DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MOTOR SPEED ERROR MAVIC MINI

I "FIX IT".

Guys I updated today my MM and I was surprised by the left rear engine problem after a few minutes of flight, I made several attempts and in all of them I had the same error however I made an interesting experiment, I exchanged the left rear propellers for the upper right ones (same type) and the error is gone.

One thing that is true is that those propellers (the ones from the original problem) actually look a little more bent than normal (I never crashed, but it has been saved for at least a month). Surely this new update detects the slightest change and for some other reason, the rear propellers are more susceptible than the front ones.
Can you tell us if you normally store the folded Mavic Mini in the Fly More case? And when it's in the case, do you have the prop's on the rear motors folded east-west across the Mavic so that they sit free in the cut-out in the case? Or - do you think that when you put the Mavic into the case, the props are angled back toward the rear of the drone, and get compressed between the drone and the case??
What you have described is a common fix (i.e. replace your propellers), but it would be great to confirm what is causing the distortion of the props in the first place ...

Ok, Just started to build faith in flying my Mini farther and higher as I am a new pilot (3weeks) and now this motor error stuff, happened two times in a row tonight , she's grounded till someone (DJI)figures this out .
It’s scary I know call it a health fear but just fly it. I went threw the same panics as you . If preflight is all good and your in a safe rerun to home location you will be 100 ? fine. Trust

I have a fly more case and have been paranoid about handling and storing my mini as I always suspected it wouldn't take much to deform the blades. When I seen people putting the mini in a pocket or bag with the props swinging wildly I cringed. So far *knock on wood* i haven't had any uncommanded decents or motor speed errors after many flights.

Same time my wifi connegtion is very poor only 500m and connegtion lost
DONT UPPDATE FIRMWARE

Hey, so I've just had the exact same issue as many people on this thread......no issues before the firmware update....I update the firmware......I get the motor error....its the back left motor....... I replaced the blades..... then when I went to take off again using the app take off button the back left motor didn't seem to produce the same power as the other three and the drone shot into a bush and ripped up all the blades on the Mini. I'm glad it was just a bush and not into someone, could have cased a real injury. I'm now having to report this to DJI, has anyone else also reported this to them and what was the response?

just to note, I've stored my drone in the magic mini case when not used but I can't believe the case would be causing the issue. If it is, why did the last firmware not flag it.

I've really lost my confidence in DJI after this incident.

Update on my motor speed error;
As many suggested, I downloaded the DJI Assistant 2 program to my PC. I connected the MM to it and it immediately reported that there was an update available for it. The "refresh" option was not available so that tells me that the update that was done via the DJI Fly App on my phone did not work even though it said the update was successful.

After the update via DJI Assistant 2 was complete, I made a couple flights with no reported motor speed errors.

It appears that when the update is supervised by the DJI Fly App on your phone....it may work or it may not. I wouldn't be surprised that it is a compatibility issue with particular make/models of phones as some folks report that things worked just fine and others like me got the motor speed error. My phone is a Samsung S9...it runs the DJI Fly App when doing just that....flying. Running updates on it....not so sure now??

Just my opinion on the issue. I am not a drone expert....but I have stayed in a Holiday Express a couple of times!! ;-)

Update on my motor speed error;
As many suggested, I downloaded the DJI Assistant 2 program to my PC. I connected the MM to it and it immediately reported that there was an update available for it. The "refresh" option was not available so that tells me that the update that was done via the DJI Fly App on my phone did not work even though it said the update was successful.

After the update via DJI Assistant 2 was complete, I made a couple flights with no reported motor speed errors.

It appears that when the update is supervised by the DJI Fly App on your phone....it may work or it may not. I wouldn't be surprised that it is a compatibility issue with particular make/models of phones as some folks report that things worked just fine and others like me got the motor speed error. My phone is a Samsung S9...it runs the DJI Fly App when doing just that....flying. Running updates on it....not so sure now??

Just my opinion on the issue. I am not a drone expert....but I have stayed in a Holiday Express a couple of times!! ;-)

The motor speed warning is new in the 0500 FW, so if you were getting that warning then you were on 0500, and the previous update was successful.

The motor speed warning is new in the 0500 FW, so if you were getting that warning then you were on 0500, and the previous update was successful.
As I stated, I did the 0500 update through the DJI Fly App and started getting the motor speed error immediately after that. If that update was totally successful then why didn't the DJI Assistant 2 offer me to refresh the 0500 update? It instead only gave me the only option to download and install the update.

When I hook the drone up to the DJI Assistant 2 now I do get the option to refresh it. In my opinion the DJI Fly App reported that it successfully installed 0500 but in actuality it left the drone somewhere in firmware limbo...thus the motor speed error.

All is working fine now after the DJI Assistant 2 closed up the wound on the patient.....and I am happy!!

As I stated, I did the 0500 update through the DJI Fly App and started getting the motor speed error immediately after that. If that update was totally successful then why didn't the DJI Assistant 2 offer me to refresh the 0500 update? It instead only gave me the only option to download and install the update.

When I hook the drone up to the DJI Assistant 2 now I do get the option to refresh it. In my opinion the DJI Fly App reported that it successfully installed 0500 but in actuality it left the drone somewhere in firmware limbo...thus the motor speed error.

All is working fine now after the DJI Assistant 2 closed up the wound on the patient.....and I am happy!!

That seems highly unlikely, especially since the DJI Fly app reported a successful update. The motor error is a specific warning that was added in 0500 and is in the release notes. I have no idea why you didn't see a refresh option the first time, but why would you regard that as the definitive indicator when DJI Assistant 2 actually notes which firmware is running on the aircraft when you connect it.

I "FIX IT".

Guys I updated today my MM and I was surprised by the left rear engine problem after a few minutes of flight, I made several attempts and in all of them I had the same error however I made an interesting experiment, I exchanged the left rear propellers for the upper right ones (same type) and the error is gone.

One thing that is true is that those propellers (the ones from the original problem) actually look a little more bent than normal (I never crashed, but it has been saved for at least a month). Surely this new update detects the slightest change and for some other reason, the rear propellers are more susceptible than the front ones.

I tried the same thing. I replaced the switched the beeping props from rear left with front right. Then I got motor speed error, and beeping from front right.

So then I opened up one of the spare prop packages and replaced those.

Motor speed error is gone.

I'd like DJI to send me a new set of props now though. I've only had this thing for 2 weeks!

Glad i can fly with confidence again :)

That seems highly unlikely, especially since the DJI Fly app reported a successful update. The motor error is a specific warning that was added in 0500 and is in the release notes. I have no idea why you didn't see a refresh option the first time, but why would you regard that as the definitive indicator when DJI Assistant 2 actually notes which firmware is running on the aircraft when you connect it.
The DJI Fly App seemed to think that it successfully done its job with doing the update and reported as such. The 0500 was in there as evidenced by the added camera functions were in the menu. As with you, I have no idea why the Assistant 2 program acted as if the update never took place. When it supervised the update all worked during the process and the drone flew with zero errors. The Fly App in my mind has a bug in it performing the update routine....is it phone specific....does the Fly App and Assistant 2 pull the update from the same server.....?? There could be a host of reasons why what is supposed to be the same is different.

Same here, upgraded the firmware to 1.00.500. Had the motor error. Right prop error. Replaced and error gone.

I checked all of my props replacement kit. None of them all labelled G1 (its all A4,B4,C4, etc).

Could this be a clue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Hey, so I've just had the exact same issue as many people on this thread......no issues before the firmware update....I update the firmware......I get the motor error....its the back left motor....... I replaced the blades..... then when I went to take off again using the app take off button the back left motor didn't seem to produce the same power as the other three and the drone shot into a bush and ripped up all the blades on the Mini. I'm glad it was just a bush and not into someone, could have cased a real injury. I'm now having to report this to DJI, has anyone else also reported this to them and what was the response?

just to note, I've stored my drone in the magic mini case when not used but I can't believe the case would be causing the issue. If it is, why did the last firmware not flag it.

I've really lost my confidence in DJI after this incident.
See my post on page 5 post #97. I’ve attached the reply from DJI in that post.

I reported my experience with the error to DJI, and indicated having owned the MM for a week before taking the FW update, followed by the error. They responded within a day, and offered to send me replacement props.

Definitely pleased with their support.

I reported my experience with the error to DJI, and indicated having owned the MM for a week before taking the FW update, followed by the error. They responded within a day, and offered to send me replacement props.

Definitely pleased with their support.
Interesting that I was not given that offer. ?

Adding my two cents to this thread.

I bought the mini over two weeks ago and have about a dozen flights with no issue.

Yesterday updated the firmware to 0500 and within seconds on the first flight had the motor speed error with it being the left rear motor as others have experienced. It happens within 30 seconds on every flight.

I checked the props and they all have a different code as follows.

Front left - G3
Front rigt - F4
Rear left - F3
Rear right - G1

I have not tried replacing the prop yet as am away from home so dont know what codes the replacement ones have but will update after replacing and further testing.

Just swapped front right prop blades with rear left and this seems to have resolved the issue.

Flew two lipos each for about 20 minutes and there was no recurrence of the motor speed error. I was using sport mode will full stick deflections and rapid direction changes. Seems ok for now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J