DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountain Top Landing

Au contraire. To "power it down," just remotely turn off the motors after landing.
You don't want to turn the battery off.
Remotely restarting the motors then resets the altitude to zero, and sets a new HP.
That's how we have been suggesting mountain climbing above 500m with a Mavic 2.
You need an interim landing spot that still retains full RC control.
Mini may be different.
Interesting. Not clear on what is incorrect in my post. Don’t the motors power down automatically after landing? Please explain how completely power off the drone at distance when you can’t touch it. Thanks.
Note this post... and the like you gave.

I'm not sure. I have mavic 2 pro and I think I did it. But I turned landing protection off, maybe that help. And I always fly manually....
So I landed and the motors kept on spinning, you just have to cancel the landing in the right moment.

But anyway, you could just hover there and set a new home point, what avoht that?!
The point is to NOT reset HP after landing. If the motors shut off, then HP is set on full takeoff. If the motors stay idle, then liftoff is not considered a full takeoff and HP stays as is.
Turning off landing protection might do it.

Resetting the home point won't reset your home altitude.
Stopping the motors and restarting the drone records a new home point and resets the homepoint height to zero.
Not sure what you mean by HP altitude, but if you mean the altitude the AC goes up to on engaging RTH, that never automatically changes. It remains to what you last manually set it to. If you try to view the setting while the AC is not connected, then it will not show the correct setting.

The app for the Mini on first release could set the altitude, but could not retrieve and show the set altitude even though it was correct. I think that was with the Android.

Not sure what you mean by HP altitude, but if you mean the altitude the AC goes up to on engaging RTH, that never automatically changes. It remains to what you last manually set it to. If you try to view the setting while the AC is not connected, then it will not show the correct setting.
What I meant is perfectly clear. I said nothing at all about the set RTH height.

Interesting. Not clear on what is incorrect in my post. Don’t the motors power down automatically after landing? Please explain how completely power off the drone at distance when you can’t touch it. Thanks.
Note this post... and the like you gave.
I think we are both trying to say the same thing. The problem was the use of the term "power it down" which I believe Meta4 used for only turning off the motors, but others incorrectly interpreted it as meaning shutting off the battery instead. We both worked on this collaboratively before, so you could use the technique to climb higher than 500m, and it appears you have found it works on the Mavic 2! Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
the mini must be totally different from an Air. When the air lands the props will stop. When you take of it almost immediately records a new home point, this is because it already had good GPS loc when it landed . The RTH alt stays at what ever you had it set at it does not go back to zero.
I can't see why the mini would go back to zero. This to me is a dangerous feature. Like you have to remember every time you land to go into your settings and reset your RTH height. Just doesn't seem reasonable and could cause a lot of crashes.

the mini must be totally different from an Air. When the air lands the props will stop. When you take of it almost immediately records a new home point, this is because it already had good GPS loc when it landed . The RTH alt stays at what ever you had it set at it does not go back to zero.
I can't see why the mini would go back to zero. This to me is a dangerous feature. Like you have to remember every time you land to go into your settings and reset your RTH height. Just doesn't seem reasonable and could cause a lot of crashes.
RTH height is not reset to zero when the motors are rearmed after landing. The base altitude from which it is calculated, however, is reset to zero, as is base reference used for the max height calculation of 500m. This allows one to mountain climb by serially landing and letting it reset to zero each time, as long as you have clear LOS for full RC control at each landing spot.

Reactions: Thomas B
RTH height is not reset to zero when the motors are rearmed after landing. The base altitude from which it is calculated, however, is reset to zero, as is base reference used for the max height calculation of 500m. This allows one to mountain climb by serially landing and letting it reset to zero each time, as long as you have clear LOS for full RC control at each landing spot.
Thanks for the clarification

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78