DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More about Gatwick Airport Terrorists

More likely is that in the hour between your miss-quoted post and his rebuttal he was able to Google the article and correct you!

Seems to me that by deliberately miss-quoting you are either looking to further your own agenda or spoiling for a fight.

But I'm just a guy that has mostly been watching and reading from the side lines.
Cheers

I had read the article previously, but I did go back to check. In light of the admission that LE were flying quads I think it's quite possible that the drone videoed was one of theirs, but I'm not aware that anyone has issued a statement on that.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I unreservedly apologise to sar104. And anyone else I had offended. I was in a ratty mood because I’d suddenly been called out to cover for someone and it was my day off. It was wrong of me to take it out on anyone, I had mis-quoted due to my ratty mood, and it was entirely wrong of me to have done it.
It has made me no better than the trolls which I despise, especially on a club site which is primarily there to help and assist each other, and to have open honest sensible chat and debate all drone issues. I hope sar104 will accept my unreserved apology that is heartfelt.

I unreservedly apologise to sar104. And anyone else I had offended. I was in a ratty mood because I’d suddenly been called out to cover for someone and it was my day off. It was wrong of me to take it out on anyone, I had mis-quoted due to my ratty mood, and it was entirely wrong of me to have done it.
It has made me no better than the trolls which I despise, especially on a club site which is primarily there to help and assist each other, and to have open honest sensible chat and debate all drone issues. I hope sar104 will accept my unreserved apology that is heartfelt.

Well, we all have bad days - sorry to hear about yours. Consider it forgotten.

Well, we all have bad days - sorry to hear about yours. Consider it forgotten.

Thank you, it was most out of character and I will delete the offending post because it teaches us nothing about drones and doesn’t add anything meaningfull to this great debate on this excellent forum.

Reactions: Canuk and Bwoody321
Now if you are a good conspiracy theorist you will ignore this and move on to something else; how do we know it was not a UFO comes to mind.

UFO stands for unidentifiable flying object. Since we cannot seem to determine what kind of drone this was, whether there was a drone at all, or accept any evidence as real, I would say that the “drones” at gatwick were UFOs

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Oh well now they are saying the police to be stricter if they see a drone flying, with on-the-spot fines. I don't know if the source is true but it is very likely.
What didn't bother them is now in their minds, even if you were flying within the rules any irrational officer may see you as a threat.
How would one convince he is not breaking any laws.
I fly in a park, there's a road that goes through and I'm well far from it and people but few times I've seen police cars drive through I never had a problem. I wonder how they'd react now.

On the spot fines?? Does that mean for illegal or legal use of drones? Any idea how much it would be?

Reactions: 4wd
I think there is no doubt it’s a drone.

If you think about it, no one is going to take footage of a chopper at an airport (ie a normal event) on their ph and make comments such as ‘its over your head’.

Re date/time stamp, I don’t know anyone who marks their ph vids with date/time stamps. Law enforcement do for obvious reasons but joe average doesn’t want his vid covered in metadata

Who knows if it’s the same incident date but I’d be surprised if it was different and not reported. Its highly likely that it is a drone over an airport, irrespective of time/date

What does surprise me is that the police have downplayed it. Why? It is very possible the vid was sold to the media and the police aren’t even aware of it. (I always take photos with the possibility of it resulting in a sale – and often when media are involved, it’s a bidding war – police don’t pay for photos/videos)

Eventually the truth will come out but I don’t understand why they dismissed it. I think that there are other forces at play and they don’t want to show their hand

There were many reports of drone sightings and they should be fully investigated but police hierarchy has obviously been directed from political masters to cease work. Remember the police can only do as they are directed by their bosses

But in the meantime, those who wish to do us harm now have a simple new method that they probably haven’t thought of before.

There will be lots more drone ‘attacks’ in future and eventually one will bring down a passenger aircraft. Its just a matter of time.

anyway, back to our dull lives until some catastrophe takes place - then we will say i told you so

Don’t iPhones keep the date of your photo/video anyways?

On the spot fines?? Does that mean for illegal or legal use of drones? Any idea how much it would be?

Could be a problem with that because the average policeman hasn’t a clue about air laws and how can he prove you were, say, at 500ft without calibrated equipment, he can’t ask to see yours and it’s not calibrated anyway.

Reactions: Bwoody321
Could be a problem with that because the average policeman hasn’t a clue about air laws and how can he prove you were, say, at 500ft without calibrated equipment, he can’t ask to see yours and it’s not calibrated anyway.

The government needs to start educating police about air laws then. It’s not our fault

The government needs to start educating police about air laws then. It’s not our fault

Very true. I suppose it’s like the internet, or any new technology for that matter. The law seems to be on catchup and I dare say there will be a few ‘test cases’ brought before the courts. Our hobby seems to be evolving all the time, and so fast, it’s a shame that it has been linked with a criminal element or the criminals have latched onto the possibilities so quickly. I’m referring to those that try to drop contraband into prisons or disrupt lives such as at Gatwick. I suppose it was the same when the automobile was invented, a whole book of laws was needed and the criminal element put automobiles to use.

Last edited:
Very true. I suppose it’s like the internet, or any new technology for that matter. The law seems to be on catchup and I dare say there will be a few ‘test cases’ brought before the courts. Our hobby seems to be evolving all the time, and so fast, it’s a shame that it has been linked with a criminal element or the criminals have latched onto the possibilities so quickly. I’m referring to those that try to drop contraband into prisons or disrupt lives such as at Gatwick. I suppose it was the same when the automobile was invented, a whole book of laws was needed and the criminal element put automobiles to use.

Well said. However tough it may be, eventually we will pull through

I’m going to ‘butt out’ of this for a while guys, I’m feeling pretty bad about something I said in a post about a member whom respect and his views and opinions I respect. I’m not in a good place at the moment about it, it was unlike me and I’m struggling with it. Thanks guys, A very Happy New Year to all of you and to those you hold close to your heart.

I’m going to ‘butt out’ of this for a while guys, I’m feeling pretty bad about something I said in a post about a member whom respect and his views and opinions I respect. I’m not in a good place at the moment about it, it was unlike me and I’m struggling with it. Thanks guys, A very Happy New Year to all of you and to those you hold close to your heart.

Please don't dwell on it. Happy New Year.

Rest assured that whatever problems stand in the way of the police and other relevant authorities issuing fines for illegal drone operations will be solved before you can say, "Hey look, that's a drone hovering outside my window!".

The following article covers the current state of play in Australia:-

Australia’s Civil Aviation Authority Confirms Roll Out Of Counter Drone Measures

Rest assured that whatever problems stand in the way of the police and other relevant authorities issuing fines for illegal drone operations will be solved before you can say, "Hey look, that's a drone hovering outside my window!".

The following article covers the current state of play in Australia:-

Australia’s Civil Aviation Authority Confirms Roll Out Of Counter Drone Measures

Hope so. I think as long as we don’t get more “incidents” like Gatwick then we should be ok in the next year or so

Hope so. I think as long as we don’t get more “incidents” like Gatwick then we should be ok in the next year or so

I hope you're right but I think the horse has already bolted. There have been too many incidents in the recent past and, as the proliferation of drones increases, so too is the rate of illegal drone-related activities.

Add to that all of the photos on Instagram clearly indicating flying over people and at altitudes well above 400 feet - not to mention the Moron minority who come on here and other forums boasting about how they'll fly anywhere they d@mn well like regardless of any rules.

Given all of the above, what would you do if you were the chairperson of the board that decides on the next round of FAA / CASA / CAA etc regulations pertaining to recreational drone operations?

I hope you're right but I think the horse has already bolted. There have been too many incidents in the recent past and, as the proliferation of drones increases, so too is the rate of illegal drone-related activities.

Add to that all of the photos on Instagram clearly indicating flying over people and at altitudes well above 400 feet - not to mention the Moron minority who come on here and other forums boasting about how they'll fly anywhere they d@mn well like regardless of any rules.

Given all of the above, what would you do if you were the chairperson of the board that decides on the next round of FAA / CASA / CAA etc regulations pertaining to recreational drone operations?

[emoji23] Good question. I don’t know to be honest. I would probably encourage the government to educate policemen more as I said before, help to make the public more aware of drones and the rules behind them, and introduce online registration/GPS tracking maybe

and introduce online registration/GPS tracking maybe
Online registration GPS tracking... LOL! That will make no difference whatsoever. The only people that will bother to register will be the law abiding majority. And those people will fly their drones according to the rules/laws anyway. Those intending to use a drone for any other purpose, will simply not register. So whilst the worlds different aviation authorities sit in their meetings dreaming up other ways to regulate the s**t out of drone users and probably make a good few £'s/$'s in the process, they can rest assured all their efforts will come to nothing if they think it'll stop the illegal use of drones or stop drones flying in restricted airspace. The only people that will be affected will be the law abiding majority who will have to jump through hoops if they want to fly and have to pay through the nose for the privilege....

Happy new year!

Online registration GPS tracking... LOL! That will make no difference whatsoever. The only people that will bother to register will be the law abiding majority. And those people will fly their drones according to the rules/laws anyway. Those intending to use a drone for any other purpose, will simply not register. So whilst the worlds different aviation authorities sit in their meetings dreaming up other ways to regulate the s**t out of drone users and probably make a good few £'s/$'s in the process, they can rest assured all their efforts will come to nothing if they think it'll stop the illegal use of drones or stop drones flying in restricted airspace. The only people that will be affected will be the law abiding majority who will have to jump through hoops if they want to fly and have to pay through the nose for the privilege....

Happy new year!
From a practical point of view, with the deployment of drone detection systems (and it's time to buy shares in those companies if you haven't already!), it will mean that if you put your unregistered Drone up in an area that's anywhere near 'sensitive' - you'll soon be tapped on the shoulder.
The UK CAA has not yet set a price for drone/operator registration for recreational use. We are told that will be coming in next November. One thing that I can see coming though, is a surcharge or tax element placed on Drone registration, to 'compensate' agencies who have to get anti-drone systems installed ... Not been mentioned yet, but I'm sure that soon, somebody is going to stand up and say "I wouldn't have to spend all this money on these systems if it weren't for those Drone people! Give us some of the licensing fees ..."

From a practical point of view, with the deployment of drone detection systems (and it's time to buy shares in those companies if you haven't already!), it will mean that if you put your unregistered Drone up in an area that's anywhere near 'sensitive' - you'll soon be tapped on the shoulder.
Exactly, so why bother with registration? Looking at buying those shares right now:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett