DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM RTH altitude question, perhaps a bit obscure?

Guil

Reactions
Hello,

First post here, flew a Phantom 4 Pro for several years prior to the MM, no problems so far...

One of my typical flights is a loop out of my backyard, following a stream south for a few hundred metres, then back. At the end of the loop I end up under a DJI 60 m altitude ceiling associated with my local airport, which is actually quite artificial, as the circuit altitude in that area is approx. 1100 ft AGL or approx. 335 m, so unless they are crashing there should be no aircraft anywhere near 60 m AGL! I know this firsthand as a Private Pilot who has flown the circuit hundreds of times. Be that as it may, does anyone know what happens if my RTH altitude is set at 75 m and RTH is initiated within that 60 m altitude restricted zone? Will the MM stay at 60 m as it was flying prior to RTH, or will it climb to 75 m, or worse will it try to climb, hit the 60 m and eventually land itself as it is breaking the DJI no-go zone?

Don't want to find out the hard way that it is the latter, as terrain and trees in that area will likely preclude a recovery. Thoughts?

Thanks.

welcome to the forum
a very good question if the point you are referring to is close to your take off point the MM will just land
if it is outside that distance it should go up to the preset height you have set and return
i can see your point though maybe someone who knows the definative answer can advise you

You could test this by switching the RC off when the aircraft has a clear, short, easily "recoverable" flight path home.

Hi Guil.
Couple thoughts on your inquiry. First, is the 60m restriction on the approach or departure ends of the airport? In those areas planes will be below circuit altitude. So that may explain the restriction.
Secondly, is there a reason you have to set the RTH to 75m? Could you use 60m for that particular flight?
Personally, I have never tested the RTH feature on my drones in a DJI no-go zone.
Regards & happy flying
Fun Flyer

I would think geofence altitude restriction would overrule RTH height setting if geofence is lower.

If DJI is in error for their guidance, you can email [email protected] about the discrepancy. Check the geofence map to see what your area looks like.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe