DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM2 v MM1 Flyaways

Gkinghrn

Reactions
I am seriously considering selling my MA2 and going for a MM2. I sold the M1 I had because of the number of flyaways that seemed to be occurring and the uncontrolled landings that ended up in water (I live at the seaside) and in addition the wind was challenging.

From everything I read the wind issue has been largely dealt with (albeit not at the capability of the MA2) and given the ability to use this in the A1 category once I have passed my A2CofC it’s tempting to swap my MA2 for the mm2 ... the only thing stopping me is that I havent read anything negative about flyaways etc and either they aren’t happening (I hope this is he case) or they are still occurring .

I have looked around the forum and haven’t come across anything (or I didn’t look hard enough in which case please point me at where this has been discussed) ...

thoughts?

Flown my Mini 2 a handful of times in various weather conditions since ive had it and no issues so far. There were a few firmware issues initially on it’s release but they seem to have been largely ironed out with the recent updates, but it’s been a great little drone so far, I personally love mine. This is coming from someone who used to have the original Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Gkinghrn
... the only thing stopping me is that I havent read anything negative about flyaways etc and either they aren’t happening (I hope this is he case) or they are still occurring .
There is always a cause for any flight incident and the cause can often be determined from analysis of flight data.
Drones can be lost for various reasons but there's no such thing as a "flyaway".

Reactions: Johnmcl7
It's well known that a bunch of mm1's went AWOL in flight and others suffered from uncontrolled descents etc... Yes a number of those can be attributed to a specific error but there are a lot of them which were due to drone errors and were not end user initiated.. there are enough of them identified here on the forum ..

It's well known that a bunch of mm1's went AWOL in flight and others suffered from uncontrolled descents etc... Yes a number of those can be attributed to a specific error but there are a lot of them which were due to drone errors and were not end user initiated.. there are enough of them identified here on the forum ..
Having analysed the flight data from numerous Mini flight incidents, I'm skeptical about your suggestion that Mini's were mysteriously going AWOL.
The uncommanded descent issue was cured with firmware version 1.0.5 and no other models were affected.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
I wouldn't say uncontrolled descent was cured, just that the cause was made more apparent: warped props that reduced their lift capabilities. Replace props on the identified motor and problem goes away, as long as you don't crush them again in storage.

The "flyaways" were blow aways in that pilot did not properly estimate winds aloft and what the MM1 could handle.

My MM2 tried to "fly away" on me yesterday. It wouldn't respond to my command to reverse, then all of a sudden stopped. Flew like normal afterwards. Spooky.

I am seriously considering selling my MA2 and going for a MM2. I sold the M1 I had because of the number of flyaways that seemed to be occurring and the uncontrolled landings that ended up in water (I live at the seaside) and in addition the wind was challenging.

From everything I read the wind issue has been largely dealt with (albeit not at the capability of the MA2) and given the ability to use this in the A1 category once I have passed my A2CofC it’s tempting to swap my MA2 for the mm2 ... the only thing stopping me is that I havent read anything negative about flyaways etc and either they aren’t happening (I hope this is he case) or they are still occurring .

I have looked around the forum and haven’t come across anything (or I didn’t look hard enough in which case please point me at where this has been discussed) ...

thoughts?
Hi.....I have both the MA2 and the MM-2. I'm sending my Mini-2 back to California because after the First Firmware upgrade and flying the MM-2 several times, It will NOT CONNECT the Controller to the Aircraft and the Rapid rear flashing will not allow me to Turn the Mini-2 off unless I take the battery out, that is the only way to shut it down. I'm pretty PO about this Mini-2. I have contacted the DJI Support site and all the guy did was send me a Video on how to Connect the Aircraft to the Controller !! I said What?? a Youtube video ?? thats like a Plumber handing you a pipe-wrench and saying "let me know how it turns out". After several attemps to re-contact DJI Support only to have some other guy tell me something different.
I wanted to find out if others have had this same issue with the Mini-2. I'm very concerned about this Fly-Away program, it seems that they have created an issue and don't really know how to fix the problem so they Ask their Customers to Pay for Fly-away issues ... Hope you get your answers somewhere on this Forum... Ron

I'm very concerned about this Fly-Away program, it seems that they have created an issue and don't really know how to fix the problem so they Ask their Customers to Pay for Fly-away issues ... Hope you get your answers somewhere on this Forum... Ron
This isn't the case, in the very unusual occasions where a DJI drone has been lost due to a failure of the drone DJI will already replace the drone under the warranty although sometimes they need a bit of a push or there's simply not enough information to show what happened. There are many drones that are lost due to pilot error so it makes sense for DJI to offer a service to replace drones in these instances.

Meta4 is one of the most knowledgeable people about DJI drones, the crashes and their causes on this forum and having spent some time looking through the crash forum here, I agree entirely with the comments above, When I first bought a DJI drone I did find the amount of topics about flyaways extremely alarming because it gives the impression there's a high chance your drone is going to simply disappear and there's nothing you can do about it. However that just isn't the case and in most cases the accident or loss has happened due to a mistake by the pilot, understanding these causes can prevent others losing their drones.

Reactions: maelstrom
I have checked almost every post about loss of a drone and love it when Meta4 comes back with the data.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405