DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPP yaw motion 'hesitates' when releasing gimbal tilt control

GrizzlyAK

Reactions
My Mavic Platinum Pro video jumps at the end of a gimbal tilt (up or down) while also yawing, every time. You can see (and hear) the drone hesitate in its yaw action when this happens. Thought this was a gimbal issue, and had drone replaced with a new one. Same issue with brand new drone, but more experimentation showed that the drone actually hesitates during its yaw when gimbal tilt action ends on RC. Does not seem to be a faulty gimbal after all. You can replicate this at 4 feet altitude (and see/hear it) as shown in the following video (Password is mavicpro).

Private video on Vimeo

I've created a second video of the actual drone in flight to illustrate the issue described above. In this video you can clearly see and HEAR the drone freeze its YAW motion whenever the gimbal tilt control is returned to neutral. I show the drone in several configurations, as well as the actions being taken on the RC to make this happen. Basically, as described, I am only yawing in either direction, and tilting the gimbal up or down, and whenever I return the gimbal tilt control to neutral WHILE yawing, the drone hesitates it yaw motion. THIS is causing a jump in the image on any video taken under such control circumstances.

(Again, the password is mavicpro).

Private video on Vimeo

Can anyone else replicate this? This issue ruined a lot of my footage on a recent trip to Iceland, and even after receiving a brand new drone replacement, the issue still exists. I can't be this unlucky. It basically makes the Mavic Pro useless for serious cinematography (unless you don't need to yaw and tilt at the same time ).

The other possibility is perhaps the RC? Other than the FW, it is the only other common denominator between the two drones. Can the RC gimbal control be sending something that affects the yaw momentarily? As I mentioned, this only occurs when you END a gimbal tilt control movement WHILE yawing the aircraft.

1_2x.gif

My aircraft firmware is v01.04.0300 (with RC, batts, and Go4app at consistent level).

I notified DJI of the issues a few weeks ago and no response...
102_2x.gif

I assume you have tried to tweak the sensitivity and gimbal settings already within the app without any result? You can try wifi mode to rule out Remote issues perhaps.

I have tried tweaking the various settings as suggested, but have not tried WiFi mode to rule out the RC. Good call! Have never used WiFi mode, but will give that a try tonight.

I assume you have tried to tweak the sensitivity and gimbal settings already within the app without any result? You can try WiFi mode to rule out Remote issues perhaps.
So, I flew the drone tonight in WiFi mode and it does exhibit the same behavior as with the RC, so that seems to rule out the RC. However, it is not quite as pronounced because my yaw was extremely slow (compared to the RC) even with maximum deflection on the iPad screen control. Not sure what that's about.

I'm convinced that this is a problem in the flight control FW/SW, not a HW problem, since it has occurred with two separate drones.

My Mavic Platinum Pro video jumps at the end of a gimbal tilt (up or down) while also yawing, every time. You can see (and hear) the drone hesitate in its yaw action when this happens. Thought this was a gimbal issue, and had drone replaced with a new one. Same issue with brand new drone, but more experimentation showed that the drone actually hesitates during its yaw when gimbal tilt action ends on RC. Does not seem to be a faulty gimbal after all. You can replicate this at 4 feet altitude (and see/hear it) as shown in the following video (Password is mavicpro).

Private video on Vimeo

I've created a second video of the actual drone in flight to illustrate the issue described above. In this video you can clearly see and HEAR the drone freeze its YAW motion whenever the gimbal tilt control is returned to neutral. I show the drone in several configurations, as well as the actions being taken on the RC to make this happen. Basically, as described, I am only yawing in either direction, and tilting the gimbal up or down, and whenever I return the gimbal tilt control to neutral WHILE yawing, the drone hesitates it yaw motion. THIS is causing a jump in the image on any video taken under such control circumstances.

(Again, the password is mavicpro).

Private video on Vimeo

Can anyone else replicate this? This issue ruined a lot of my footage on a recent trip to Iceland, and even after receiving a brand new drone replacement, the issue still exists. I can't be this unlucky. It basically makes the Mavic Pro useless for serious cinematography (unless you don't need to yaw and tilt at the same time ).

The other possibility is perhaps the RC? Other than the FW, it is the only other common denominator between the two drones. Can the RC gimbal control be sending something that affects the yaw momentarily? As I mentioned, this only occurs when you END a gimbal tilt control movement WHILE yawing the aircraft.

1_2x.gif

My aircraft firmware is v01.04.0300 (with RC, batts, and Go4app at consistent level).

I notified DJI of the issues a few weeks ago and no response...
102_2x.gif
The issue is with the iOS version of DJI Go 4. It might happen with Android as well but I Don’t think so and I believe this is the reason this issue isn’t more pervasive.

Using literally any other app will fix the issue or if you use a really old version of DJI Go 4 the issue goes away. I am testing all the different versions to find out which one the issue first appears but so far it is not an issue in DJI Go 4 4.0.0 or DJI Go 4 4.0.1.

It is not a firmware or hardware issue.

Reactions: GrizzlyAK
The issue is with the iOS version of DJI Go 4. It might happen with Android as well but I Don’t think so and I believe this is the reason this issue isn’t more pervasive.

Using literally any other app will fix the issue or if you use a really old version of DJI Go 4 the issue goes away. I am testing all the different versions to find out which one the issue first appears but so far it is not an issue in DJI Go 4 4.0.0 or DJI Go 4 4.0.1.

It is not a firmware or hardware issue.
The latest version I have installed on my iPhone is 4.3.20, and it still has the issue. I had quit flying my MPP, so I hadn't downloaded the latest app. If you say it doesn't exhibit the problem, then perhaps they've finally fixed the issue. It's been only a year, after all. I'll give it a try to see if it truly fixes the issue for me. Thanks for the response and tests.

The latest version I have installed on my iPhone is 4.3.20, and it still has the issue. I had quit flying my MPP, so I hadn't downloaded the latest app. If you say it doesn't exhibit the problem, then perhaps they've finally fixed the issue. It's been only a year, after all. I'll give it a try to see if it truly fixes the issue for me. Thanks for the response and tests.

The issue is in the more recent releases of DJI Go 4 so they haven’t fixed anything but you can use any other app or older DJI Go 4 versions and the issue will go away

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121