DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Best drone flying Tip Ever! Whats yours?

Before I watched your video - and upon reading this thread's title - I immediately thought that the best advice/tip I could offer would be to fly often in ATTI Mode, so well done. You were already on it.

Of course, having said that, imagine my surprise when I discovered that my nice, new M2P did not come with the option of selecting ATTI Mode. It does now however, with Tripod Mode having been mapped to ATTI Mode, and only then did it become a complete UAV.

I use my P2V for ATTI and that has helped me a lot but this Mavic just is way tighter so to speak
as far as the response time in stick movements but is still good practice .
Thats all I use it for now .

Thank you for the tip on learning to fly in ATTI mode. I got an MA a couple weeks ago, getting better at flying in GPS mode, but haven’t tried ATTI. Just looked up that little drone you used in the video, $29 USD on Amazon, great investment to practice. Thanks again!

Excellent vid I watched it earlier today. I am nowhere near being an expert, but this is more or less how I learnt to fly a drone.

My first two drones were cheapi'sh non gps drones that I flew indoors and outside in the wind (I lost one on a very windy day and replaced it!)

Even now I keep them in my van with their batteries in an old ammunition tin and fly them every now and again for fun and just to 'keep my hand in'.

Flying a GPS drone with a good lock is really simple and a luxury in comparison to non GPS, simply because you don't have to contend with the constant inputs required just to hold position even on a relatively still day.

I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve I think, but doing this really helped with my confidence/competance. Really good advice thank you.

Atti mode is an awesome mode. To me, the footage is much smoother. My P3S had it as an option, and I configured a Spark to do it. I have yet to configure M2Z for it, and may not.

My best tip ever is to always be sure the home point is recorded, that the return to home altitude will clear everything, that the IMU strength is excellent, the compass signal is excellent, that the batteries are sufficiently charged, that the gimbal cover has been removed, etc...Essentially, all the fundamentals are covered before concerning myself with the camera.

Amen to that I can testify Thumbswayup Thumbswayup

My tip is don’t get in a hurry to get off the ground before you cross all your t’s And Dot all your I’s.
And second the other post about take gimbal come get off !!!!!!

My number one tip is to keep the drone in vlos at ALL TIMES!!!! Use it like it’s supposed to be used! If you lose orientation, take your hands off the sticks until you figure out the orientation before proceeding in flight. I’ve learned the hard way like many others!

Reactions: deltamike
My tip is don’t get in a hurry to get off the ground before you cross all your t’s And Dot all your I’s.
And second the other post about take gimbal come get off !!!!!!

I kept the DJI sticker on my gimbal cover and adjusted it to cover the battery power on button, this way I always remember to remove it (MA). If you discarded the DJI sticker, can always get a piece of scotch tape, fold a tab so it only sticks to the gimbal cover and not the battery and place it for the same purpose.

Reactions: Radpuppy
I get my first drone (M2Pro) Monday. I’ve been pouring over numerous posts in the forum, and reading most crash reports. All have reinforced my natural tendency to read a manual (Which I have & will do again.) and YouTube videos.

Question: Please expand on the following: “...new M2P did not come with the option of selecting ATTI Mode. It does now however, with Tripod Mode having been mapped to ATTI Mode, and only then did it become a complete UAV.”

Oh, my favorite tip, joining this forum before I purchased my 1st drone!

Thanks!

Just received the little Snaptain, really good and quite a funky piece of kit, as you say great practice from my desk whilst working, great in the garden too without risking my M2Z or giving the neighbours kids a haircut...

Just received the little Snaptain, really good and quite a funky piece of kit, as you say great practice from my desk whilst working, great in the garden too without risking my M2Z or giving the neighbours kids a haircut...

It’s definitely not a fan of strong breeze though! ?

It’s definitely not a fan of strong breeze though! ?

Not sure if it`s down to me being useless but, mine doesn`t hover too well, up and down all the time. The first few times I launched it and it shot at 1 million mph forward, left, right any which way, and outside was a definite no, no even with a slight breeze.

Getting a bit better now with recal and trimming, but I suppose this is what non GPS is, and for £27 it`s great fun and good indoor practice, still love it..

Question: Please expand on the following: “...new M2P did not come with the option of selecting ATTI Mode. It does now however, with Tripod Mode having been mapped to ATTI Mode, and only then did it become a complete UAV.”
ATTI mode is a normal function of the Mavic 2's. If you lose gps and sensors it enters this mode which simply holds the drones height (does vary slightly as it uses air pressure to calculate height and that is constantly changing some), and it will drift with the wind.

There is a way to map ATTI mode to the switch on the side of the controller. It is discussed in the Modifications part of the forum. If you wish to view that part, you need to set it up in your account settings. Go to Settings - Account Details, and check the box to view the "Software Mods Forum".
It looks like it is still available here as well:
Mavic 2 Atti mode

Last edited:
Reactions: deltamike
I have to second practicing with a toy first. It really does make flying the M2P alot easier starting out as well as your confidence factor.
I spend 90% of my flying time on these two whoops.

Quads.png

For indoors I got the Eachine E010 as I can use it with my "real" controller instead of the peanut controller that it comes with. The controllers make quite a difference in ease of flying between the two. It also does not have altitude hold so you have to take care of that as well (good practice).
Outdoors I have a iFlight CineBee. Its only about 150 grams so I can fly it anywhere with no registration or restrictions (except for the obvious things like not bothering others, ect) and takes most crashes and keeps on flying. It is still affected by the wind but still flys well in lighter winds (again good practice). The park I usually fly at is a quarter mile from the airport. My house is in a red zone so I cant fly my M2P around here...

I would reccomend to anyone starting out to get a toy and get used to the controls. That would be my number one tip as well. Even if you totally destroy it, it only costs about as much as a set of props on your big toy.
You can even practice hand catches...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13