DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My MA2 got hit by a powerful laser.

No drones were harmed in the creation of the OP's video, so I doubt that will fly.
Oh, sure! Use logic and reason! That’s not fair!
I suspect the FAA may have more pressing things to investigate. After watching the video, I couldn’t say for sure the drone was being targeted. Looked like it could’ve been some kid screwing around, pointing the ‘powerful’ pen laser he got on Amazon randomly into the sky and happened upon the drone. Let’s see the damaged sensors and the melted fuselage before we rush to judgement.

Reactions: boblui and Meta4
Oh, sure! Use logic and reason! That’s not fair!
I suspect the FAA may have more pressing things to investigate. After watching the video, I couldn’t say for sure the drone was being targeted. Looked like it could’ve been some kid screwing around, pointing the ‘powerful’ pen laser he got on Amazon randomly into the sky and happened upon the drone. Let’s see the damaged sensors and the melted fuselage before we rush to judgement.

Can't agreed more. Wondering if anyone know high-power laser pens are commonly used for astronomy ?

At least you can fly your drone at night, and I presume also own a laser pointer. In Australia, both are prohibited !.

It's all very well for forum lawyers to confidently give their verdict, but has anyone ever seen the FAA care at all about anything similar?
I didn’t say anything about filing a report with the FAA or local authorities even. I was simply stating a fact in response to boblui’s comment regarding the legality of the action. What the OP does regarding the situation is their prerogative.

A google search regarding "Is it legal to shoot a lazer at a drone brought up the following results:

According to the FAA, a drone is an aircraft. ... It is illegal to harass or assault them in any way that puts their aircraft at risk of crashing. That goes for firing laser pointers at them just as much as anything

Next
The FAA considers unmanned aircraft of any size to be covered under Title 18 of the United States Code 32, which describes “sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States.” Violation of this code carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. In other words, it’s illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law.

The other concern is if they reports this to the FAA, unless they have special permission you are not to be flying drones at night in the US if I have read the rules correctly so they might also be putting themselves in jeopardy with the laws to.

Reactions: snapdog
You guys don't get it... have y'all looked at what it takes to become a commercial drone pilot and what the FAA puts you through? The main reason is if that hunk of plastic and metal falls out of the sky it can do harm to people... Also, when it is in the air like that it is in Federal airspace and under Federal rules.... too many folks, including some here it seems think drones are just expensive harmless toy's. I don't know if a standard laser can take down a drone or not... in theory it can damage a person's retina and so I suspect it would damage the sensors on the camera and could also damage the other sensors on the drone.

You guys don't get it... have y'all looked at what it takes to become a commercial drone pilot and what the FAA puts you through? The main reason is if that hunk of plastic and metal falls out of the sky it can do harm to people... Also, when it is in the air like that it is in Federal airspace and under Federal rules.... too many folks, including some here it seems think drones are just expensive harmless toy's. I don't know if a standard laser can take down a drone or not... in theory it can damage a person's retina and so I suspect it would damage the sensors on the camera and could also damage the other sensors on the drone.
Dont let criminals know they cause damage to cameras, they will all have lasers when robbing banks like they do in the movies

have y'all looked at what it takes to become a commercial drone pilot and what the FAA puts you through?
It's just an exam with no practical component.
You can pass the Part 107 without ever having flown a drone and some do.

My thinking here, is that if the person will point a laser at a drone, he would also point one at a manned aircraft. The house in the video where the laser came from, can easily be identified. I think the FAA would and should, at least, issue a warning about pointing lasers at any aircraft.

First time posting on this forum. I got really mad at the moment and flew where the guy was lasering from. Maybe not a good idea, but luckily I didn't find anything wrong with the camera sensor. I was so mad when it happened but cooled off. Well here are a couple of pictures I took that night. Video link:

This is unrelated, but I see that you took some long exposure shots. I’m somewhat of a noob with my air 2. How’d u manage to get these?!?! They look great.

Aside from laws e legality of things, I’d like to know if this kind of laser pointer could do some type of harm in the camera sensor or if it could make the drone sensors to act weirdly. In the safe instructions of these pointers we find only avoiding point to human or animal eyes... But nothing about optical devices.

Let me get this straight. You flew to a location where you knew lasers were being pointed at things? You either wanted trouble or you lack any shred of common sense.

The other concern is if they reports this to the FAA, unless they have special permission you are not to be flying drones at night in the US if I have read the rules correctly so they might also be putting themselves in jeopardy with the laws to.
You have not read the rules correctly. If this was a recreational flight, it is legal to fly at night. If it was a flight in accordance with Part 107 of the regulations (A commercial flight), you need a waiver to fly at night.

Reactions: onewalkey
lasers and camera sensors are bad news, that is the only damage I could forsee, also the safety sensors placed around the drone have their own sensors that could be messed up by lasers.

lasers and camera sensors are bad news, that is the only damage I could forsee, also the safety sensors placed around the drone have their own sensors that could be messed up by lasers.

those are very powerful laser, not saying it cant happen with a pen laser..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne