden after that. I didn’t think it would make much difference since I was hovering in one spot but there must be some stabilizing effect with it.

I may have to do some blending now that you mention it...great idea!

Reactions: Yoda007

RayOZ

Reactions
Nice. I only have 1 lightning pic. It was actually a video I was taking, and while playing it, I saw a lightning strike and extracted that 1 frame as a picture. I have the impression, once you see a lightning and hit the photo button, the lightning would be gone.

Huge Bama Fan

Reactions

Goldchucker

Reactions
Lightning is awesome. Too bad we can't tap into it.
Thank you for posting your stills. Beautiful shots.

Chuck

Excalibre

Reactions
i love lightning too. these are great. i may be a bit nervous of flying my MA when its happening mind. even if it were 10 miles away. :)

chardister

Reactions
i love lightning too. these are great. i may be a bit nervous of flying my MA when its happening mind. even if it were 10 miles away. :)

I will say that even though it was almost completely still where I was, I had countless “connection lost” notifications. The MP was only up 400’ and out 700’ with a clear view. I think the atmospheric instability was playing a big factor even though my area seemed to be clear. I guess I tend to be a little more ballsy with my MP than I probably should!

Reactions: Excalibre

chardister

Reactions
That's awesome. Did you just constantly shoot those long exposure shots and find the lucky ones after you were done?

More or less that’s how it worked. I started with 8”
exposure but was finding that the lightning was frequent enough that it was washing everything out. So I dropped it to 4” and watched the sky. If nothing happened in that 4 seconds then I immediately shot another one. If something happened then I stopped to check it out before moving on. I ended up with approximately 280 shots. Of those 280, about 60 had some kind of action in them. These were just a few that really stood out to me.

Reactions: DTC709

Joely-Bird

Reactions
More or less that’s how it worked. I started with 8”
exposure but was finding that the lightning was frequent enough that it was washing everything out. So I dropped it to 4” and watched the sky. If nothing happened in that 4 seconds then I immediately shot another one. If something happened then I stopped to check it out before moving on. I ended up with approximately 280 shots. Of those 280, about 60 had some kind of action in them. These were just a few that really stood out to me.

Timelapse! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ricxifiu