DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mobile coverage?

Stockmanager

Reactions
I am about to order a Mavic 2 and have downloaded the manual. I live in an area with no mobile coverage and am concerned that the manual states "mobile cellular data is required when using DJI Go 4 app".

Is this correct? Most of my flying will be in areas with no mobile coverage.

Comments and advice will be appreciated.

Hi,
No it's not required for flying. I use a dedicated mobile phone with no sim card inside.
It's mandatory to have internet availability when activating the Mavic (done only once) and upgrading the no-fly zones and firmware.

I am about to order a Mavic 2 and have downloaded the manual. I live in an area with no mobile coverage and am concerned that the manual states "mobile cellular data is required when using DJI Go 4 app".
That's interesting.
I just checked and you are correct.
The manual says (p54) :
Mobile cellular data is required when using DJI GO 4. Please contact your wireless carrier for data charges.
But that is 100% wrong. Once you have activated (registered your Mavic with DJI) your drone will need cellular data as much as your lawnmower does (not at all)
You can fly it in the middle of the ocean.
Like many flyers, I use a wifi only tablet and most of my flying is where there's no wifi.
Everything works as it should without any wifi or cellular data.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
I believe that the Go 4 app' needs cellular data to provide an accurate 'map' component (bottom left corner of the Go 4 screen), but that can be done using offline / cached maps [Cache Maps in Background] of your flying area. That will need to be set up using WiFi before you head off to your flying site ...

I believe that the Go 4 app' needs cellular data to provide an accurate 'map' component (bottom left corner of the Go 4 screen), but that can be done using offline / cached maps [Cache Maps in Background] of your flying area. That will need to be set up using WiFi before you head off to your flying site ...

Correct me if I’m wrong, you don’t need the maps to fly, I never have a cached map on my screen but use the map screen (with no map) to see where my drone is.;)

Correct me if I’m wrong, you don’t need the maps to fly, I never have a cached map on my screen but use the map screen (with no map) to see where my drone is.;)
Some users like the map display but it's completely unnecessary.
I find the radar display much more useful.
If you want maps it's easy to cache them so they are available wherever you fly.

Some users like the map display but it's completely unnecessary.
I find the radar display much more useful.
If you want maps it's easy to cache them so they are available wherever you fly.

Nah the maps I never use, i use the radar thingy same as you. Once I’m home the map auto update so then I know where I’ve flown.;)

Maps can be useful if you have a fly-away or crash, and need to know where to pick up the pieces!
One of those, you don't need it 'till you need it! things ...

I think DJI says "required" only because it DOES limit SOME of the functions without a connection.
whether those functions are necessary for the flight or not is another discussion.
80% of my flights lately are done with an ipad air 1 with NO gps or cellular.
I just make sure everything is up to date at home connected to WiFi before I go out to fly.

Hi,
No it's not required for flying. I use a dedicated mobile phone with no sim card inside.
It's mandatory to have internet availability when activating the Mavic (done only once) and upgrading the no-fly zones and firmware.
Thank you for your response. The phone I intend to use also has no sim.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78