DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first run in with the law over my drone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyGirlFlys

Reactions
So I got in a little trouble flying my drone today :( I was interested in taking some shots of the sports stadiums in Philly and I did until a man from the stadium came out telling me to “bring it down.” I obliged and he asked for my ID and took a picture of my license plate (I think he thought I was going to get in the car and drive off). I gave him my ID and asked him was I not allowed to fly here. He said that it was a no fly zone and I told him that on my app it tells me if I can’t fly and I didn’t know. I shut my drone down and apologized for flying. After a while I think he realized that i was literally just a person with a drone and not a spy for an opposing team and he started to lighten up. He told me the police were coming and a report would be made. After waiting 40 minutes, the police finally came. I simply told them I was flying my drone and didn’t know I couldn’t fly it and the cop said that it was just a warning and made a report. The supervisor from the stadium told me that he has to report it to his “higher ups” but he is unsure what happens after that.

Does anybody know anything about what may happen? Also, the DJI app didn’t give me any indication that it was a no fly zone so what can I do differently next time? Also, is there anything I can do if a situation like this occurs again?

They may have said it's a no-fly zone--but that doesn't mean it really is. They probably don't like people flying over the stadium, but that doesn't mean it's illegal. I see people in rural areas put up "Private Road--No Tresspassing" signs all the time, but when you actually look at a map it's public land--they just don't want you there. Know your rights, but follow the law.

Don't trust "just" the DJI app to keep you legal. Did you use anything else like AirMap or Kittyhawk?

Exactly what stadium was it you was flying over? Was anyone in/around the stadium?

At least you didn’t argue but did the best thing land and politely explain that you did at least check your available sources and thought it was OK apologised and left as soon as you could.

But more importantly did you get some good shots before the incedent ?

Don't trust "just" the DJI app to keep you legal. Did you use anything else like AirMap or Kittyhawk?

Exactly what stadium was it you was flying over? Was anyone in/around the stadium?
I didn’t use anything except for the DJI app. I’m a new flyer so I don’t know about the many apps. I was flying OVER the stadium I was flying outside of it but the supervisor said there’s a no fly zone over the stadiums and parking lots which is technically what I was flying over. No one was at the stadium except for security staff from what I know.

At least you didn’t argue but did the best thing land and politely explain that you did at least check your available sources and thought it was OK apologised and left as soon as you could.

But more importantly did you get some good shots before the incedent ?
I absolutely did lol definitely worth the 40 minute wait. I just hope I don’t get sued or something by the Eagles organization.

I didn’t use anything except for the DJI app. I’m a new flyer so I don’t know about the many apps. I was flying OVER the stadium I was flying outside of it but the supervisor said there’s a no fly zone over the stadiums and parking lots which is technically what I was flying over. No one was at the stadium except for security staff from what I know.
I would check multiple apps, and go with the understanding that the FAA owns the airspace. If they don't want you taking off or landing from their property, that is different than flying over it.

Were you standing on their property to do this flight? If so there could be some Land Use issues in addition to any flight restrictions.

I would check multiple apps, and go with the understanding that the FAA owns the airspace. If they don't want you taking off or landing from their property, that is different than flying over it.
What stadium if you don't mind. I can check, we can check.

Were you standing on their property to do this flight? If so there could be some Land Use issues in addition to any flight restrictions.
I was standing outside of the stadium, outside of the parking lot on the sidewalk.

Reactions: BigAl07
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa