DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motion blur

cweam

Reactions
Why would anyone want to add motion blur in the videos? I looked at a demo and didn't like the look of the blurred image. There must be a reason for doing it.

Here's another explanation with demos:

rehkram,

Thanks for linking to that video and kudos to the Drone Film Guide people. After watching it, I finally understand why drone pilots use ND filters so much. I'm newish to drones, but have a background in photography, film, and video for sale and broadcast--disciplines in which I used ND filters only rarely. Before seeing this tutorial, the widespread use of ND filters with drones puzzled me--an ignorance I knew I needed to correct. The video you linked to corrected it very efficiently.

So again, Rehkram, thanks for sharing this eye-opening video.

--Jubjub Bird

Last edited:
Why would anyone want to add motion blur in the videos? I looked at a demo and didn't like the look of the blurred image. There must be a reason for doing it.
For most drone videos, there's no need at all as it's rare to have prominent movement close to the camera as shown in post #5.
If you moving subjects are prominent, you could add or not add movement blur depending on what looks good to you or what effect you want to create.

It is all an issue of taste. In the 4 years of flying various DJI drones I have never chosen to incur motion blur. Normal flight height makes motion blur irrelevant, as there is no object close enough to blur at normal shutter speeds, and when I have been working close to something in bright sun, have never noticed any strobing, which would be the only reason to want motion blurring.

I fly the MM low, <= 15 feet, a lot, and often fast. With the stable high pressure system over central NY right now and insanely bright days I'm getting a lot of flicker on the ground in the lower half of the frame. This is due to the insanely high shutter speed, needed to avoid over exposure, freezing-in way too much detail.

Time for me to bite the bullet and get a set of ND filters.

Last edited:
Yup, That will do it. Bright sunlight and clear skys will get you up to 1/1000 or more.

Motion blur makes perceived movement seem natural and smooth, unless you use high frame rates with no motion blur a walking subject (as an example) would have rather jerky movement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78