DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPP Gimbal Flipping Around at Startup

Reactions
I am having a startup problem with my MPP Gimbal. When I start the drone, the gimbal does its normal start-up dance but then kicks fully up and down, hitting gimbal travel stops several times and then stopping while pointed in some odd direction (usually down). The DJI Fly app then shows the Gimbal Motor Overload error message. If I try to recalibrate the gimbal, it just sits at 5% forever. I have already replaced the gimbal and ribbon cable. Thinking of trying the Gimbal Controller Board next. Any suggestions?

A bit more background:
Gimbal problems started with a crash into tress. I replaced the gimbal and ribbon cable with a refurbished one from Amazon. Everything worked fine again for several months but started getting increasing gimbal issues with the gimbal either freezing while in flight. The gimbal problems kept getting worse and eventually I could not get more than a few minutes flight time before the gimbal froze. So I replaced the gimbal again, but got this problem. Returned that gimbal thinking it was the problem and got a different refurbished gimbal that came with a new ribbon cable but it does the same thing.

I am having a startup problem with my MPP Gimbal. When I start the drone, the gimbal does its normal start-up dance but then kicks fully up and down, hitting gimbal travel stops several times and then stopping while pointed in some odd direction (usually down). The DJI Fly app then shows the Gimbal Motor Overload error message. If I try to recalibrate the gimbal, it just sits at 5% forever. I have already replaced the gimbal and ribbon cable. Thinking of trying the Gimbal Controller Board next. Any suggestions?

A bit more background:
Gimbal problems started with a crash into tress. I replaced the gimbal and ribbon cable with a refurbished one from Amazon. Everything worked fine again for several months but started getting increasing gimbal issues with the gimbal either freezing while in flight. The gimbal problems kept getting worse and eventually I could not get more than a few minutes flight time before the gimbal froze. So I replaced the gimbal again, but got this problem. Returned that gimbal thinking it was the problem and got a different refurbished gimbal that came with a new ribbon cable but it does the same thing.

Bite the bullet and send it to DJI for repair.

the gimbal is a precision piece of equipment ,and any sort of crash can cause damage to the stepper motors and their pivot points ,when the gimbal does its start up dance, it is checking for any restrictions in any of those motors ,even just adding a ND filter can cause issues if it upsets the fine balance of the gimbal, its is also unfortunately the most expensive part of the drone to replace, based on how old your drone is, and the cost of a having it professionally replaced ,its decision time to repair it ,or replace it with a newer model

Agree that paying someone to fix it is likely money better spent replacing the drone. I found it odd that two replacement gimbals both had the same problem (which was different from the problem I was having with the first gimbal (also a replacement after the crash). Luckily I could return the first gimbal I tried. I was just hoping someone else had the same problem and knew what caused it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan