DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP2 Remote vs Display

yjt0189

Reactions
I am new to this but wondering why & how to change the display... my Remote lists Height then Distance, but when i look at my display it is opposite - it shows them as Distance and then Height ! How can i change this to match? Any Help here?
vV6B8gpNSgqagtDp5ldXxA.jpg

Reactions: Brockrock
why does it matter just use the display and you wont have any issues the way i have my ipad mounted i cant even see the display

IT MATTERS.

Consistent UI is fairly important. If this happened in the cockpit of a passenger airline, designers would be SO fired.

Reliable consistency is important in controls, the kind of thing that a pilot just glances at. If you're used to one, but in a moment of rapid decision making, your eyes glance at the other, then we all of the sudden have this second layer of decision making: "Wait, is this one backwards?". It's doubt. It's indecision. It's more time added to to the final outcome and that could be fatal.

Let us also not forget that we're supposed to be able to fly these without software and our devices, controller only. And we can. In such a case, I would prefer that the controller had the same orientation that the software did.

No, your drone doesn't carry passengers, but it could cause a crash just the same.

To the OP: as far as I know, there's no way to change it, but DJI should certainly hear about it. And change it. I would call this a priority critical design change request.

QUESTION: I just noticed that you seem to be in a tutorial mode (or whatever it's called). Have you verified to see if the left/right orientation is switched in the live DJ Go?

Chris

IT MATTERS.

Consistent UI is fairly important. If this happened in the cockpit of a passenger airline, designers would be SO fired.

Reliable consistency is important in controls, the kind of thing that a pilot just glances at. If you're used to one, but in a moment of rapid decision making, your eyes glance at the other, then we all of the sudden have this second layer of decision making: "Wait, is this one backwards?". It's doubt. It's indecision. It's more time added to to the final outcome and that could be fatal.

Let us also not forget that we're supposed to be able to fly these without software and our devices, controller only. And we can. In such a case, I would prefer that the controller had the same orientation that the software did.

No, your drone doesn't carry passengers, but it could cause a crash just the same.

To the OP: as far as I know, there's no way to change it, but DJI should certainly hear about it. And change it. I would call this a priority critical design change request.

QUESTION: I just noticed that you seem to be in a tutorial mode (or whatever it's called). Have you verified to see if the left/right orientation is switched in the live DJ Go?

Chris
i can understand you that it would be better if the displays are the same,but my point was that i dont use both displays at the same time, as i cant see them both with the set up i use and if you were flying with the controller only then you would be using the display on the controller which is different from the app anyway

i can understand you that it would be better if the displays are the same,but my point was that i dont use both displays at the same time, as i cant see them both with the set up i use

Then it doesn't matter ... to you. I too cannot see the remote display under my large tablet, unless I try hard (tip the entire package so I can see over the top).

But some people operate with a normal, to-spec phone (160mm) and can see both displays at virtually the same time.

and if you were flying with the controller only then you would be using the display on the controller which is different from the app anyway

I don't have time to get deep into this, but you should maybe read up on human user centered design.

The upshot, as it relates to this conversation, is that a human can be conditioned to use controls on reflex. Reflexive response means that they can glance at the position of familiar controls in an instant and should be able to accurately read them, without looking at corresponding numbers or labels.

Heck, some controls should be consistent by feel without even having to look at anything.

So labels don't mean squat. If a plane crashes, the manufacture isn't going to get far with "The pilot looked at the wrong readout? Yes, it's true that the field changes locations dynamically, but it's CLEARLY LABELLED!

(Non-aircraft related anecdotal example): I get this on my phones timer/alarm. In timer mode, the big ORANGE button means 'Turn Off Alarm'. But in alarm mode, the big ORANGE button means 'Snooze'. There is still a 'Turn Off Alarm' button, but it's now BLACK and is in a completely different location.

I've talked two user design professionals about that and they say "Of course, the big ORANGE button changes function based on the alarm/timer mode". I disagree and continue to hit the 'Snooze' button when I mean to turn it off.

I hope those two (as well as the Apple ) designers don't move into the aerospace field.

Chris

Reactions: old man mavic
I appreciate the replies and perspectives. I was more in the Chris camp on consistency & redundancies. Since I'm new, i use the Beginner mode (only flew once so far) and use an iPhone which is small and right below the remote. It did throw me off. As i was worried about any disconnect or iPhone errors, it was worrisome. Seems simple to have the flow the same.
If anyone else who flies normal mode, Do you see the same thing?

I am new to this but wondering why & how to change the display... my Remote lists Height then Distance, but when i look at my display it is opposite - it shows them as Distance and then Height ! How can i change this to match? Any Help here?
View attachment 88017
Short answer: You can’t

Long answer: You could design and build your own app using the SDK and set up the hud how you want. The amount of time it would take isn’t worth it even if you have the requisite knowledge to do so and to make matters more difficult that “widget” which shows the height and distance on the screen isn’t easily manipulated in in that way. You’d be on your own coming up with code for that.

Short answer: You can’t

Long answer: You could design and build your own app using the SDK and set up the hud how you want. The amount of time it would take isn’t worth it even if you have the requisite knowledge to do so and to make matters more difficult that “widget” which shows the height and distance on the screen isn’t easily manipulated in in that way. You’d be on your own coming up with code for that.

It's not that hard. Dji has started to open source all widgets. They changed the order on the ux dashboard :) .

<dji.ux.beta.widget.compass.CompassWidget
android:id="@+id/widget_compass"
android:layout_width="wrap_content"
android:layout_height="0dp"
android:layout_marginStart="8dp"
android:layout_marginLeft="8dp"
android:background="@drawable/uxsdk_ic_dashboard_compass_background"
app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintEnd_toStartOf="@id/widget_altitude"
app:layout_constraintStart_toStartOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent" />

<dji.ux.beta.widget.altitude.AltitudeWidget
android:id="@+id/widget_altitude"
style="@style/UXSDKDashboardWidgetDefault"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
app:layout_constraintEnd_toStartOf="@id/widget_distance_home"
app:layout_constraintStart_toEndOf="@id/widget_compass" />

<dji.ux.beta.widget.distancehome.DistanceHomeWidget
android:id="@+id/widget_distance_home"
style="@style/UXSDKDashboardWidgetDefault"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
app:layout_constraintEnd_toStartOf="@id/widget_distance_rc"
app:layout_constraintStart_toEndOf="@id/widget_altitude" />

Just to show how thorough DJI is in their inconsistency; the Goggles have the same information positioned vertically on the left side with distance on top of height but below HS & VS.

Since everybody should be flying with eyeballs on the aircraft and VLOS this is all moot. The telemetry is for info only as any reactive flying/avoidance would be done by sight.

Did I miss something?

Reactions: old man mavic
View attachment 88017
What is the app in the picture I use DJI GO4app on my smart controller

i think it is the flight simulator could be wrong though

LoL

Dont really understand why you get so upset. Just live with it, you can't change it anyway.
I always see my copter and I don't need to no the height, what shall I do with that information???

It's not the REAL height anyway, it's just measured from the starting point, so if your area is not totally FLAT, those numbers are WRONG all the time!

The only correct numbers are if you see VPS, they appear around 10 metres above the ground. VPS is correct, because its measured by sensors.

All the other numbers are not reliable, so where is the point thinking about that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15