DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM take a swim

You are a lucky Bagger!
Apart from diving straight in after it LOL....you implemented the right process....well done.
Thanks mate for sharing , stay safe from Down Under.

and pass over my inground pool maybe 2 feet over .i don,t know what happen but the only thing i remember is the word LANDING.
I understand that the mini's bottom camera sensor had a problem with the reflective surface and went into a landing mode with voice notification.
You say you made a 2 foot moving pass over your pool. Questions:
1. I am wondering if it immediately stopped moving on it's own and then started the decent and announced LANDING, or had you paused over the pool?
2. If a pilot is prepared when flying a mini low and slow (or paused) over water and gets a LANDING warning, can the landing be cancelled and how? Also is there enough time?

Reactions: OldEd
I understand that the mini's bottom camera sensor had a problem with the reflective surface and went into a landing mode with voice notification.
1. I am wondering if it immediately stopped moving on it's own and then started the decent and announced LANDING, or had you paused over the pool?
2. If a pilot is prepared when flying a mini low and slow (or paused) over water and gets a LANDING warning, can the landing be cancelled and how? Also is there enough time?

As far as I know and have tried it, is that once it is about a foot above ground and it says landing nothing stops it descending

Reactions: EyesWideShut
On 4 May Drone Valley posted a 22 minute youtube video ”Anatomy of a Mini Mavic flyaway“. In it he discusses flying over different terrain including water. He explains Visual Inertial Odometry and the challenges of flying over specifically smooth water at a low level. This guy is a great presenter and well worth the time to view any of his offerings. I only have around 10 hours total flying drones so I depend on this forum and YouTube to minimize my poor judgement.

On 4 May Drone Valley posted a 22 minute youtube video ”Anatomy of a Mini Mavic flyaway“. In it he discusses flying over different terrain including water. He explains Visual Inertial Odometry and the challenges of flying over specifically smooth water at a low level. This guy is a great presenter and well worth the time to view any of his offerings. I only have around 10 hours total flying drones so I depend on this forum and YouTube to minimize my poor judgement.

Thanks @ChattaroyJack . I took a look at Drone Valley's video. Well done as usual with a great explanation on the "VIO".

Reactions: FLPilotshark
Very lucky...
You can kiss that drone go by and I will never trust flying it again. Ones you get any of those integrated circuits and the memory chips wet, the drone will never work properly!
I am not sure why you would be flying only 2ft over a pool especially since you have no stick time but thats besides the point.. When your new drone all of a sudden just fly's off on you or drops right out of the air, at least you will know why!

You can kiss that drone go by and I will never trust flying it again. Ones you get any of those integrated circuits and the memory chips wet, the drone will never work properly!
I am not sure why you would be flying only 2ft over a pool especially since you have no stick time but thats besides the point.. When your new drone all of a sudden just fly's off on you or drops right out of the air, at least you will know why!

I agree with your sentiments regarding ever being able to trust a wet through drone in flight again.
But lots of minis (and other DJI / other drone makes) often fly off, or drop out of the sky for no apparent reason too [emoji51][emoji12]
If it ever happens, the flight log concerned may hold a clue.

Reactions: boblui
If you fly over water it messes with the sensors snow will do the same thing. Flying in the clouds will also mess with the sensors flying directly into the sun will mess with the sensors.

my friend, can u explain me how flying into the sun can mess with down sensors? with clouds its plausible, but unlikely .. need perfect condition for that (hovering just under 5m of cloud which is NOT moving ? very unusual situation ) and also, if i understood manual, and role of down prox sensor, its is not problem when u are flying above water, problem is if u stop and hover and u are below 5m and water is CALM - not moving , u can get in trouble ( more close to water = higher chance of problem, if i remember correctly down sensors are starting to taking responsibility of positioning for drone from GPS when u go under 8m, but it still taking inputs from gps (like dual work) but more u come down more of down sensors taking the job from GPS)

Reactions: boblui
Glad that your Mini is OK. The theory of water confusing the sensor making the drone land is simply WRONG.

Can you upload the flight log files so that the real cause can be ascertained ? It will help to prevent the same problem from happening to you again in the future. If your drone has got defects, you may want to have it replaced by DJI before flying again.

There are two flight log files, one is .TXT and the other is .DAT. Both are in your phone. You may follow this thread to find the files : Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide. Go to the first post, paragraph 3 headed " LOG FILE RETRIEVAL "

......more u come down more of down sensors taking the job from GPS.....

This is not true because the drone does not know what is underneath it so it will not use or rely very little on the position information supplied by the bottom camera unless GPS signals is not available or very weak. Even if the drone takes the position information from the bottom camera and the information is wrong, the drone will only drift horizontally instead of descending.

This is not true because the drone does not know what is underneath it so it will not use or rely very little on the position information supplied by the bottom camera unless GPS signals is not available or very weak. Even if the drone takes the position information from the bottom camera and the information is wrong, the drone will only drift horizontally instead of descending.
The downward sensors are significantly more accurate than GPS for altitude (supplemented by barometer) and horizontal position holding when the drone is low enough for them to work.

This is even stated in the specs:
Vertical: ±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning), ±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
Horizontal: ±0.3 m (with Vision Positioning), ±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)

The drone DOES know what is underneath due to the downward facing sensors it and it would make every bit of sense that these sensors are prioritized over GPS when flying at altitudes where VPS is reliable. This approach only gives problems when the VPS gets confused signals such as with wildly varying reflectivity from water for the IR proximity sensor, or no discernible pattern for the optical flow sensor to lock onto (a bit like trying to use an optical mouse on a glass table)

Drone does not now what is underneath?
Just put your hand under it, u will see how it will move by itself ! There are two sensors (and a camera) there, one of them is for positioning under 10m
Although, in manual does clearly state that drone is flying 10m+ ONLY on gps and above 10m ONLY on VPS, be sure that it uses both of them
U can also conclude that claim when u see in manual thing as '' do not fly close to water, snow, black surface.... , EVER!
there is not statement there '' if you dont have GPS signal'' dont fly close to water,snow.....

This approach only gives problems when the VPS gets confused signals such as with wildly varying reflectivity from water for the IR proximity sensor, or no discernible pattern for the optical flow sensor to lock onto (a bit like trying to use an optical mouse on a glass table)
exactly. thats infrarend sensor, and i thing that is cousing problems in this situations..

Last edited:
2 parallel threads on nearly the same topic... :)

this is my first drone only 2 weeks old and a few flight. yesterday in the backyard i practice my skill and pass over my inground pool maybe 2 feet over .i don,t know what happen but the only thing i remember is the word LANDING.and yes the MM sink in 4 feet for about 2 minutes i run to get the pool net get the drone out remove the battery and took off the top shell and blow air with an hairdryer after 15 minutes everything look dry so i put a full charge battery and power it on and yes everything start .the battery that was in when the incident happen is dead when i put in the charger i got 3 fast blink and nothing happen.
the gimbel is ok only the camera lens was very foggy so i put the drone in a ziplock for the night with silica gel bag in . this morning the lens was almost perfect 75% dry picture was foggy so i put the drone outside facing the sun all morning and yessssss everything is ok picture and video is perfect
i fly the drone today and everything work fine...so just 1 battery to replace
I am lucky after all
Bagger
Minimum 2 meters over water

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie