DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Most desirable new feature

minipilotmda

Reactions
I would love to know what features advanced (any drone ability level) drone enthusiasts are looking forward to on the next big drone leap forward? For me, I would love to see DJi adopt the hot swap batteries. Sound crazy? Tell me what you think.

For a moment let's assume everyone votes for SDK and real waypoints and go from there. I would like a true zoom lens. Next I'd like an end to the hassle of getting DJI's permission to fly. Lastly I wouldn't mind an 8K camera.

For a moment let's assume everyone votes for SDK and real waypoints and go from there. I would like a true zoom lens. Next I'd like an end to the hassle of getting DJI's permission to fly. Lastly I wouldn't mind an 8K camera.
All excellent ideas. I love the DJi permissionless flying but I fear those days are gone.

I'm fairly confident my next drone will be an Autel if they don't do the restricted zones as I understand is the case. Yesterday I flew with DJI permisions in an area. Landed. Turned off the drone. Decided to continue and for the life of me could not get it to accept the permissions to fly again. I ended up leaving and that's not the first time it has happened. I live in an area that requires permission to fly and I have applied and received permission for a 3month period with a limited ceiling but I still never know when I will have to spend 15 or 20 minutes fighting and resetting the permissions. It is the greatest hindrance to me enjoying my various DJI drones.

I'm fairly confident my next drone will be an Autel if they don't do the restricted zones as I understand is the case. Yesterday I flew with DJI permisions in an area. Landed. Turned off the drone. Decided to continue and for the life of me could not get it to accept the permissions to fly again. I ended up leaving and that's not the first time it has happened. I live in an area that requires permission to fly and I have applied and received permission for a 3month period with a limited ceiling but I still never know when I will have to spend 15 or 20 minutes fighting and resetting the permissions. It is the greatest hindrance to me enjoying my various DJI drones.
I feel your pain. Although I love my DJI Equipment (four drones), I have had that happen to me many times. Got the Evo Lite Plus and find myself using it as my primary drone. I still go through all the clearances but don't have to get a custom unlock and no worries about not getting to do a second flight (after a battery change).

I personally think that we will never see the restrictions disappear . I hate them with a passion. Everywhere in the city that I fly it is restricted airspace. So I have to get clearance to fly all the time. It is annoying. But why would they remove this? We keep buying their drones in large numbers and they think it's ok to put this technology into the drones. I am guilty of this myself. Something I would like to see is a 8K camera in the drone, something that can handle stronger winds, and strobes built in. I know I might be dreaming on these.

I'd like to see 4G cellular built in to DJI drones and not an external device. And hopefully UAS will become so ubiquitous that the FAA will drop the VLOS rule. I won't hold my breath.

I'd like a range finder built in so I know how far away an object is but I realize that's asking alot. (Matrice has it)

Hot swapable batteries would be cool though. Could be achieved with a small internal cell that keeps the drone powered for ~30 sec while swapping the battery.

Last edited:
In no particular order, and including things that I'd like t see now in the DJI Fly app, and including things bigger drones already have, but would be good to see in a mini 3 type drone.

1) Fix the direction of the gimbal tilt wheel, which is backwards... Or at the very least adding a software switch in DJI fly so that you can reverse the direction.

2) Waypoints would be nice.

3) A "hand catch" mode, that temporarily disables the LiDAR so you can just grab the drone without it freaking out.

4) a place to put a sim card in the DJI RC for mobile data

5) Anti-collision lights built-in, and controllable from the RC/DJI Fly app... in a mini

6) Adjustable aperture for the camera.

7) Record straight to ProRes 10bit, and HDR to 12bit.

.... And a "remote home" feature, where under certain conditions you could send the drone to a predetermined safe remote location to land for later retrieval... as in....

"...oh hi Mr. park ranger person sir, I was just watching the nature channel on this here, uh, this is just my personal satellite TV thingy, it's not at all a remote control, why would you think that?…

(meanwhile holding in C1 and C2 to activate remote-home landing LOL)

Someone mentioned range finder, but what I would like is a rangefinder to indicate elevation (AGL) for more than the 20’ or so when landing. When flying over slopes terrain a distance like a 1/4 mile away it is very challenging to maintain a fixed clearance to the ground especially on terrain with trees.

1) Fix the direction of the gimbal tilt wheel, which is backwards... Or at the very least adding a software switch in DJI fly so that you can reverse the direction.
How about rotating the wheel axis 90 degrees, so that the gimbal follows the wheel rotation (hope my meaning is clear; I see it in my mind, but don’t know how to describe better)

I personally think that we will never see the restrictions disappear . I hate them with a passion. Everywhere in the city that I fly it is restricted airspace. So I have to get clearance to fly all the time. It is annoying. But why would they remove this? We keep buying their drones in large numbers and they think it's ok to put this technology into the drones. I am guilty of this myself. Something I would like to see is a 8K camera in the drone, something that can handle stronger winds, and strobes built in. I know I might be dreaming on these.
Another factor is the very small minority who continually exceed the bounds of common sense and regulatory lines.

Last edited:
AKDrone, you hit my list. Only thing I would add is built in strobes and hot-swappable batteries.

Someone mentioned range finder, but what I would like is a rangefinder to indicate elevation (AGL) for more than the 20’ or so when landing. When flying over slopes terrain a distance like a 1/4 mile away it is very challenging to maintain a fixed clearance to the ground especially on terrain with trees.
A true barometric altimeter would be nice. Everything's a compromise between cost, weight, user friendliness, etc. For consumer drones though GPS telemetry is "good enough" for most applications.

Last edited:
A true barometric altimeter would be nice. Everything's a compromise between cost, weight, user friendliness, etc. For consumer drones though GPS telemetry is "good enough" for most applications.
It IS a barometric altimeter. It zeros at startup.

Reactions: KD2SSP
I agree with many of the above, but the built-in strobes and waypoints are realistic and probably doable with minimal added cost. I’d also like to see the zoom feature in photo mode, as opposed to only video mode on the Air2S.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky