DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first flight - bad packaging and hot iphone 12

egearing

Reactions
So, I received my mini 2 from adorama and the packaging wasn’t very good. The shippers didn’t put any bubble wrap or peanuts in the shipping box which in turn allowed the shipping box to get crushed on one side. This affected the “Fly More Combo” box as well. It got crushed on one side as well. I emailed the customer service and they asked me to test everything and luckily everything seems to work fine.

So, that means I had my first flight today. This little thing is amazing. I only flew it in my backyard just below my privacy fence to try maneuvering so as not to disturb any neighbors. Not sure this will be too much of an issue though because the mini 2 is pretty quiet. I did take it straight up to about 150 feet or so and took a wide angle pano. Very fun stuff. My only concern is in the bright Texas sunlight, it was a bit hard to see the screen on my phone. I will have to see if I can brighten that up.

This brings me to one more thing… My iPhone 12 overheated during my first flight. The screen went dark and it said overheated or or something about temperature. Luckily, the mini was right above my landing pad so I landed it quickly. I did have the phone in a case and took that off. The phone was pretty hot. I let it cool off for a few minutes and tried again without the case and it seemed to be ok. But, this experience makes me a little nervous about flying too high or far. I know the rth thing should bring it back when disconnected, but jeez, I hope I don’t run into this again.

I will try again tonight and see if can get a decent sunset pic. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlysafeFry
I am also in TX, and find the the direct sunlight does the same to my iPhone 8+. I have a sun shade, but it doesn't help much at mid day. I try to fly early in the morning, or find a very shady spot to control the flight from.

My iPhone 12 overheated during my first flight. The screen went dark and it said overheated or or something about temperature.
Apple phones and iPads are prone to overheating in warm conditions, and having a case on it would keep the heat from escaping.
But, this experience makes me a little nervous about flying too high or far. I know the rth thing should bring it back when disconnected, but jeez, I hope I don’t run into this again.
Even if you lose the phone, you still have full control.
You can do a few tests to gain confidence.
1. Fly in a clear, open area, away from trees and other obstacles.
Fly the drone out 20-30 ft, disconnect the phone and fly around a little.
Then reconnect the phone.

2. Fly out more than 66 feet and switch off the controller to see what happens if you lose connection.

Flying more professional now in my opinion. Got the Tripltek and really impressed with it. I was concerned at first about the weight but pay no attention to it now.

You may have to bite the bullet and purchase a better device. I have four drones, I2 to Air 2s. I use the Crystalsky for all the drones except the Air 2s and purchased the Triolek tablet for that one. Both are bright and able to see very well in the TX sun. The Crystalsky tends to heat up but never shuts down from the temp.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Mike Shock

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61