DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM strange behaviour

dingo62

Reactions
I recently purchased a second hand MM Flymore Kit online, here in the UK and, having taken it out for its first flight, noticed a series of very strange behaviour issues. I thought I'd impart my knowledge for the benefit of the rest of the community!
I should also state that I have two other drones (Parrot Anafi and a MM2 Pro), so I'm definitely not new to flying drones either.
Updated everything (aircraft/controller/batteries etc.) to the latest firmware, charged all three batteries and ventured out to a spot I often fly in. This place is in a rural location with no power lines or buildings and I have never had any wi-fi/transmission disconnections with either of my others drones, flown in this location.
The MM went through the usual startup process - I did a compass calibration, along with a pretty standard pre-flight check - all showed as ok and MM controller stated no errors and 'takeoff permitted'
This is when the problems began - as the aircraft reached about 30 feet, it refused to go any higher, with a max power error warning onscreen. After a short while this error message disappeared and I was able to take the MM up to around 100ft - then pushing right stick forward, the MM flew forwards, but descended at the same time!! Taking my hands off the controller, and the descent slowly continued - the MM also yawed right a quarter of a turn (again hands off sticks). I brought the craft down manually with a hand land and turned everything off, then on again to reset.
I performed another compass calibration and decided to try again, but the same behaviour issues reoccurred - at which point I decided that any further attempts to rectify the problem would unlikely be successful. There was also a strange sound to the propellers that I noticed, particularly when applying the thrust for take off - it sounded (for dire needs of a better description) like compressed air being pushed down a tube - I've never heard propellers make a noise like that before - and in point of fact I did think the time, that the MM sounds far noisier than I expected it to.
I think the thing here is that the craft is obviously faulty and, probably highlights the perils of buying second hand (and not knowing the provenance of the drone - so to speak). I didn't try to access the aircraft data, as my main concern was in returning the item, within the timeframe stated under the distance selling clause with the online retailer. I successfully got my money refunded - so no real loss apart from time!
I have to say that it was very disappointing all the same, as the MM shows in most reviews, to be generally very capable. It also leaves me feeling uncomfortable about buying a new MM to have another go with - but i suppose I shouldn't let this issue put me off!
As I say - I decided to post the above, to share my experience with the community and, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else has had similar issues with their MM?

The max power error warning has been reported in many crash / fly-away incidents for Mini. Sounds like one of the motor / prop is bad on your Mini. The flight logs should still be in your phone. If you can share them here may be the reason can be identified.

And once there to retrieve, might as well share both the TXT & the DAT log files ... below how to find them in your phone, attach them then in a new post in this thread.

LOG FILE RETRIEVAL

Mobile device DJI TXT logs

The log naming convention, based on the date and time of the start of the flight, is: DJIFlightRecord_YYYY_MM_DD_[hr-min-sec].txt.

With iOS devices running DJI GO 4 you need to access the app files via computer, either using iTunes or with a file system browser such as iExplorer. The TXT logs are in Apps » DJI GO 4 » FlightRecords. The same method can be used to access DJI Fly files in DJI Fly » FlightRecords, but with DJI Fly they are also accessible using the iOS Files app by selecting Browse » On My iPhone » DJI Fly » FlightRecords.

With Android devices the file system should mount when plugged into a Windows machine, or via various software options on a Mac. With DJI GO 4 the TXT logs are in DJI » dji.go.v4 » FlightRecord. With DJI Fly they are in DJI » dji.go.v5 » FlightRecord.

Mobile device DAT files (DJI GO 4 & DJI Fly)

The DAT file naming convention, based on the date and time of the start of the file, is: YY-MM-DD-hr-min-sec_FLYXXX.DAT., where XXX is the flight recorder file index from the HOME_dataRecorderFileIndex field in the txt log.

These are retrieved by the same method as the TXT logs. Under both iOS and Android they are in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs.

Ditto getting the flight logs from your smartphone or whatever device you were using to fly the MM and uploading them. A few folks on this forum can tell you a lot about why the drone behaved the way it did from those logs. Without them the description of your issue isn't going to be much help.

Just an idea - but have you looked at NATS Drone Assist to see if you were attempting to fly in a restricted/geo-fenced area???
If you don't use NATS DA, let us know your location (village/town) and we can see if there are any restrictions ion the airspace??

Thanks guys for your responses - I have the flight log .txt files (which I airdropped to my MacBook from my iPhone. Theses files though, seem to just contain gobbledegook with no discernible text - I must be doing something wrong?
Also, there are no files in the 'MCDatFlightRecords' folder on my iPhone for some reason?

Just an idea - but have you looked at NATS Drone Assist to see if you were attempting to fly in a restricted/geo-fenced area???
If you don't use NATS DA, let us know your location (village/town) and we can see if there are any restrictions ion the airspace??
Hi - thanks - and good point - but no, I have the NATS Drone Assist app and I'm not in any sort of geofenced/restricted area.
I've also flown my M2 Pro and Parrot Anafi here many times, with no issues at all.

Thanks guys for your responses - I have the flight log .txt files (which I airdropped to my MacBook from my iPhone. Theses files though, seem to just contain gobbledegook with no discernible text - I must be doing something wrong?
Also, there are no files in the 'MCDatFlightRecords' folder on my iPhone for some reason?
OK ... to bad regarding the DAT log, seems to be quite common when it comes to the Mini unfortunately. But please attach the TXT log here directly or upload it to --> PhantomHelp website & share the link to us here.

That's what the .txt file should look like.
Post it or a link to where you've stored it and someone will be able to make sense of it.

Agreed, faulty unit.
It happens from time to time.
Be hard pressed to get the DAT files though.
My MM has never produced a DAT file in the MCDatFlightRecords folder.

Reactions: RC_Adik
My MM stores both the TXT and DAT files after each flight. I guess I have a good one.

It has been reported that the .DAT file is deleted once DJI Fly app has synced the logs to DJI.

I have disabled the auto sync within DJI Fly to prevent the .DAT files from being deleted.

I recently purchased a second hand MM Flymore Kit online, here in the UK and, having taken it out for its first flight, noticed a series of very strange behaviour issues. I thought I'd impart my knowledge for the benefit of the rest of the community!
I should also state that I have two other drones (Parrot Anafi and a MM2 Pro), so I'm definitely not new to flying drones either.
Updated everything (aircraft/controller/batteries etc.) to the latest firmware, charged all three batteries and ventured out to a spot I often fly in. This place is in a rural location with no power lines or buildings and I have never had any wi-fi/transmission disconnections with either of my others drones, flown in this location.
The MM went through the usual startup process - I did a compass calibration, along with a pretty standard pre-flight check - all showed as ok and MM controller stated no errors and 'takeoff permitted'
This is when the problems began - as the aircraft reached about 30 feet, it refused to go any higher, with a max power error warning onscreen. After a short while this error message disappeared and I was able to take the MM up to around 100ft - then pushing right stick forward, the MM flew forwards, but descended at the same time!! Taking my hands off the controller, and the descent slowly continued - the MM also yawed right a quarter of a turn (again hands off sticks). I brought the craft down manually with a hand land and turned everything off, then on again to reset.
I performed another compass calibration and decided to try again, but the same behaviour issues reoccurred - at which point I decided that any further attempts to rectify the problem would unlikely be successful. There was also a strange sound to the propellers that I noticed, particularly when applying the thrust for take off - it sounded (for dire needs of a better description) like compressed air being pushed down a tube - I've never heard propellers make a noise like that before - and in point of fact I did think the time, that the MM sounds far noisier than I expected it to.
I think the thing here is that the craft is obviously faulty and, probably highlights the perils of buying second hand (and not knowing the provenance of the drone - so to speak). I didn't try to access the aircraft data, as my main concern was in returning the item, within the timeframe stated under the distance selling clause with the online retailer. I successfully got my money refunded - so no real loss apart from time!
I have to say that it was very disappointing all the same, as the MM shows in most reviews, to be generally very capable. It also leaves me feeling uncomfortable about buying a new MM to have another go with - but i suppose I shouldn't let this issue put me off!
As I say - I decided to post the above, to share my experience with the community and, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else has had similar issues with their MM?

Super lucky to be able to return it. DJI keeps having me send it in for repairs, but they don't fix the problem, very similar to what you describe. I got mine before christmas, and never had any issues until I upgraded the firmware (to 1.04) Reverting back to 1.03 didn't fix it. It's a defect, but they won't let me return it.

OK ... to bad regarding the DAT log, seems to be quite common when it comes to the Mini unfortunately. But please attach the TXT log here directly or upload it to --> PhantomHelp website & share the link to us here.
If you have "autosync" enabled in DJI Fly app, once the .DAT files have synced with DJI's servers the local file is deleted.
I have disabled the "Autosync" option in DJI Fly, and now I have my .DAT files.

I am new to Drones myself and I haven't owned my MM a week. I did a ton of research before I purchased my MM and I've been very careful every time I've flown, but I've seen the max load message twice now. It has come on the screen and gone away immediately. 2 other flights the camera has glitched for a split second, but the drone has flown perfectly, so I thought maybe it was just the camera. It's been a little windy since I bought it last Wednesday, so I haven't flown it more than 200 feet, but even at that the MM itself has flown flawlessly. Last night a friend of mine asked me to take some arial aerial footage of an event she put on and before I could take off I had to ask permission, enter all my info and enter a code that was texted to me. I didn't quite understand all that, but I wasn't going very high and I stayed over the property owned by the boys and girls club. I bought the drone to film some of my comedies and for the price the MM seemed perfect, but I'm hoping the max load issue wont be too bad.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan