DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mmmmm.... Skydio 2 + keyframes...

Montana_Flyer

Reactions
Skydio has vamped up their current drone (2) with a significant firmware upgrade, including what DJI has abandoned. Skydio is calling it 'Keyframes', similar to what DJI used to call 'Waypoints'.

Not only is this an update to their flagship vehicle, but they also introduced the '2+', a midlife hardware upgraded version of the 2, adding omni-directional antennas to increase range, as well as new batteries that add 20% more flight time. One thing to note, the batteries and keyframe abilities have been made available to the older version as well (DJI would NEVER launch a drone with extended features while making those upgrades available to previous versions).

This is a game changer, making Skydio more than just the ultimate autonomous tracker, but now entering into the cinematic arena.

Go Skydio USA!!!

Yes, and I tried the Keyframe today with the 2, it is a really gamechanging feature! I cannot wait to figure out some truly interesting patterns and the like.

Reactions: slozukimc
I was looking at this release myself. The price range for the features presented are much more reasonable for my hobby budget than the M3. It's definitely on my radar......

Reactions: slozukimc
I was looking at this release myself. The price range for the features presented are much more reasonable for my hobby budget than the M3. It's definitely on my radar......
Yes, although I cannot speak to the budget side, I will say this, each drone has it's own very specific use. For example, during the holidays I got some amazing nighttime shots of decorated homes. The Skydio could not have done this. However the M3 also has zero chance of the same kind of obstacle avoidance and now the Keyframe capability.

Probably an endless list of pro's and con's but if I had to pick one right now, I have to admit that I would chose the Skydio. I of course may change my opinion as time goes on, but right now I want to explore the possibilities of getting unexpected cinematic type shots thanks to keyframes.

I am less confident with the M3 just due to the weird control issues I have experienced. Of course, new firmware is on the way, so all things are subject to change.

I’m seriously considering Skydio 2+ for my ‘upgrade’ from Air1. More than a follow me drone now! Keeping my Air 1 though. Alternate option is Autel Nano+ - waiting on more reviews- about half the price of Skydio as well and claiming better low light imagery.

Totally agree on the 'specific use' point. My first drone was a Mavic Air (2019), but then quickly upgraded to the 2 Zoom (2019 as well) mostly because of the native waypoint control and optical zoom. I have purchased and returned an Air 2, and most recently an Air 2S, simply because of the lack of waypoint capabilities.

Purchased a Skydio a week before they reduced prices by 30%, and do you think they cared? YES!! A simple request to sales and they credited me $400 the same day. Would DJI do that?

Now they have created an upgraded version, and as I mentioned in the original post, what I care about (waypoint/keyframes) have been made backwards compatible.

Think I'll keep my Mavic 2 forever (love that bird), but use the Skydio for most operations that don't need the 1-inch sensor or range. I am certain that Skydio's reputation will continue to please us customers through upgrades and software improvements, as well as a much anticipated Skydio 3/Pro in the coming year. I just hope that they pay attention to the controller now that they have moved into the cine arena...

Also pleased to see Autel move into and challenge the DJI space. If that was a US company, I would be more optimistic, but I am loosing faith in the Chinese product motives and strategies. The price is a little high though for a sub 250 gram nano+ ($800 for standard package), but very impressive specs. I wonder if the Autel customer support is better than DJI? Wouldn't take much.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyPHX

Does the basic package not include the Transmitter? After a closer look it seems I'd have to spend $200 more to get something that should be included from the start. Surely I'm confused.

Does the basic package not include the Transmitter? After a closer look it seems I'd have to spend $200 more to get something that should be included from the start. Surely I'm confused.
Yeah, that's the first thing that turned me off to it then there's the 12MP camera....

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
Skydio 2 is fun. No doubt.

But the new Skydio 2+ still uses the same camera system as same as the old Skydio 2.

The camera system was good when it was 2018. The camera performance of Skydio 2 is much better than DJI Mavic Air.

But, it is now 2022.

I did a detailed comparison between my Skydio 2 and DJI Air 2S and the result is clear. The camera system of Skydio 2 does not good enough for now.

Maybe the next generation of Skydio, but the Skydio 2+ is not a good deal in 2022.

Last edited:
Skydio 2 is fun. No doubt.

But the new Skydio 2+ still uses the same camera system as same as the old Skydio 2.

The camera system was good when it was 2018. The camera performance of Skydio 2 is much better than DJI Mavic Air.

But, it is now 2022.

I did a detailed comparison between my Skydio 2 and DJI Air 2S and the result is clear. The camera system of Skydio 2 does not good enough for now.

Maybe the next generation of Skydio, but the Skydio 2+ is not a good deal in 2022.
Maybe not, but I am having fun with it. : ) To be fair, there are very few drones I do not find something I love about them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown