DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My 1st flight after the Gatwick scenario

I’m out flying again today so will report back if I have any encounters:rolleyes:
is that close encounters of the third kind watch out for UFOs

Reactions: Porky
I've been out several times recently, including one time when the Gatwick planes were still grounded. I've had nothing but good-natured comments and have been bantering with people when they were up for that. Today I had a longer spell out at the flying field in Richmond Park, and all the people who stopped wanted to know what I thought about the Gatwick mess. One woman said her husband has a drone but she had never looked at it...and asked me if I could show her what mine does/how the camera works, as she felt it was too late to ask him! All good.

My opening line to everyone who asks about Gatwick has been 'The laws don't need changing. These people/this person broke the law and would do that anyway. Some people drink and drive/text and drive. That's dangerous and therre are laws against it and most people obey them. There's no point making the responsible people (99%?) suffer because of a few idiots.'
Remember no camera on when flying at Richmond Park

Thumbswayup I find it best to do most things where there are no people
You and I think alike......
I first flew my drone on playing fields,local to me...no one around but then the usual dog walkers carrying bags of pooh attended my space,so I packed up and left.
I've walked and climbed many a terrain in and around Snowdonia so I know alot of areas where I know I'll be left alone.
I have to drive for over an hour or more to said location.
I won't say where for I don't want the location to be disclosed and have an abundance of flyers in said area.
People for me basically get in my way of most things I do in life....Nothing personal.

I get the question about spying on people's bedrooms a lot...and I usually respond with something along the lines of, "The thought never crossed my mind...do you want to borrow the drone?"

I mean, the people who think like that must be THINKING like that! Who's got the problem here?
Its unfortunate the non pilots think this way. I had a family member freak out about people flying drones, said" I'm not comfortable with people filming me" I said "look around you, every single person has a cell phone and some are actually taking pics and vids, and NOBODY is going out of there way to film you. Hows that different? He didn't get it. He has no clue except the fact that they are called drones and here is were I think a lot of the problem stems....Follow me on this.....The simple fact that the word "drone" is associated with spying is a huge part of the problem. Just say the word "Drone" to people and immediately spying comes to mind. Why? Because thats the word the military uses when they gather intelligence ect. I'm willing to bet if the word "Quad Copter" was used to describe our hobby it would be taken more lightly and not associated with spying. Just My opinion. Its probably to late in the game for this but think about it. it makes sense.

Reactions: W2EJ and raymo
Went out flying today, brilliant day I had;) flying for about an hour and a half, 3 batteries.. i didn’t see a single soul, so I thoroughly enjoyed myself which made me fill soooo much better again regarding our hobby.

@Asgard this would be a great spot for you, lol :D

I get the question about spying on people's bedrooms a lot...and I usually respond with something along the lines of, "The thought never crossed my mind...do you want to borrow the drone?"

I mean, the people who think like that must be THINKING like that! Who's got the problem here?
It's either called paranoia or projection. I'm always thinking, "Can I get a better shot of a waterfall, or a rock feature?", but that's just me. I'm told that I am very boring. Oh well.

The aerial shots that most of you have gotten all have interesting features to see, from a totally different perspective than ground-view. I love them. Desert shots, forest shots, lake shots and even city shots look very different from the aerial perspective. Advertisers all know this now. Consider how many ads now have UAV video footage incorporated into them. I love to call out, "Drone shot" when I see them. It happens a lot. Some of these folks who project their fury on us need to be told to watch some ads and then boycott those companies. Pretty soon, they won't be able to buy anything, cause most advertisers see the artistic value of aerial imaging and how it captures the heart and mind. WE understand this, much better than most.

Reactions: W2EJ and Pietros
Its unfortunate the non pilots think this way. I had a family member freak out about people flying drones, said" I'm not comfortable with people filming me" I said "look around you, every single person has a cell phone and some are actually taking pics and vids, and NOBODY is going out of there way to film you. Hows that different? He didn't get it. He has no clue except the fact that they are called drones and here is were I think a lot of the problem stems....Follow me on this.....The simple fact that the word "drone" is associated with spying is a huge part of the problem. Just say the word "Drone" to people and immediately spying comes to mind. Why? Because thats the word the military uses when they gather intelligence ect. I'm willing to bet if the word "Quad Copter" was used to describe our hobby it would be taken more lightly and not associated with spying. Just My opinion. Its probably to late in the game for this but think about it. it makes sense.
Just say "Hobby-copter". Even more innocuous.

Reactions: Bytored
Just say "Hobby-copter". Even more innocuous.
i always call mine UAVs that makes them ask what is a UAV i dont like the term drone to generic for me

I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro a few weeks back, I start learning how to fly in a quiet safe area near me and as I progress I started flying and filming along the UK's south coast. Then the Gatwick incident occurs and straight away I start to notice sarcastic comments as people walk past and a lot of moody looks lol.

So i start to get frustrated at how most human beings (semi) alive today are so easily programmed by the media. Then instead of allowing this situation to run its natural course I start to openly encourage some kind of friendly dialogue with any that make a comment or give strange looks.

Now a few weeks later I have had so many families, kids, couples and old folks come up to me and chat and I explain as best as I can on how safe drones are and I start getting people to turn their attention to A) The way Gatwick handled this and B) the way the media fuelled the whole story, so that they can sell more papers etc. I tried to bring peoples attention to how safe drones are and how poorly Gatwick Airport and the UK authorities went about dealing with this scenario, and guess what, it started to work.

Now people come and say hi and ask to look at what I've filmed etc and some even asked to be filmed! It just feels great to be able to connect to strangers after a very negative period and try my best to put real and valid information into peoples minds and try to undo some of the damage that was done.

FeelsGoodMan

Reactions: Pietros

the public think that drone users are all deviates who buy drones to spy threw bedroom windows.
my reply to questions like that is, why would I spend $1000s of $ on a drone, when a cheap pair of binocular’s would work much better.

Reactions: Pioneer007
the public think that drone users are all deviates who buy drones to spy threw bedroom windows.
my reply to questions like that is, why would I spend $1000s of $ on a drone, when a cheap pair of binocular’s would work much better.
Or..."Why would I spend $1000s on a drone when your wife invites me over when you're away?" !!! :)

Reactions: Jorgeo65
Yeah I know where your coming from but it seemed like people were making a be-line for me just to get there point across. Going back to the same location at the weekend, I’ll see what happens then;)

It’s strange. I haven’t had anything like that so far after two flights

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dond40127