DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM Folded Rear Prop Bending per DJI Instructions

I always use the supplied case and fold in blades as per instructions. Probably got a hundred flights so far and no issues. Nobody I know with one is having this issue either. Not sure this is an issue.

Reactions: scro
I always use the supplied case and fold in blades as per instructions. Probably got a hundred flights so far and no issues. Nobody I know with one is having this issue either. Not sure this is an issue.

It's an issue if you don't fold them properly in the case, and it's easy enough to replicate:

I believe I can now confirm that you must be careful how you fold the props underneath when storing in the flymore case. I updated to the new firmware this weekend and on my first flight I got the "motor speed error" and was prompted to change props. Had never seen this before so I landed and checked the props carefully on the motor it indicated. They looked fine so I flew again. Soon got the same error. I went ahead and changed the offending props out and my next flight flew a full battery flawlessly.

Started looking closely at the way the props fold and the design of the case and I'm pretty sure I had let the props get underneath the drone when putting it away so the unit was resting on them Must have warped them just enough to cause an issue but not be seen with the eye. I still can't tell that they look bad just by inspecting them and other than the error message I noticed no problems in the performance when flying on the old props.

So hopefully the new firmware update is doing us a favor by detecting warped props. I hope this doesn't become a regular thing that it tells me to change props it doesn't like for whatever reason when they look and fly normally. Time will tell. But at the very least this did make me aware of the dangers of incorrectly folding the props underneath the unit when stowing in the flymore case.

just dont use the flymore case, I only used mine in the beginning because I could remove the props easily, now I use a camera bag and its a lot better

@steve_lyt This is the Mavic Mini section of the forum. What works well for a MP2 may not necessarily work for the Mavic Mini.

The flymore case for the mini actually does a very good job at not putting pressure on the props when used as intended. It's quite a different design to other DJI flymore cases. It's a rigid hard shell case with shaped recesses for the drone, controller etc in contrast to a padded fabric bag with pockets (like most camera bags). Using a 3rd party bag could easily make the problem worse, if no appropriate additional protection was put around the props (eg something like in post#16)

Reactions: pelagic_one
when I got my mavic , it was a tght squeeze to fit everything in. I use a shoulder camera bag that is not small but not too large, I agree but putting protection on the blades seems to me a requirement. but you should do everyting to protect you drone no matter which model you have, and the bag i use has in the past protected a nikon d800 , d750 , plus lens and flash guns at the same time. so it is very will padded it would probably take a mini in the flymore case , and put the other accessories around it in the3 bag

Last edited:
The flymore case for the Mini is the protection for the blades. :)

I presume you've actually seen/handled a Mavic Mini and a MM flymore case, so understand what it's like and how the case holds and protects the drone (incl props) when it is correctly placed inside?

My only gripe with the setup is that after folding the blades over each other (as per instructions) care has to be taken that they don't spin around a bit and end up not sitting in the recess they are supposed to sit in. This is where the blades can then get squashed/deformed under the body of the drone. The individual blades are secured by a screw that has a shoulder on it. When fully tightened the plastic blade is still "loose" on the screw and will flop about under its own weight.

Last edited:
It's an issue if you don't fold them properly in the case, and it's easy enough to replicate:

So...I've read about all the mavic minis rear motor/prop issues...but never could replicate it. Until today...

I decided to store my mini in the case overnight (never have) and test fly it today during moderate wind.
Immediately the drone sounded more high pitch than I've ever heard it upon take off...and shortly after I was met with the "beeping esc change props " message.

Here's what I did. I rebooted the drone...and took off again immediately. No whine...no errors. Hmmmm...

Then I packed it back into the case...and then decided to try 1 more flight. As I was preparing to press takeoff...my phone rang and I took it...while pressing takeoff anyway. That's when I noticed something...

When the blades are crossed over one another as if it was just unpacked...there's a clicking noise as centrifugal force un-wraps them...and immediately the high pitch dound returned and stayed for the entire flight.
I tested this several times...either opening the blades manually and letting them be crossed while starting up.
Replicatable EVERY time.

My theory is...the drone senses the resistance (of the crossed blades) in the moment of startup..then immediately puts that engine into a limp mode until pilot lands it...even though the blades straightened themselves out immediately.
Also explains why changing blades seems to help...because they are swung out already before power-up.

Just fyi....EVERY time I replicated the esc/prop error..it was eith crossed back blades. EVERY time I swing them into position first...it became a different drone for the whole flight.
Knowing this...I turn the props out for easier spin up now..and the drone is perfect every time. Never changed props.
Just something to consider

@Hellhunter interesting! How exactly were the rear props oriented once the drone was in the case? Were they folded over each other like the sticker in post #1?

I always keep the drone in the case unless I'm actually flying it or updating etc. Also I have never specifically unfolded the props before starting the motors and have yet to get any ominous ESC messages or notice strange flight characteristics.

@Hellhunter interesting! How exactly were the rear props oriented once the drone was in the case? Were they folded over each other like the sticker in post #1?

I always keep the drone in the case unless I'm actually flying it or updating etc. Also I have never specifically unfolded the props before starting the motors and have yet to get any ominous ESC messages or notice strange flight characteristics.
Me either. Until today when I heard the clicking upon startup of the drone "forcing" them to open. Then I lightbulb went off.
Yep I packaged it as the illustration shows...but in my flipping it around before I set it up...I let them "tangle".
Never was on my radar to think about that.. until I watched the drones reaction

it seems to me that the case fit is too tight , maybe the fit should be a bit looser

it seems to me that the case fit is too tight , maybe the fit should be a bit looser
Only thing I can say is...when I take the time to unfurl the props...my flights go off without a hitch. When I dont...I get the error (which never did until firmware). But you can actually hear the drone struggle with the binding when motors rev. And that condition remains artificially until pilot "addresses" the issue.

Just had a play with mine. Even with the blades forced across each other as per left pic they immediately spread apart as soon as the motors spool up and even before takeoff. No clicking, no esc errors, and maybe just a fleeting faint twitch as the off balance crossed blades spread out and equalise. 20200427_203713.jpg

Just had a play with mine. Even with the blades forced across each other as per left pic they immediately spread apart as soon as the motors spool up and even before takeoff. No clicking, no esc errors, and maybe just a fleeting faint twitch as the off balance crossed blades spread out and equalise. View attachment 99768
That was my experience too until today. Had never hear clicking either until I did it once by accident. After that I could replicate it by forcably crossing the props.

Not sure what you mean. Too tight against the props? When stored as per instructions the props don't come into contact with any part of the case. Sure, it's a snug fit against the body of the drone, but that's so it doesn't rattle about in the case.

im just saying it , they should supply blade protector, to reduce the possibility of damage, it seems that with the blades being fixed, there must be something they could do. or modify the case so it puts less pressure on the blades

Just had a play with mine. Even with the blades forced across each other as per left pic they immediately spread apart as soon as the motors spool up and even before takeoff. No clicking, no esc errors, and maybe just a fleeting faint twitch as the off balance crossed blades spread out and equalise. View attachment 99768
I wonder if the force applied to motors upon launch is dependent on wind conditions in the drones face. Its windy here and it's the first time I have made them "slam" upon startup.

That was my experience too until today. Had never hear clicking either until I did it once by accident. After that I could replicate it by forcably crossing the props.
Check if the blades are contacting the arms or body? "Clicking" sounds like maybe the tips of the props just snicking the body/arm. I can get my rear blades pretty close to the arms by crossing the props over one another.Others have reported issues of props striking the body, but usually this is on the upper front, just back from the "eyes".20200427_205900.jpg

Check if the blades are contacting the arms or body? "Clicking" sounds like maybe the tips of the props just snicking the body/arm. I can get my rear blades pretty close to the arms by crossing the props over one another.Others have reported issues of props striking the body, but usually this is on the upper front, just back from the "eyes".View attachment 99772
Nah. The clicking is definitely coming from the crossed props. Buy oddly only on the left rear. When I unfurl them...it never happens.
Bear in mind until today I never had anything wrong with flight. Today I set out to force the issue.

im just saying it , they should supply blade protector, to reduce the possibility of damage, it seems that with the blades being fixed, there must be something they could do. or modify the case so it puts less pressure on the blades

If you take the time to put the drone in the case properly, arranging the blades properly and making sure they stay that way as you lower it into the case, then the case puts no pressure on the blades whatsoever.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121