DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first run in with the law over my drone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this was a spot I wondering if I could fly at. Now I know. However it is kinda odd because in one of the FB groups I'm in a guy in there flew his drone in the same area and all was ok for him. Maybe he just got lucky?

Reactions: PrettyGirlFlys
So I got in a little trouble flying my drone today :( I was interested in taking some shots of the sports stadiums in Philly and I did until a man from the stadium came out telling me to “bring it down.” I obliged and he asked for my ID and took a picture of my license plate (I think he thought I was going to get in the car and drive off). I gave him my ID and asked him was I not allowed to fly here. He said that it was a no fly zone and I told him that on my app it tells me if I can’t fly and I didn’t know. I shut my drone down and apologized for flying. After a while I think he realized that i was literally just a person with a drone and not a spy for an opposing team and he started to lighten up. He told me the police were coming and a report would be made. After waiting 40 minutes, the police finally came. I simply told them I was flying my drone and didn’t know I couldn’t fly it and the cop said that it was just a warning and made a report. The supervisor from the stadium told me that he has to report it to his “higher ups” but he is unsure what happens after that.

Does anybody know anything about what may happen? Also, the DJI app didn’t give me any indication that it was a no fly zone so what can I do differently next time? Also, is there anything I can do if a situation like this occurs again?
Have you registered your drone w/FAA! The guidelines cover most obvious situations where & where not you can fly.

Got it! I downloaded Kittyhawk. I see that some areas is an automatic authorization but some it says “not eligible for authorization” why wouldn’t I be eligible?
I have used both Kittyhawk and Airmap. IMO Airmap is easier to use - I would recommend you give it a try. I think you will like it.

Once again a stadium security is clueless to the actual rules. This is why it's so important to be the most educated person in the conversation.

As many others have mentioned, you did need to get airspace authorization. However, that was it. There was no TFR in effect at the time. There are no qualifying sports are going on at the moment in the U.S. So not TFRs. There will be some soon. MLB is getting going.

And remember, the TFR (actually NOTAM 7/4319) is based on stadium capacity, not actual attendees. So even if the MLB plays without spectators, there will still be a TFR.

Here is an article showing the correct way to fly at a stadium full of people. Prepared photog with DJI Mavic 2 Pro shoots drone photo of NFL Stadium

Reactions: BigAl07 and sar104
Hey, I was new to flying 6 months ago and started out with a mini as well. Now I got the itch and am flying a Air 2.

Couple things, grab air map from the app store and start using that for the following:
  1. Open it up before you fly to see if you are in a area to fly don't trust just the DJI App.
  2. As Lannes pointed out you have class B around there. From his pic you can see one square that is 0 "Interstate sign" you cant fly anything there. However, the one that says 100 interstate sign you can use air map to request to fly up to that 100 feet (max would be 400 in other areas that it tells you). if you get a FAA approval go for it (you will know in a few minutes of submitting).
Other couple of side things:
  • be aware of where you are flying... FAA owns air space but people that own the land you launch off have some rights too in a lot of cases. Unfortunately most people dont understand the rules or care so just be aware of where your flying and launching and landing.
  • A good attitude will get you far, unless you really want to shoot some place your legally allowed to fly it might be easier to move on if question or challenge by security forces.
just a few quick pointers welcome to the sub! there are a lot of good people in here. :)
Thanks a lot! The whole experience kind of shook me up. I feel bad because I feel like I should have known better.

First of all, I think you did a great job of staying calm and respectful. You must keep in mind that in addition to airspace restrictions, you are not allowed to fly over people without a waiver from the FAA. As a general rule, I never fly over or near stadiums or football fields. If I have turned down jobs that have asked me to fly over football fields to record games and practice. For me, its too much of a hassle and the pay is not there :)
Thanks for that! The stadium was totally empty as the NFL is not playing right now.

I work a mile from the stadiums. Up to around February you were allowed up to 300 ft.
I used to fly there regularly. Once the "stadium police" came and told me I was not allowed there. Showed them the LAANC authorization and they left very quickly. They were very nice and professional . Now the whole area from I95 and S. Front street all the way to the stadiums and past is 0 (zero feet). It literally goes from 300 ft on 95 behind Front st to zero, nothing in between. I hate people on here that like to school others, but it is clearly marked as zero....
The security guy told me the same thing that it use to be until recently and now it’s all of the stadiums and beyond.

The security guy told me the same thing that it use to be until recently and now it’s all of the stadiums and beyond.

But these are two different issues. Whether or not there was a change in the LAANC altitude limit from 300 ft to zero ft is irrelevant, because it required authorization in either case - it's just harder to get when the limit is zero. And in any case - that's an FAA airspace restriction due to the surface Class B airspace for Philadelphia International, and has nothing at all to do with the stadium or its security.

I have a mini and because of its weight I was under the assumption I didn’t have to register it.

Correct. Unless you add anything to the drone *at all*, like a prop guard, because it'll put you over weight.

Consider the registration requirements like, say, a dirt bike or other "undersized" motor vehicle. You may not *have* to register a vehicle like that, but that doesn't mean you can take it on the freeway... Registration and "where can you legally fly" are two wholly separate issues.

If I'm seeing that Class B depiction clearly, that is absolutely a No Fly zone to the surface. I doubt the stadium has any recourse, but the FAA does. I'd also like to highly encourage you to read up on drone regulations. That includes knowing how to read a sectional chart. From what I can read, you violated several laws.

If I'm seeing that Class B depiction clearly, that is absolutely a No Fly zone to the surface. I doubt the stadium has any recourse, but the FAA does. I'd also like to highly encourage you to read up on drone regulations. That includes knowing how to read a sectional chart. From what I can read, you violated several laws.

It's an FAA Authorization Zone not a No Fly Zone :)

It's an FAA Authorization Zone not a No Fly Zone :)

And the "0" doesn't mean "No Fly." It means "No automatic LAANC authorization is possible."

I live in a Class B with a 300' LAANC ceiling. I fly *a lot* here. I just submit my LAANC request with a max altitude of 300', and Bob's my uncle.

(Yes, I know *you* know this, BigAl07 - just clarifying for the newbies. ;) )

• Love
Reactions: buzz96 and BigAl07
Have you registered your drone w/FAA! The guidelines cover most obvious situations where & where not you can fly.
She is flying a mini she does not need to register. Still follow guidelines though

I could be wrong, but I dont think its possible to get an approval to fly in a 0 area under Class Bravo, automated or otherwise without a waiver.
And the "0" doesn't mean "No Fly." It means "No automatic LAANC authorization is possible."

I live in a Class B with a 300' LAANC ceiling. I fly *a lot* here. I just submit my LAANC request with a max altitude of 300', and Bob's my uncle.

(Yes, I know *you* know this, BigAl07 - just clarifying for the newbies. ;) )

I live in this area so let me shed some light into the issue there. The Philadelphia Sports Complex in general sits less than 5 miles from Philadelphia international airport. Some of the area you can get LAANC approval from the FAA some areas you can’t.

On a normal game day (not sure the times before and after) you absolutely can not fly there due to FAA rules and sporting events. The Phillies and Eagles both are conducting practices and meetings this week. I’m sure that was why there was an angry security guard.

I would pick a day in the winter when all the teams are off. It will be quiet and you shouldn’t have any distractions.

I would stay away from this area as a newer operator.

I would go check out the area behind the Art Museum it’s a drone friendly spot, also drive down to Chester PA where the Union soccer team play. They play right on the Delaware River and I’ve flown there numerous times around their stadium Subaru Park.

I could be wrong, but I dont think its possible to get an approval to fly in a 0 area under Class Bravo, automated or otherwise without a waiver.

You'd be wrong. It's an "authorization," not a "waiver."

Here's a pretty good write-up:

I have used both Kittyhawk and Airmap. IMO Airmap is easier to use - I would recommend you give it a try. I think you will like it.
not eligible is usually because you're too close to airport, night hours, or asking too far in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13