DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP4 vs MOV and H.264 vs H.265

We use the latest version of Premiere Pro in our office. I edit on a 2017 iMac, OS 10.13.6, 64GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 and I have no problems with the H.265 video I've been shooting on our new Mavic 2 Pro. In fact, it looks great and only needs to be rendered to play smoothly if I add an effect to it. Even with color grading alone, it plays fine. I've been editing video for over 30 years. I started with AVID at the beginning. Now, I can say that if you want a video to be a different format, you have to put into a conversion program like Adobe Media Encoder and render it out with a new compression on it. Just changing the extension won't change the video. However, we have found on Macs that if you change an extension from mp4 to mov, it generally plays better. smoother, no glitching.

Hi GadgetGuy, video recruit here, and I am also ferreting out how I should be recording video with the MA2. MOV, or MP4, H.265 or H.265, 1080P, or 4k. Computer/device wise, I live in the Apple ecosystem. My current system is a, 2020 Mac Mini, Core i5, 32GB Ram, and the prospects of purchasing an eGPU (Probably equipped with the Radeon RX 580).

I'm working with iMovie for starters. All of this video is pretty new to me as I've always been a photo hobbyist. Any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

Hi GadgetGuy, video recruit here, and I am also ferreting out how I should be recording video with the MA2. MOV, or MP4, H.265 or H.265, 1080P, or 4k. Computer/device wise, I live in the Apple ecosystem. My current system is a, 2020 Mac Mini, Core i5, 32GB Ram, and the prospects of purchasing an eGPU (Probably equipped with the Radeon RX 580).

I'm working with iMovie for starters. All of this video is pretty new to me as I've always been a photo hobbyist. Any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
As long as you stay away from H.265, and record in .MOV in H.264, you should have no issues. Only MA2 recording format that requires H.265 is 4K at 60fps. Shoot 4K at 30fps, if H.265 is a problem, and select H.264.

Reactions: kitsap2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31