DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My car charger is acting up

TedShred

Reactions
It goes off and on and off and on when charging a battery.

It keeps cycling about every 10 seconds.

This is the DJI car charger.

Anyone know why?

Last edited:
Is your car on while charging? Some 12v car battery chargers need to have the car running for higher voltage items.

"The Mavic 2 Car Charger has a maximum output power of 80W, allowing you to charge batteries while driving. It features overheating protection and low-voltage protection technology to ensure a safe and reliable charge and drive. "
That's it. Thanks.
I'm in a motorhome and I also tried the house 12v outlet and same thing.
I plugged it into the truck cab port, started the engine, and it stayed on.

It looks like it's charging even though it's cycling on and off. The battery is gaining lights.
I wonder if that will harm the charger?

ON EDIT...This is strange. I shut the engine off and the charger is now staying on via the cab port.

There are two outer prongs on the part that fits into the cigarette lighter adapter. Perhaps those prongs are not making a good connection on the other cigarette lighter ports. On can carefully slip a small flat blade screwdriver under those metal strips and "lightly" pry them outwards to increase the charge connectivity.

Fully charged 12V car battery is about 13.4V, I think below about 11.5V the DJI charger stops charging.

The charging voltage of a 12V vehicle battery via the alternator would be 13.4V dc, the engine would need to be running.

If the vehicle battery was fully charged 13.4V then the DJI charger would work until the vehicle battery drops to about 11.5V.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
If it’s a computer controlled alternator then there will be a whole new set of drama. The computer will disable the alternator when the battery is full to save fuel. Best to get a 10amp dc to converter rated at 9-15volt input and 13.8volt output.

I use existing Ebike batteries (36V about 500Wh) to recharge the DJI batteries. With a DC-DC converter I set the voltage to 12V and load the drone batteries with the DJI-12V-Car-Chager. That's enough for 3 cycles of the entire battery fleet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78